IPOD LAW SUIT

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

IPOD LAW SUIT

#1 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:45 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3477497.stm

I deiscovered this working with the Ipod about 2 years ago, but its taken this long for someone to step up. I simply didnt buy it, that being on one of a few reasons.

I know a couple people who Ipods are dead, battery life sucks, and it deterorates until it cannot be re-charged, this tends to be normal in any Battery, except, the Apple has such a short life, and it's so damn expensive, and lastly they make the customers pay for the Faulty Battery.

if people bought products for other then looks this problem would have never came up. LOL j/k
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Lawrence

Re: IPOD LAW SUIT

#2 Post by Lawrence » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:11 pm

I had a similar problem with Sony's ultra-small minidisc players: the batteries never lasted that long and pretty much gave out after less than a year of normal use. But at least they have detatchable AA battery attachments to boost the inadequate battery that comes with the player.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Drew

#3 Post by Drew » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:31 am

I remember this being brought up here, where this movie was posted.

It doesn't influence my decision on an iPod, which I plan on procuring a 40GB model within the next couple of months.

If people sue and win free replacement of iPod batteries, way to go. But I don't ever recall reading or hearing anything about battery life in any Apple literature. Is this an offense of omission?

There is now a replacement battery program in place for $99, and AppleCare for $59...but having been forever Apple, why now should we expect their hardware to suddenly become cheap?

And lastly, it's not like batteries in cell phones, laptops, PDAs and other digital toys last forever.

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:30 am

Drew wrote:And lastly, it's not like batteries in cell phones, laptops, PDAs and other digital toys last forever.
But they don't cost $100 to replace. And that's the gist of the lawsuit: Apple failed to disclose a rather relevant fact to a consumer's decision to purchase or not purchase the item. It also depends on the consumer law at issue: some give a cause of action for willfully withholding material information that would affect a reasonable consumer's decision to purchase; others only give a cause of action for intentional misrepresentations. (The difference between lying and simply not telling the whole truth.)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:09 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Drew wrote:And lastly, it's not like batteries in cell phones, laptops, PDAs and other digital toys last forever.
But they don't cost $100 to replace.
It costs $69.00 for a 3.7v Lithium Polymer replacement for an Ipod, for my cell phone, a 3.6 Lithium Ion battery, it costs $50 for a replacement.

Lithium Polymer batteries are more expensive than Lithium Ion, the main advantage is the lowprofile and light weight which adds to the overall appeal of the Ipod (its small size and weight).

It doesnt seem that unreasonable to pay $69.00 dollars for a replacement battery for a $300+ item, when you would have to pay $50 for a $200 item.

The bottom line is Apple has a reputation for quality and not just because they are expensive ;) but because over the years their products have proven over and over to set the standards, not try to meet them.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Zot

#6 Post by Zot » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:35 pm

I've yet to experience this problem myself, despite having had an iPod since they first came out (I got one of the first in Australia) and having recently upgraded to a third generation 40 Gig model.

I personally think that the gripes about the battery life are more to do with Apple's failure to respond quickly to criticisms about future replacements than a huge epidemic of failed batteries. This has been fueled by the story in the UK (which Peter mentioned) that has been simmering for a while. I've been following it with interest, but there has never been any evidence that there is a large number of people out there with this problem. Yet.

My advice is: don't believe everything you read in newspapers. Talk to people who've owned one yourself and figure out if it's right for you. Me? I'd never be without my iPod.

SirScratchAlot

#7 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:36 am

I dont think the lawsuit was about normal wear and tear life of the battery, was so much shorter then the consumer standard it should be mentioned.

replacement price I think is normal, for a normal working device.

I dont **beleive** It all Ipods only a certain model or make , just as not all the hardrives are made by the same place. (although, Ive heard the Hitachi drive Ipods seems to be the best)

Falty can chime in here as the expert.

My laptop weighs almost the same as an Ipod and it plays CD's and was not much more in price.....lol , so I dont have a use for one right now....But I think I'll get the Mini Ipod use, that little bad boy awhile.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

platt

#8 Post by platt » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:28 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:My laptop weighs almost the same as an Ipod and it plays CD's and was not much more in price.....lol , so I dont have a use for one right now....But I think I'll get the Mini Ipod use, that little bad boy awhile.
good luck getting a hold of a mini

as far as battery life, those batteries only last a certain amount of cycles and when used to specifications, battery life is much shorter. That being said, have you ever read the "optimum" way to use those batteries? Its a silly non-realistic list of things to do and dont do. Basically use the thing until the battery has almost no charge, charge and repeat. The hard part about that is when it grabs a charge from your computer (mac firewire, etc).

With that said, yeah applecare works or you could get a new battery installed. or if you are really daring you can get a third party battery and crack that baby open yourself. Now i have seen certified mac techs open those up and destroy them, so have fun.

SirScratchAlot

#9 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:56 pm

platt wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:My laptop weighs almost the same as an Ipod and it plays CD's and was not much more in price.....lol , so I dont have a use for one right now....But I think I'll get the Mini Ipod use, that little bad boy awhile.
good luck getting a hold of a mini

as far as battery life, those batteries only last a certain amount of cycles and when used to specifications, battery life is much shorter. That being said, have you ever read the "optimum" way to use those batteries? Its a silly non-realistic list of things to do and dont do. Basically use the thing until the battery has almost no charge, charge and repeat. The hard part about that is when it grabs a charge from your computer (mac firewire, etc).

With that said, yeah applecare works or you could get a new battery installed. or if you are really daring you can get a third party battery and crack that baby open yourself. Now i have seen certified mac techs open those up and destroy them, so have fun.
Yea, well how long have they been out? we are really starting hear about the flaws now...connection in Head set seems to be the biggest complaint.
I wonder how the apple lawsuits are coming along...