Any advice on external hard drives?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

tornredcarpet

#16 Post by tornredcarpet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:18 am

Seagate drives are usually pretty good, but in a certain date range and from a specific factory have serious problems (I believe it was tracked down to a certain floor cleaner they were using that ended up leaving some kind of film or something on everything). So watch out for refurbished drives.

LaCie makes some pretty nice drives, I use a couple myself. I also used a desktop drive of theirs that crashed catastrophically- I tried sending it to a place for recovery with no luck- Jesse has it right now- I wonder if he can do anything with it (it has SITC06 pictures on it!!!!)

I heard G-Technology had some of the best reliability ratings currently (I skimmed this from some mac magazine I was browsing through.... don't remember which)... but they tend to be on the pricey end.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

Dj G

portable hdd

#17 Post by Dj G » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:07 pm

I've been using 6x 1tb WD my book drives for the last year for home storage.

Also have using 4x 320gb WD passport drives that I dj off of; they take their power from the usb port so make sure your ports can supply enough power for them, I had to go with 2 powered micro sized 4 usb 2.0 hubs. It seems that 2 of these hdd units are all that a powered hub can handle (but keyboards, mice and flash drives will work in the other 2 slots just fine).

The passports have been great (until you drop them! good thing I have a 1tb drive dedicated just for backup of the passports) and are very compact and lightweight. One other issue: when using a library management software (I use the iDJ2 with Numark libarian software) I have to have 10% free space on the drive for the library to built on (that's why I can back them up onto one 1tb drive).

Hope it helps.

Greg
Yeah, that's Dj G over there; under the CD Bins, digging contently in the 45 rpm box :)