cd player that support MP3 and WMF

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KattenPejst

cd player that support MP3 and WMF

#1 Post by KattenPejst » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:27 pm

Hi!

Do any of you know if there are any professional cd-players
(i.e. for dj purposes) that support cds burned with mp3 and/or WMF?
Just wondering.

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Numark makes a couple of MP3/CD players, the MPCD3 (single) and MPCD33 (double).

Gemini makes the MP-3000X.

Pioneer makes the DMP555.

Denon makes the DN-D4000.

I have no experience with any of these so I can't vouch for compatibility or quality. The Gemini is probably the cheapest (cost wise).

I don't know of any professional gear that plays wma files. You may want to check out the thread on laptop DJing, the PCDJ software also has a controller available that will give you the same control panel that you'd find on a professional CD player.

Lawrence

#3 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:11 pm

Absolutely. Almost every line of professional CD player makes MP3 compatible players. (The question is so broad that it's difficult to answer other than saying "yes"). However, the last I checked, they do cost significantly more than ordinary CD players.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Jake

#4 Post by Jake » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:32 am

I've thought about this in the past, because you can fit so many more mp3s on a CD than actual music tracks. But I would never want to DJ with such a setup, because having too many of your tracks on one CD is a bad idea: if two of the tracks you want to play in sequence are on one CD, you have no ability to transition between them smoothly or with any of the control that a mixer gives.

For that reason, I say if you're going to use mp3's use a laptop with a software mixer or two-channel output and a hardware mixer...

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:26 pm

Jake wrote:I've thought about this in the past, because you can fit so many more mp3s on a CD than actual music tracks. But I would never want to DJ with such a setup, because having too many of your tracks on one CD is a bad idea: if two of the tracks you want to play in sequence are on one CD, you have no ability to transition between them smoothly or with any of the control that a mixer gives.

For that reason, I say if you're going to use mp3's use a laptop with a software mixer or two-channel output and a hardware mixer...
You (whoever actually used such a player) could burn two copies of every MP3 CD you have. That way, when you DJ, you have all your songs at your disposal for previewing.

Even if you had two copies of everything, the total number of CDs would be much smaller in comparison to a regular CDs.

Not that I am interested in going that route, my CDRs work fine for me. It is a lot easier getting to the song you want on a CD with 18-20 tracks then one with 100+ tracks.

I do use MP3 CDRs at the office for listening and they do an awesome job. I am able to have a lot more music at my disposal than I used to. One of my goals is to one day have all of my music at the office in this format. Obviously, my company does not allow for MP3s to be loaded on company computers. They don't care about MP3 on CDs being played by WinAmp.

The office also serves as a good offsite back-up in case my house burns down or something. I will still have the MP3 versions. NOTE: I do have insurance on my CDs at home. But, that is no reason to not back them up.

Nathan