How do I extract this song from this CD

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

How do I extract this song from this CD

#1 Post by julius » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:36 pm

I bought -- BOUGHT -- "George and Ira Gershwin in Hollywood" for the "symphony in swing" artie shaw version of Lady Be Good.

But now my CD-ROM drive won't recognize the CD, and therefore I cannot take the song (the only worthwhile dance song on the whole double disc set, basically) and put it on a compilation.

How do I extract the song and put it on a compilation?

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:12 pm

I've got a male-to-male connector a friend gave me...shouldn't be too hard to find at Best Buy. Comes out the headphone jack of my stereo, plugs into the microphone jack of my computer. That's how I ripped some tapes; should work for CDs, too.

Double-click the volume control in the system tray (assuming you're using Windows), and click Options->Properties. Recording, OK. Make sure Microphone Balance is the selected input, and that its volume is at a reasonable level. Then open up Goldwave (not sure where you can download it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find, and it's Shareware) or some other sound-ripping program you've got, and that should do it.

Lawrence

#3 Post by Lawrence » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:54 pm

I have run into this sort of problem, myself. KitKat's suggestion is a legitimate last resort, but it ends up translating the music from digital to analog and then back to digital, which can noticeably reduce the sound quality even if you have a perfect sound card and such.

Sometimes I can't copy a song "on the fly" (CD directly to CD-R) but can save the file onto my hard drive and then burn it to a CD-R. I did so using Nero.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Ron

#4 Post by Ron » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:55 pm

I've had that happen a couple times, I can't rip a song. I try cleaning the disk, but it doesn't work. It plays fine on a stereo, probably because of some error correction. But why the computer can't be smart enough to either skip, interpolate or copy the errors instead of getting hung up on them, I don't know.

coldnight

#5 Post by coldnight » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:00 pm

Ron wrote:I've had that happen a couple times, I can't rip a song. I try cleaning the disk, but it doesn't work. It plays fine on a stereo, probably because of some error correction. But why the computer can't be smart enough to either skip, interpolate or copy the errors instead of getting hung up on them, I don't know.
Sometimes, when I am ripping to MP3 (I know, not the same, but...) I have found that certian software doesn't work properly, but another software might. This might be the case the the original poster, too. I would look NERO to pull the redbook file off the CD and failing that, other software which does the same thing. I don't know why some readers/encoders blow up unexpectedly but sometimes they just do.

John

Yakov

#6 Post by Yakov » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:11 am

EAC slows down to a crawl on some scratched discs (0.1x on one of mine) and finally achieves success after a terrible struggle. (it's free but windows only)

julius

#7 Post by julius » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:44 am

i think in the end it was some bizarre operating system issue. in the intervening year i've reinstalled the OS and had no problem ripping the track (to .wav or mp3) last night.

and boy, is it a smoking track.

Jerry_Jelinek

#8 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:14 pm

Do you have a CD player with a digital output? If your sound card has digital input, you might be able to record the digital output from a CD player into the computer in real time.

I do a slight variation from this all the time to capture signal from LPs, reel tapes and other 'analog' signals.

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:26 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:Do you have a CD player with a digital output? If your sound card has digital input, you might be able to record the digital output from a CD player into the computer in real time.

I do a slight variation from this all the time to capture signal from LPs, reel tapes and other 'analog' signals.
Computer Software will handle this better, as it can re-read the offending track (like EAC does), and attempt to correct any flaws in the disc by "averaging out" the retries.

The digital stream would be interupted by a scratch, and therefore unusable unless you hand edit the file.

Jerry_Jelinek

#10 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:39 am

GemZombie wrote:
Jerry_Jelinek wrote:Do you have a CD player with a digital output? If your sound card has digital input, you might be able to record the digital output from a CD player into the computer in real time.

Computer Software will handle this better, as it can re-read the offending track (like EAC does), and attempt to correct any flaws in the disc by "averaging out" the retries.

The digital stream would be interupted by a scratch, and therefore unusable unless you hand edit the file.
I'm not following your thought here. I record LPs via an external A-D convertor and record in real time into the computer using Sound Forge. How is this different than what your saying?

GemZombie

#11 Post by GemZombie » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:18 pm

That's different, the analog signal is converted to digital in yoru format.

In a CD, the raw stream from the CD is sent, if it skips, it'll just come out as a skip in the stream as well... it won't change the fact that there's a skip.

EAC reads the data off the CD multiple times if necessary and corrects the audio stream before writing it.

Yakov

#12 Post by Yakov » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:33 pm

EAC screwed up on one of my discs today... :cry:

mark0tz

#13 Post by mark0tz » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:24 pm

I wouldn't blame EAC but rather the disc. I've been VERY impressed by EAC and its ability to problem solve some of my more troubled scratched up discs.
Mike Marcotte

Yakov

#14 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:49 pm

actually, right now i blame the drive -- there was a half-second of loud fuzz at the same point (about midway through the third or fourth track) on two different discs, and the rest of it sounds perfect. (in both cases.) they are brand-new, shiny happy discs. this is an old system, i'm moving on soon, so it's not worth dealing with in any organized way. i can just rerip those individual tracks when i need to

-yakov.

Yakov

#15 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:51 pm

btw, the new EAC (unstable beta -- it's stable :)) is a lot easier than previous versions .. i think it was released in april.

it's fun to watch lame.exe do VBR, you can watch a bar graph of how many frames at which bit rates.