Software for cd-information sheets

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KattenPejst

Software for cd-information sheets

#1 Post by KattenPejst » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:44 pm

Hi!

I'm in the process of making backup cds from my original ones. When I've done that in the past I have just placed the jewel cases on the copy machine to get info about the cd. I would like to generate information sheets from my pc instead which I think would be much easier. Some of you must have done this before, so I'm wondering if you could recommend any program?

Besides the basic stuff (like artist, track and track length) it would be nice if one could add some small comments about bpm, style etc
So, any suggestions?

/Henrik

LazyP

#2 Post by LazyP » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:24 am

Any text editor or if you want it fancy, Adobe Illustrator. With Illustrator you can decide your own format of everything (which I personally like very much)

/Patrik
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

KattenPejst

#3 Post by KattenPejst » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:06 am

Well, that's an option but what I really would like to do is to put in a cd in my computer and the program will either read the cd-text info from from the cd or look it up in CDDB and automagically fill in the required fields and present a nice layout that is ready to print out. I want to do as little layout stuff by hand as possible. The process should preferably take half a minute or less.

CafeSavoy

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:28 am

Some jewel case creators can generate track listings from cddb; i know that Nero and Adaptac (now called something else) can generate that info.

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:14 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Some jewel case creators can generate track listings from cddb; i know that Nero and Adaptac (now called something else) can generate that info.
I use the CDDB option for my track listings using Easy Creator (aka Roxio/Adaptec).

I usually have to clean the listings up a little bit afterwords, but it saves me from having to type out everything.

Nathan

gatorgal

#6 Post by gatorgal » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:16 am

Nate Dogg wrote:
I use the CDDB option for my track listings using Easy Creator (aka Roxio/Adaptec).

I usually have to clean the listings up a little bit afterwords, but it saves me from having to type out everything.

Nathan
I just got Roxio... can you tell me where this option is?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Greg Avakian

#7 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:33 am

Nate Dogg wrote: I usually have to clean the listings up a little bit afterwords, but it saves me from having to type out everything.

Nathan
Do you mean to say you can edit/add stuff to the printable version? Can you take the info and put it in word or WP?

BTW, I've made a template in Word and just fill things in, but I'm always woefully behind in the labeling.

Music match allows you to print a label, but the only info is tittle, artist and time.

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:56 am

Greg Avakian wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: I usually have to clean the listings up a little bit afterwords, but it saves me from having to type out everything.

Nathan
Do you mean to say you can edit/add stuff to the printable version? Can you take the info and put it in word or WP?

BTW, I've made a template in Word and just fill things in, but I'm always woefully behind in the labeling.

Music match allows you to print a label, but the only info is tittle, artist and time.
I misspoke earlier. The CDDB does not really come into play when making labels, the option is load CD contents or something like that. I was running the ripping, burning, and the labeling together in my mind.

It does autopopulate that tracks. You can edit the text from there.

I have an older verion of Easy Creater (at least 3 years old). I use Nero for burning and CDex for ripping. Easy Creator is only used for the labels.

Just to clarify, my process:

1. Rip CD tracks in CDex, I do a CDDB look up using CDex and most of the tracks are found.
2. Burn CD using Nero
3. Place burned CD in drive, use Easy Creator to make label, use load CD contents which removes the need to type out tracks. I add rows for labeling, I then edit to make lable fit my preferences (artist-title, font size 9, etc..).

To date I can't put it in Word, Other than cutting and pasting each track. I wish I could. Even better, I wish I could export track listings to a csv file, that way I could build a database of my CDs quickly.

dana

#9 Post by dana » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:40 am

Nate Dogg wrote:To date I can't put it in Word, Other than cutting and pasting each track. I wish I could. Even better, I wish I could export track listings to a csv file, that way I could build a database of my CDs quickly.
Do you have Winamp? Winamp lets you save out playlists as .txt or as .html files. Just stick in a cd, winamp grabs the info from cddb, and hit save tracklist, and you're done. That's how I've been making cd labels.

Another thought - can you do something like this in cdex? I have never looked and I don't have it installed at work. :)

d.

djstarr

#10 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:54 am

Nate Dogg wrote:I wish I could export track listings to a csv file, that way I could build a database of my CDs quickly.
I have Roxio but haven't experimented with labels too much; I'm copying tracks from Amazon listings into Excel, then adding times, bpms and comments. I have a nifty Excel workbook now that I coud load to a database if I ever got real ambitious.

I'm sure there must be a better way, but it's straightforward and I've always been a good typist! It's also something I can do at work when I get bored ;-)

Here's my stupid question for the day - what's CDDB?

Swifty

#11 Post by Swifty » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:30 pm

djstarr wrote:Here's my stupid question for the day - what's CDDB?
CD DataBase: http://www.gracenote.com/gn_products/cddb.html

Greg Avakian

#12 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:01 pm

Swifty wrote:
djstarr wrote:Here's my stupid question for the day - what's CDDB?
CD DataBase: http://www.gracenote.com/gn_products/cddb.html
Most ripping software automatically looks up a CD in the CDDB database and displays the info as your track list, artist name and album.

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:29 pm

cool - thanks for the quick replies. So the link says that the track information includes bpm, genre and sub-genre. That would save a lot of time if that was easily downloaded and if the info was correct.

Nate - have you seen the bpm info listed? Anyone else try this?

p.s. that also explains why sometimes the info is wrong - I was cataloging Spinnin' the Webb and both Amazon and allmusic had the tracks wrong.

Spin Doctor

#14 Post by Spin Doctor » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:06 am

Hmmm, I've been away for a while so I don't know what features Jesse has programmed into this board. Is there a file upload area? I made an Excel template a few years ago that I use to copy and paste the song listings from iMusic into a play list for printing nice little square inserts that fit into the sleeves of my CD cases. If anyone is interested in using it, I'll be happy to upload it.

Also, for those who use Macintosh here, iMusic also pulls data from the CDDB. Occasionally I find a CD that is not listed (usually a new swing CD) and then I use iMusic to create the song list and upload it to the CDDB for others to use.

morte100

#15 Post by morte100 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:27 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:BTW, I've made a template in Word and just fill things in, but I'm always woefully behind in the labeling.
I spend bajillions of hours putting my BPM, Genre, Preference, Tempo, Mood and Situation listings in Musicmatch, but there's really no graceful way of printing that out to labels. Even their pricey CD Labeler Kit offers no help here.

I use MP3 Collector to export a text file of my mp3 tags. then i use Excel to format that info into purty labels. Not exactly the 30 second process you're looking for though. :lol:

_david