Nero 6.0

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

Nero 6.0

#1 Post by Lawrence » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:35 am

Nero 6.0 is out. (Most versions we have are 5.x.x.) I have not tried it, but it seems like the upgrade we were anticipating, including enhanced multi-media and editing features. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, yet.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:59 pm

A few months later... anyone????
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

kitkat

#3 Post by kitkat » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:52 am

Free upgrade to version 6 before 12/31.
http://upgrade.nero6.com/en/index.php

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:44 pm

um... why do I want this program? What does it do?

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:06 am

*shrug*

I've found Nero 5 essential but sufficient--haven't bothered trying to upgrade to 6 yet.

It's a CD burning program that is more reliable than most others, that's all. I especially like it because it accepts .m3u files.

mity

#6 Post by mity » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:10 pm

i would consider v.6, if tis faster than v.5. has any one tried the new one yet? if yes, is it faster?

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:41 pm

I'm interested in hearing how it works too. I have Roxio now (not sure which version) but I'm sure there's better stuff out there.

Tina 8)

Lawrence

#8 Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:50 pm

Yakov wrote:um... why do I want this program? What does it do?
:shock: :shock:

Nero is the premier CD buring and editing program out there. We had a thread about it several months ago (click here), and here is what I wrote there:
I have not surveyed the entire market, but of the 10-15 or so burning software programs I have used, Nero is by far the best. I have heard so from others, as well. The full version allows you to split tracks, fade in and fade out, and has many other useful features. I've used it to cut out a capella intros or long, undanceable outtros, and sometimes to even splice a bass solo or so out of the middle of a song. It also taps into a music database (CDDB.com?) to automatically download disc and track names from any source CD.

Nero has two downfalls. Although it has more features, it is not as user friendly as some others. But once you learn it, it is better. It is not impossible or very difficult to learn, just not "idiot-friendly" like Easy CD Creator is.

Second, my version of Nero does not allow me to compile a CD "on the fly," meaning that I need to copy the songs onto the hard drive when they come from different disks before burning the CD. Easy CD Creator allowed me to use multiple source disks when recording "on the fly." I actually set up two source drives when I used Easy CD Creator so I could change the CD in one drive while the other drive was working. In Nero, the only way I have found to record "on the fly" is if I use just one source CD, making "on the fly" compilations impossible. If I want to compile from different CDs, I need to record to my hard drive, first. It might be possible and I just have not figured it out, and later versions might have added it (I have versions 5.0.4.6 and 5.5.6.2). But it was intuitive and easy to figure out on Easy CD Creator.

The version I got with my desktop burner also has a 30-use trial-version MP3 ripper. The full version should include an MP3 ripper.

You can download a trial 30-day version of Nero from their website. If you pay attention to the cookie they place on your computer to track the time you used it, you can turn it into a "permanent" version.

I also suspect that Nero will come out with a version 6, soon, because Version 5.5.xxx.xx has been around for quite some time, now. You might want to use the trial version and hold off buying it until then.
That actually brings up two other huge features of Nero. First, it has error correction that is better than most other programs I have used, including Easy CD Creator. It will correct gaps even on slightly scratched CDs (where the DATA side is scratched). I had a few data-scratched CDs (little pin-sized nicks, not bubbles or long tears) that would skip in any CD player I've tried. Easy CD Creator merely reproduced the errors. I then recorded them onto my hard drive with Nero, and Nero corrected the errors. Don't know how, it just did.

Second, Nero has an extremely idiot proof buffer underrun protection which prevents "coasters." (Learned a new word). I have an old Pentium 2 300 mhx desktop, and have run several programs while burning a CD to intentionally TRY to get the CD burn to fail (just to test it out), and it took quite a bit before I was able to do it. Mostly, it only failed when Windows had been running a while and had ate up memory. With ordinary programs running, it does a great job of protecting from buffer underrun.
I think Nero also was the first to come with "burn-proof" buffer underrun protection, although that seems to be a common feature now.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Lawrence

#9 Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:51 pm

kitkat wrote:Free upgrade to version 6 before 12/31.
http://upgrade.nero6.com/en/index.php
My versions came with my burners (it was the deciding factor in deciding which burner to purchase when I bought my most recent one). The free upgrade only applies to store-bought copies. :(
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop