CDR = time bomb?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

dana

#16 Post by dana » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:45 am

To some degree, it depends on your burner. Sites like http://cdrlabs.com/ post reviews and tests of new burners (and tons of older ones) with media recommendations.

Barring that, I generally find that the more expensive, the better, sadly. I have some "buy 100 for $30" cds at home, and although they're fine for compilations of mp3s to play in the car for a few weeks, I don't trust them with my precious swing music.

I wouldn't buy anything:
- with a white matte top (they peel)
- that's "designed for DJs" - same quality, huge price increase (and I'm talking about those LP-looking ones here too)

I've been thinking of switching to those Sony or Kodak photo-archive CDs, but I'm not sure how good they'll be against scratches.

d.

Toon Town Dave

#17 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:00 pm

I read somewhere there were only a handful of OEMs making CD-R media and a lot of the big brands are just re-branded from these OEMs. Some OEMs are apparently better than others.

I found a little utility called CDRIdentifier (Windoze software). The only CD-R media it couldn't identify was a batch of crappy CD's that had a 100% coaster ratio in my CD drive. A little help from google and you can proibably find opinions on known OEMs.

dana

#18 Post by dana » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:31 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:I read somewhere there were only a handful of OEMs making CD-R media and a lot of the big brands are just re-branded from these OEMs. Some OEMs are apparently better than others.

I found a little utility called CDRIdentifier (Windoze software). The only CD-R media it couldn't identify was a batch of crappy CD's that had a 100% coaster ratio in my CD drive. A little help from google and you can proibably find opinions on known OEMs.
that cdrlabs site I linked above lists compatible media by OEM and by rebranded name. Interesting, really.

d.

dana

#19 Post by dana » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:14 am

Here's an article on some Dutch research stating that CDRs are virtually unreadable after only 20 months:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7751