Beats Audio

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CountBasi

Beats Audio

#1 Post by CountBasi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:33 am

I found out about Beats Audio by wandering into my nearby Best Buy. I'm not quite yet ready to get myself a new laptop but I will want to within the next 6-8 months.

Has anyone any greater insight or experience with this ? The staff in the store and the review I found online are giving big thumbs up to the sound system enhancements it makes on the laptop it's installed on.

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/hp-envy-15
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 am

I've never had any problem with the audio from my laptop, even before I used a Turtle Beach Micro. Do you find you do?

My cynical nature leads me to believe this is marketing hype, but the only way to be sure is to try out your laptop and this HP thing with the same digital tracks, the same player, the same OS, and the same headphones or sound system.

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:52 pm

I agree with having the kind of cynicism you have, hence I didn't get tooo excited about this and buy the laptop off the shelf.

I also use a Turtle Beach and definitely have no complaints either. Then again, I'm no ultra-experienced audiophile. I don't necessarily assume I have the best possible setup, as technology advances always make it possible to some degree that things can get better.

The reviews I've heard and read certainly make it sound like this system makes a real difference. Some of these reviews come from impartial sources with no obvious vested interest, hence I give them some credence too.

"HP took extra care to isolate the audio components on the motherboard to avoid the interference that can result in static on some PCs, and it also added an amplifier and DSP to boost and enhance the audio."
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Surreal

#4 Post by Surreal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Grabbed from an online blurb...
Beats Audio™ technology was created to redefine what digital music playback should be. HP's exclusive partnership with Dr. Dre and legendary music producer Jimmy Iovine has resulted in a superior audio system that reproduces the original sonic integrity of digital tracks–letting you hear the music the way recording artists intended. With Beats Audio™ inside your HP computer, you'll feel the music like never before.
It kinda makes the audiophile in me scoff a bit. No amount of digital processing will reproduce "sonic integrity" that wasn't there before, and if you're working with poorly encoded music then it'll still sound poorly encoded. Digital processing might add effects, *maybe* reduce some noise, generate reverb and room acoustics, play with the equalizer, etc, but it can't really improve it.

Creative had their whole Crystalizer thing in their sound card a few years ago. It made news for a little bit, but it's mostly an afterthought now.

CountBasi

#5 Post by CountBasi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:07 pm

OK that sounds like a thumbs down so I'll treat it with a pinch of salt for now.

Thanks!

Platypus

#6 Post by Platypus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:05 pm

All I know is that in the past few months, I have had at least four people say something about the difference in sound between me using a sound card and others who don't. Dancers DO notice.

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Platypus wrote:All I know is that in the past few months, I have had at least four people say something about the difference in sound between me using a sound card and others who don't. Dancers DO notice.
And naturally that was the ONLY difference between your setup and the other DJs', right?

Yeah, I know it wasn't.