Finding tunes quickly on an iPod - programs?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Finding tunes quickly on an iPod - programs?

#1 Post by Eyeball » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 pm

My friend has an iPod w 5000 tunes on it. But he does not know how to access them quickly and easily. Is there a program that he can use?

Also - he has been Jazz DJing on a local school station for 14 years until recently. He is thinking possibly about a podcast. Is there a downside?

Thx.
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

Re: Finding tunes quickly on an iPod - programs?

#2 Post by lipi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 am

Eyeball wrote:My friend has an iPod w 5000 tunes on it. But he does not know how to access them quickly and easily. Is there a program that he can use?
First off: the iPod allows browsing by playlist, artist, title, album, genre, and composer. That should allow him to find any track in ten seconds or so, if he knows what he's looking for. So I'll assume he needs faster than that. In which case:

Doesn't he have the music on his computer, too? Did he transfer it to the iPod and delete it from his computer or some such?

Just leave it on the computer and use iTunes.
Also - he has been Jazz DJing on a local school station for 14 years until recently. He is thinking possibly about a podcast. Is there a downside?
Licensing. Jesse will undoubtedly be able to tell you more, but the short of it is that you cannot play entire songs, only snippets, unless you pay ASCAP/BMI/something fees. A streaming radio show (that you don't save on your computer, or at least most users cannot trivially save on their computers) is another matter. You can check out live365, which is what the Yehoodi radio show runs through.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Thx!

I will send him the info or just give him the link here.

He said he uses the shuffle feature for most playbacks. Maybe he only learned the various features of the machine that he wanted at the time.

i have a phone and several remote controls that I only learned how to operate just enough to have them do what I needed to do at that moment.
Will big bands ever come back?