lousy when I record using it.

-Ron

funkyfreak

#2 Post by funkyfreak » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:59 pm

With a proper converter as noted, yep.

-FF

Ron

#3 Post by Ron » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:09 pm

It worked, but the sound comes in so quiet, when I amplify it, I get the background noise, too. Oh well.

And it was a 1/4" (microphone jack) to 3.5mm (sound card input) connector converter.

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:40 pm

Off the top of my head, I don't know the exact tech lingo, but there are often impedance and OHM differences that might require you to get more than just a simple 1/4 inch to mini-plug adaptor: you might need a capacitor (or some sort of electronic do-hickey) that also changes the impedance from low to high or vice-versa. That is why most mikes designed for P.A.s (with an XLR plug) sound "tinny" when plugged into home stereo-type systems, and why microphones lose some clariity when plugged into a 1/4 inch amp. XLR plugs are high impedence, whereas 1/4 inch inputs are typically low impedance (or maybe vice-versa).

There might be other electronic variables that make it so that a mike made for a P.A. system "overpowers" a PC sound card so as to sound distorted or tinny. Your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack geek will most likely have the right convertor for you, but make sure you get the experienced geek, not the teenage dork who knows nothing.

Again, in summary, get advice from the Radio Shack geek, not the dork. (Or at a real music-equipment store.)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Ron

#5 Post by Ron » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:22 pm

The reason the input was so quiet was that I eventually figured out that I had a setting wrong. If I remember right, it was something about making sure the card was treating the input as a mic input instead of a input from my stereo.