Apple to remove DRM

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

russell

Apple to remove DRM

#1 Post by russell » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Apple just announced at Macworld they are removing DRM from iTunes purchases. Also changing the pricing policy so older music cheaper.
You can upgrade your DRM tracks to be non-DRM - for a cost.
Should be fully implemented by March.

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 pm

They are also now in 256 kbps AAC as well.

This may finally get me using the iTunes Store for music, assuming the new higher price point option doesn't become the norm.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I thought they'd largely removed it already (with the unprotected iTunes Plus format). Having used Amazon MP3 downloads for the last month, I much prefer it to iTunes. Searching is better on the iTunes Store though, and I suspect they might have more music. eMusic is cheapest of all, but with less music. The good news is competition seems to be gradually lowering prices AND improving download services.

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 am

I bet Amazon is starting to make Apple feel a little competition.

I still prefer eMusic and Amazon because the file formats are MP3s. Since 99% of my collection is in that format, my tagging systems are a lot easier to manage if I keep everything the same.

That being said, if eMusic was offering a really good deal that the other players did not have, I still would take it.

Nathan

Toon Town Dave

#5 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 am

There's still lots of stuff on iTunes that's protected. Anecdotal evidence suggests more than 50% is still protected, some albums are available in both formats.

Since Amazon still hasn't started selling mp3's in Canada, the iTunes announcement is good news for me. I'd still prefer Amazon, I think they are better for customer service and since it doesn't require special software, it's platform independent. A nice feature since I run Linux on the computer I use most of the time.