Where is the iTunes Equalizer stored?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Where is the iTunes Equalizer stored?

#1 Post by Haydn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 am

Does anyone know where the iTunes Equalizer is stored? I don't think it's in the library file, and there doesn't seem to be a separate file for it. If you have iTunes on two different computers (as I do), how to do copy your Equalizer settings from one to the other?

Can anyone shed any light on this :?:

(I use iTunes on a Mac)

dancin_hanson

#2 Post by dancin_hanson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:33 am

Well, this got no response two years ago, but I have the same question. I've copied all my music files to my new laptop, imported them all into iTunes. Everything (BPM, comments, ratings, even preset volumes) got transferred except for equalizer presets. Anyone know if it's possible to transfer those as well? Any software out there? I really don't want to open thousands of songs to reset these....
This may well have been discussed before, but I can't find any posts other than the one above.
I have PC's, with Windows XP, if that matters.
Thanks.

Rob

#3 Post by Rob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 am

does this help:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... tstart=360

In the song info has it remembered the names of the custom eq settings? if so maybe you could then just re-create on the equalizer and save them with the same name - it might just pick them up and use them then.

Apart from that, a think it might be a wholesale shift of the .plist file as mentioned above (although I take no responsibility for any problems it might cause :D)

SoundInMotionDJ

#4 Post by SoundInMotionDJ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 am

Keep in mind that when applying EQ, the settings are only valid for the speakers and room where they were applied. If you change sound systems, or rooms, or placement of speakers in the room, then different EQ settings will be needed.

I have a *lot* of issues with DJs using iTunes to play music, and using the built in EQ settings. Generally the resulting sound will be much less than desirable. The solution is to remove the EQ in the player.

Haydn

#5 Post by Haydn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:47 pm

SoundInMotionDJ wrote:I have a *lot* of issues with DJs using iTunes to play music, and using the built in EQ settings. Generally the resulting sound will be much less than desirable
In what way, SiMDJ?

SoundInMotionDJ

#6 Post by SoundInMotionDJ » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:58 am

Haydn wrote:
SoundInMotionDJ wrote:I have a *lot* of issues with DJs using iTunes to play music, and using the built in EQ settings. Generally the resulting sound will be much less than desirable
In what way, SiMDJ?
When EQ is added by iTunes, it is normally to help the music sound better on earbuds, or a boom box, or on computer speakers. These have a very different response characteristic than a PA system.

A properly setup PA system should be EQ'd to provide a "flat response" (or some other desired response curve) in the room.

The general effect of too much EQ (the combination of the iTunes EQ, and the EQ to correct the PA response in the room) varies.

"too much bass" the sound is "muddy" or "boomy"
"not enough bass" the sound is "thin"
"too much high frequency" the sound is "tinny" or "harsh"
"not enough high frequency" the sound is "flat"

In some cases, the incorrect EQ will result in a more than a 10dB difference at some frequency between the correct sound signal level and the actual signal level. 10dB is a factor of two difference in perceived sound level at the ear. 10dB represents a 10x difference in required power.

In every case, turning off the EQ in iTunes improves the overall sound quality.

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:51 pm

SoundInMotionDJ wrote: When EQ is added by iTunes, it is normally to help the music sound better on earbuds, or a boom box, or on computer speakers. These have a very different response characteristic than a PA system.
I have the impression dancin_hanson (and Haydn originally) was asking about his custom settings, which he may very well have arrived at using the setup in the room he usually DJs, not with headphones, or with dinky computer speakers, or whatever else.

Yes, if you set the equalizer for one setup you shouldn't expect it to sound the same with a different setup, but that seems to be a completely different topic. Maybe start a separate thread? Or have the moderators split this one?

Haydn

#8 Post by Haydn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Actually I think it's great that we're discussing the value of the iTunes equaliser (I don't mind which thread we do it on) - because I'd like to find ways of improving the sound of old music. I've found the iTunes equaliser to be valuable, and even more so an old add-on called Volume Logic which has its' own equaliser. Typically when I DJ, I don't have access to a hardware equaliser, just a mixer with treble, mid and bass. If most tracks sound bad after adjusting the treble mid and bass on the mixer, then I find the equaliser can help a lot - there was a case recently where the sound was too treble-heavy (even with the treble turned right down on the mixer), and I used the Treble Reducer preset equaliser to improve the sound :)