The <ctrl> - click window in iTunes

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

The <ctrl> - click window in iTunes

#1 Post by Haydn » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:46 pm

Although I spend a lot of time using iTunes on my Mac, I've only recently discovered the <ctrl> - click window. You get this when you <ctrl> - click a song. It's a menu of 15 options.

The options I find most useful are:

Play Next In Party Shuffle
Add To Party Shuffle

These options let you add any song to Party Shuffle, either to play next, or added to the end of the Party Shuffle playlist.

Add To Playlist >
Lets you add songs to manual playlists, useful when compiling playlists 'by hand'

Show In Playlist >
This is the most useful of the lot. It shows all playlists which contain the song. If you were DJing with iTunes (not always a good idea, I know :wink: ), this would let you move your set between different moods by moving to a different source playlist while a song is playing.

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:48 am

you mean the contextual menu? i use "get info" and "show in finder" a lot.

what version of itunes are you using? there are only 13 items in itunes 8 (though i have the, to me, absolutely useless "party shuffle" nonsense disabled, so perhaps those are hidden)--i don't see "show in playlist", which would be kinda handy sometimes.

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:37 am

lipi wrote:you mean the contextual menu? i use "get info" and "show in finder" a lot.

what version of itunes are you using? there are only 13 items in itunes 8 (though i have the, to me, absolutely useless "party shuffle" nonsense disabled, so perhaps those are hidden)--i don't see "show in playlist", which would be kinda handy sometimes.
I'm using iTunes 8.0.2 (might downgrade to 7.6 soon because of the Equalizer bug, but that's another story :wink:).

When I'm in the main Music Library, the window I get when I <ctrl>-click is (I can't upload the image, so I'm typing it out) -

Get Info
Rating >
Show in Finder
Convert ID3 Tags...
Create MP3 Version
Reset Play Count
Reset Skip Count
Uncheck Selection
Copy
Delete

So there are 16 items. This becomes 15 if you are in a playlist, as you can't 'Delete' from within a playlist.

Actually, Party Shuffle can be a great way to play music or even DJ (no previewing obviously). It's so flexible, and you can move really quickly between different 'source' playlists. The 'Show in Playlist' option is great once you have a number of different playlists, particularly Smart Playlists.