What do you do when iTunes won't play a song?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

What do you do when iTunes won't play a song?

#1 Post by Haydn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:08 pm

When I try to play a song in iTunes, I occasionally get this sort of message:

The song "Whatcha Know, Joe?" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

iTunes won't play the song, and an exclamation mark appears to the left of the track title. Why does this happen and what should you do? And how do you stop it happening again? Any ideas :?:

Swifty

#2 Post by Swifty » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 pm

You'll get that message if the audio file or its directory is moved or deleted.

Either click yes and find it manually, or if it's happening a lot just clear the library and redefine the watched folder.

If iTunes would just move to a dynamically refreshed watch folder(s) like Winamp has, you wouldn't ever have that problem.

...and I'd be more likely to use iTunes.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Swifty wrote:You'll get that message if the audio file or its directory is moved or deleted.

Either click yes and find it manually, or if it's happening a lot just clear the library and redefine the watched folder.

If iTunes would just move to a dynamically refreshed watch folder(s) like Winamp has, you wouldn't ever have that problem.

Itunes has a watched folder option?

Haydn

#4 Post by Haydn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:33 pm

OK, I think I've partly answered my own question. I think the message may be caused by a broken link between the library and the file itself. I just searched in the iTunes folder for the 'missing' songs, and they are still there. When I find them and double click on them, they re-load into iTunes, I can update the track information in the new one, and then delete the 'bad' old one. It's a bit laborious doing this, but it seems to work and it's a lot easier than re-importing from the original sources.

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:45 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
Swifty wrote:You'll get that message if the audio file or its directory is moved or deleted.

Itunes has a watched folder option?
In the advanced tab of preferences there is the "iTunes Music folder location." But after you initially set it, it doesn't automatically check to see what's in there, so it's pretty much useless. They expect you to use iTunes and only iTunes to rip or download files, which is ridiculous.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

J-h:n

#6 Post by J-h:n » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Swifty wrote:They expect you to use iTunes and only iTunes to rip or download files, which is ridiculous.
And even if you use only iTunes to rip or download, it sucks if you're more than one user with different music libraries on the same computer - even if you're using the same iTunes folder. Me and my girlfriend have a setup like that, and every time she rips something I like I have to manually import it into my library. I'm also using JRiver Media Center, which has an autoimport feature that is so much more convenient. I'll probably ditch iTunes altogether soon.