computer question - how to stop automatic program loading

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

computer question - how to stop automatic program loading

#1 Post by Eyeball » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:19 pm

how to stop automatic program loading at start-up?

I use some Kodak easy-share programs, but they load up at each start-up and take a lot of time to do so and they clog up the other processes at the same time. I only use them now and then.

How can I stop them from loading?

Thanx!

John

SoundInMotionDJ

#2 Post by SoundInMotionDJ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Depends on where how the program starts up.

1) Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Services. Right click on the offending service, change the Startup Type to "Manual."

Windows might hide the "Services" menu in a different location on your version...but google can help you find it.

2) C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Be sure to check all the users who might be active, including "All Users", and "Default User", etc.

--Stan Graves

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Disable it in your msconfig as well.

Go to Start, Run.. in there type msconfig and hit enter

One of the tabs on the window that appears (but not the default one) will have a list of everything that is set up to auto start. Find the Kodak one and change it's state.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 pm

SoundInMotionDJ wrote: 2) C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Be sure to check all the users who might be active, including "All Users", and "Default User", etc.
There were maybe 50 items for Kodak listed.

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:54 pm

CountBasi wrote:Disable it in your msconfig as well.

Go to Start, Run.. in there type msconfig and hit enter

One of the tabs on the window that appears (but not the default one) will have a list of everything that is set up to auto start. Find the Kodak one and change it's state.
That was it. Thanks! Yay for the youngbloods! :)

It was on 'automatic' as were few other unnecessary items.

I moved it to 'manual'.

Now to see how to activate it when I need it.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:34 pm

The Kodak software is really intrusive. Numerous people I know have made the mistake of installing it and having to go through the same routine you did (including me).

Nathan

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:The Kodak software is really intrusive. Numerous people I know have made the mistake of installing it and having to go through the same routine you did (including me).

Nathan
Thanks for the heads up. Their most recent version of EasyShare took even longer than the old one. And they had installed a program to run a wireless printer! Fairly big file. I just dumped that entirely.

There has probably never been a more continually vexing piece of home electronics than a personal computer.

Lawrence

#8 Post by Lawrence » Thu May 01, 2008 11:03 am

Nate Dogg wrote:The Kodak software is really intrusive. Numerous people I know have made the mistake of installing it and having to go through the same routine you did (including me).

Nathan
It is not just Kodak; MANY software companies presume that their programs are the most important and should be pre-loaded. You would be surprised how many programs load themselves automatically into your "boot/startup" routine.

I use a Utility program (System Mechanic or SystemSuite) that includes a "Startup manager" utility to cut the startup programs to a minimum.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CountBasi

#9 Post by CountBasi » Thu May 01, 2008 11:31 am

Generally, if you are ever fed up with all this and nobody is around/awake to help, you can just go to google and type in something like 'how to remove <bloatware> from pc' or 'how to remove <bloatware> from startup pc'

There are a lot of helpful people out there, thankfully.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 am

Capital G Good tip. Thx.