On organizing music in iTunes, sort fields and ID3 tags

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

#16 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:15 pm

aklamo wrote:Sure, everything is sorted alphabetically under D for Django Reinhardt, but it's a mess.
You know, as I was looking for music on my iPod today it dawned on me... why F is everything sorted by first name!?! If I want Django, I should go to R for Reinhardt... NOT D FOR DJANGO!!!
Reuben Brown
Southern California

aklamo

#17 Post by aklamo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Heh. That's a whole different issue. Now configurable via Sort Artist.

You can set the Artist "Django Reinhardt" and Sort Artist "Reinhardt, Django". itunes does a similar trick automatically for 'The' and 'A' like The Beatles will be found under 'B' and A Perfect Circle will be found under 'P' because iTunes secretly changes the Sort Artist without asking.

CafeSavoy

#18 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
aklamo wrote:Sure, everything is sorted alphabetically under D for Django Reinhardt, but it's a mess.
You know, as I was looking for music on my iPod today it dawned on me... why F is everything sorted by first name!?! If I want Django, I should go to R for Reinhardt... NOT D FOR DJANGO!!!
You have to change all the artists names to Last Name, First Name in the name field. Perhaps you could write a script to do it for you.

aklamo

#19 Post by aklamo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 pm

If you're on a mac, you can use Doug's Batch Set Tracks Sorting Tags v1.0 script. Works well for me.

CountBasi

#20 Post by CountBasi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm

lipi wrote:i don't claim this is ideal, but:

i use the "album artist" field for the big or common name: "duke ellington" or "django reinhardt", for example. i use the "artist" field for the exact credit: "duke ellington and his famous orchestra" or "alix combelle et son quintette de jazz hot", or whatever.

I really like this suggestion and I've finally knuckled down today (!) and started to try to organise my music. Not so much a case of after the horse has bolted, more like after all the horses who ever lived and ever will live have bolted...

Anyway, I would like to know if you know of software that will allow me to easily edit the Album Artist tag, and if and when appropriate, allows copying and pasting from the Artist tag into the Album Artist* tag. I have Mp3tag (only been using it a day) and I don't seem to be able to do it in that.

*Referring to the Album Artist tag that you see in iTunes and on the iPod. I tried adding a new field in Mp3tag called Album Artist but it didn't sync with the one in iTunes (no idea where it went when I got there).

UPDATE : I'm a bit confused. The Album Artist info. doesn't seem to appear anywhere on my iPod, it's just in iTunes. I guess you use it for organisational purposes to keep the full credits in a common place? I think I can live with that (still thinking, mind).

Environment - Win Vista & XP.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard