Safe DJaying from iTunes

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Safe DJaying from iTunes

#1 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm

I sometimes use iTunes for DJaying, and if I'm using other software, I still know I have iTunes as a backup solution if needed.

One problem with iTunes is I can't play a SINGLE track only. In a playlist, it just runs on from one song to another, so if I'm not careful the song after the current one starts before I can click on the one I want. I've managed to mess up a few times by playing around with iTunes while a song is playing in a set, so the less fiddling around I need to do the better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

zzzzoom

#2 Post by zzzzoom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:24 pm

What works for me is this:

Under "Controls" I click "Repeat One"

Then when I start a track playing, I unclick the little box to the left so that when the song ends nothing plays because song that is supposed to repeat is unselected.

Give it a try and see if this works for you.

russell

#3 Post by russell » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:38 pm

When I was using iTunes for DJing I always created a playlist for the gig I was doing and used this as the "playing" playlist. As I wanted to play songs I added them to this playlist. Even it reached the end then it stopped playing. Also had the bonus and being the played playlist at the end of the night.

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Move the Now Playing song to the end of the playlist.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

remysun

Re: Safe DJaying from iTunes

#5 Post by remysun » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:26 am

Haydn wrote: One problem with iTunes is I can't play a SINGLE track only.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Couldn't you have or make a blank track, so that it wouldn't be a problem? I was thinking about doing that with my XBox 360, so I can get whatever song I want to start at the start of a race, not when I select it.

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 am

Type the name of the song in the search box and if it is the only song displayed, then it will end at the end of the song.

Haydn

#7 Post by Haydn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:30 am

zzzzoom wrote:What works for me is this:

Under "Controls" I click "Repeat One"

Then when I start a track playing, I unclick the little box to the left so that when the song ends nothing plays because song that is supposed to repeat is unselected.

Give it a try and see if this works for you.
I've recently discovered that, in a playlist on iTunes on my Mac, if I hold down the Command key (⌘) and click one of the little boxes at the start of the song title, it deselects the whole playlist. Once this has been done, iTunes only plays a single track (this is equivalent to the 'SINGLE' setting on DJ CD decks which only plays one track). This trick also seems to work with 'Party Shuffle', but bear in mind that Party Shuffle is designed to give a continuous playlist.