Converting WMA to MP3...How?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

btluhrman

Converting WMA to MP3...How?

#1 Post by btluhrman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:14 pm

So I am a new DJ and I use Windows Media Player. I usually just rip songs off of CDs and add them to my library. Well I recently just found itunes...it's a whole lot better, but I can't get all my old songs from Windows Media to itunes because of the file type. I've tried importing and it doesn't work. Help me please! Do I need a file converter or what? If so which one is the best and easiest to use. Thanks.

Haydn

Re: Converting WMA to MP3...How?

#2 Post by Haydn » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:16 am

btluhrman wrote:So I am a new DJ and I use Windows Media Player. I usually just rip songs off of CDs and add them to my library. Well I recently just found itunes...it's a whole lot better, but I can't get all my old songs from Windows Media to itunes because of the file type. I've tried importing and it doesn't work. Help me please! Do I need a file converter or what? If so which one is the best and easiest to use. Thanks.
Are you using PC or Mac? Anyway, these ideas should help ...

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/converting ... _ipod.html

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2504022,2504022

http://playlistmag.com/forums/ubbthread ... &Main=3917

Matthew

#3 Post by Matthew » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:30 pm

What bitrate are your WMAs? It may be worth it to rerip everything at a higher rate, or as WAVs.

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:03 am

Matthew wrote:What bitrate are your WMAs? It may be worth it to rerip everything at a higher rate, or as WAVs.
Exactly. What he's referring to is that WMAs are "lossy" formats, meaning that they degrade the quality of the audio in the compression process. Re-compressing them into another lossy format like MP3 is like taking a photocopy of a photocopy: with each progressive copy, the quality gets worse. The better the quality of the original photocopy, the better the second generation photocopy will be; but the second generation copy will never be as good as copying the original anew.

If the bitrate of the WMA is not top-quality, you are pretty much stuck because "converting" (in other words, "re-compressing") the files into MP3s will make them sound awful.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Haydn

#5 Post by Haydn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Matthew wrote:What bitrate are your WMAs? It may be worth it to rerip everything at a higher rate, or as WAVs.
Exactly. What he's referring to is that WMAs are "lossy" formats, meaning that they degrade the quality of the audio in the compression process. Re-compressing them into another lossy format like MP3 is like taking a photocopy of a photocopy: with each progressive copy, the quality gets worse. The better the quality of the original photocopy, the better the second generation photocopy will be; but the second generation copy will never be as good as copying the original anew.

If the bitrate of the WMA is not top-quality, you are pretty much stuck because "converting" (in other words, "re-compressing") the files into MP3s will make them sound awful.
You make a good point Lawrence, but are you really sure converting to MP3 will make them sound 'awful'?

CafeSavoy

Re: Converting WMA to MP3...How?

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 pm

btluhrman wrote: I've tried importing and it doesn't work. Help me please! Do I need a file converter or what? If so which one is the best and easiest to use. Thanks.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 am

Haydn wrote:
Lawrence wrote:

You make a good point Lawrence, but are you really sure converting to MP3 will make them sound 'awful'?
As he said, it depends: What quality is the WMA? What bitrate are you re-encoding too.

In my experience that type of conversion almost always has a noticable quality loss. Re-ripping is the definiteloy the best choice, and really won't take that much more time.

btluhrman

#8 Post by btluhrman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 am

Thanks for all your help. I tried converting, but something about the liscence agreement came up and wouldn't let me convert. Is there anyway to bipass this?

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:13 pm

btluhrman wrote:Thanks for all your help. I tried converting, but something about the liscence agreement came up and wouldn't let me convert. Is there anyway to bipass this?
wma files can be protected. There are ways around this, but they are not technically legal, nor easy.

Lawrence

#10 Post by Lawrence » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:52 pm

btluhrman wrote:Thanks for all your help. I tried converting, but something about the liscence agreement came up and wouldn't let me convert. Is there anyway to bipass this?
No, you are stuck unless you resort to "illegal" means to get around the DRm (Digital Rights Management). You might be able to convert to ITunes' proprietary format, it might work, but I've never done that because I avoid using proprietary formats since my experiments in Minidiscs (Sony's proprietary compression) screwed me. ITunes automatically prompts you to convert WMA files to ITunes format when searching your music folders to build its library.

... yet another example of how DRM negatively impacts a legal user who simply did not know the pitfalls of using that format.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Lawrence wrote:... yet another example of how DRM negatively impacts a legal user who simply did not know the pitfalls of using that format.
caveat emptor
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Lawrence wrote:
No, you are stuck unless you resort to "illegal" means to get around the DRm (Digital Rights Management). You might be able to convert to ITunes' proprietary format, it might work, but I've never done that because I avoid using proprietary formats since my experiments in Minidiscs (Sony's proprietary compression) screwed me. ITunes automatically prompts you to convert WMA files to ITunes format when searching your music folders to build its library.

... yet another example of how DRM negatively impacts a legal user who simply did not know the pitfalls of using that format.
I don't know many places where one can by a .wma file, so I have to assume the file was created locally... in which case I can also assume the original location exists and could be used to create a new format.

DRM is rarely more than just an annoyance for legal users.

btluhrman

#13 Post by btluhrman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:16 pm

So what you are telling me is that there is no possible way to get all the liscence protected music from Windows Media Player to iTunes...

lipi

#14 Post by lipi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:42 pm

no one said it was impossible. in fact, both lawrence and gemzombie hinted at the fact that it is possible to break the drm protection. googlify "wma", "drm", "break" or some such similar and you'll find plenty of ways of doing just that.