Vista and Digital Rights Management (DRM)

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

OneTrueDabe

#16 Post by OneTrueDabe » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:32 pm

SoundInMotionDJ wrote:It does appear that DRM is getting pushed back (iTunes is offering DRM-free songs for $1.29) and pushed forward (Vista incorporates more/better DRm controls) at the same time. Where the "final answer" will fall is to be determined.
And most recently, Google shut down its Movie Download service, thereby rendering useless all the DRM-protected files people paid for. "Don't Be Evil" my ass...
SoundInMotionDJ wrote:DRM is not all bad. One of the ways that digital content will be made available for the PC is under the protections of DRM. Because there is DRM, I can watch full episodes of some of my favorite TV shows over the web - in case I miss an episode. That service would not exist without DRM.
No, those COMPANIES might not provide that particular service.

In your example, if you had a friend record the show for you, you could go over to his house to watch it. DRM is designed to prevent that -- forcing you instead to use one of the media company's officially sanctioned avenues for distribution (meaning: "Pay us!")

A free market will find ways to provide consumers with the goods and services they desire, at a price they're willing to pay. DRM, on the other hand, legitimizes monopolies, and encourages price-fixing.
SoundInMotionDJ wrote:It is not in the financial interests of the music industry to fully support your fair use rights.
If our elected officials were truly representative of the people, they would uphold our rights, rather than pander to big business.

Those rights were explicitly guaranteed for a reason -- because the original legislators who enacted those provisions KNEW that if left unchecked, corporate interests would favor restrictive control of information; "fair use" was the only weapon they could give the little guy.

If our lawmakers and judiciary HAD A PAIR, they would make sure the industry played by the rules. Yeah, it's inconvenient that the law requires consumers to be able to make backup copies of their CDs and DVDs, but it's also inconvenient that I have to stop for red lights. (If I had a nickel for every time a Police car put on its lights just to go through an intersection... I wonder how many RIAA and record company higher-ups actually pay for music, rather than simply "borrowing" it from their companies' vaults...)
SoundInMotionDJ wrote:Keeping in mind that my extensive collection of "mix tapes" from college are now un-playable as I no longer have a working tape player.
They most certainly ARE playable! You might have to buy (or borrow) a new player, but the point is that you can use a player FROM ANY MANUFACTURER -- thus fostering competition in the marketplace.

Lawrence's MiniDisc problem is a more-fitting example, since he's "locked in" to buying from Sony exclusively.

In five years, like you say, when you want to listen to your "Swing Uber Mix" you'll have to purchase a license exclusively from Microsoft, who will say, "You sure do enjoy listening to that mix, don't you? It sure would be a shame if we suddenly doubled the license fee, wouldn't it?"

And with the big media companies taking more and more control away from the artists, what incentive will THEY have to create new works? Creativity will stagnate, new generations won't feel the need to learn music, and society as a whole will suffer. (Thankfully, when that happens, the music industry will have destroyed its own source of revenue, and will collapse under its own greed. Nature does have a way of thinning gluttonous herds...)

Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:10 am

I love when hippies rant. It's cute... and hilarious.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#18 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:08 am

GemZombie wrote:My point is, which I think some people might miss, that if you use MP3's today, you can continue using MP3's without any interference from Vista. DRM applies to formats that *use* DRM. MP3 does not. You can rip and play just as you did before... and since most of us use that scenerio, most of us have nothing to fear with Vista.

I have avoided iTunes for a variety of reasons, but DRM is a big one.

Also "Vista and DRM" is a bit misleading.... 90% of the DRM implementation is really just Windows Media Player 11. It's just that you need WMP to play most of the DRM-enabled files that are aimed towards Windows users.
That's the sort of clarification I was looking for. Doesn't sound like too big a deal. Thanks.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 am

SoundInMotionDJ wrote:
Lawrence wrote:The burden of figuring these things out is just unacceptable.
First, let me say that I have no first hand experience with Vista as I will be sticking with XP for the foreseeable future.

If you truly feel that the burden of understanding the technology that you are trying to make use of is unacceptable, then perhaps sticking with CDs for the next several years makes the most sense for you and your situation. I view learning about the technology that I use as an investment in my understanding.

My advice is to determine how to keep your music DRM free as you go. That is the best way to ensure that you will have access to it in the future.

--Stan Graves
Uh... yes, all well and good.... But... that's... exactly... what I am doing by asking this question: trying to understand Vista's use of DRM before I decide to buy a machine with Vista on it. Should I not ask the question and remain perplexed at the brief reference that Vista has DRM in it, without understanding what sort of DRM, how to avoid it, or whether it is so deeply embedded that it might somehow, someday inevitably turn my MP3s into just another set of useless minidiscs? It looks like you took my quote a bit out of context, or implied much more from it than I intended.

Also, you are flipping the economic burdens associated with purchasing and using a product. If a company wants me to buy their product, it's not MY burden as a consumer to figure it out on my own. The company bears the burden of explaining it to me or making it user-friendly so I know how to use it. Otherwise, I'll just buy another competitor's product. And if a product contains unacceptable burdens (like burdensome, unavoidable DRM), then I'll go buy another product... like a Mac, which (as far as I know) has a DRM-free OS.

That said, why are you sticking with XP for now?
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

SoundInMotionDJ

#20 Post by SoundInMotionDJ » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:42 am

Lawrence wrote:That said, why are you sticking with XP for now?
I am sticking with XP because it's working. For my DJ systems, I want stability, and I want reliability.

I have no present (or near term) need to upgrade hardware. Obviously if a system fails I would need a replacement - but I would also immediately use my current backup image to install XP on that system.

I am leary of any software companies "Version 1" of any product. Past experience with Microsoft has taught me to be doubly suspicious of a new version of an operating system. I stuck with Win 2k for a couple of years after XP came out. In fact, I did not use XP as a DJ system until after SP2 came out.

As for OS's in the house, I am currently running a mix of XP, HP-UX, and Kubuntu (Dapper and Feisty, in case you know what that means). None of my current hardware can take advantage of all of Vista's new bells and whistles. I have no doubt that in 5 years I will have a couple of Vista systems in the house. I also have no doubt that in 1 year I will not have any Vista in the house.

The bottom line is that I would need a hardware upgrade to be able to see all of Vista's new bells and whistles, and so far none of the new features is interesting enough to get me to move.

--Stan Graves

GemZombie

#21 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:04 am

For a "laptop" DJ, there are few reasons to upgrade to Vista, and plenty of reasons to stick with XP. DRM is *not* likely a reason to stick with XP, however.

Reasons to stay on XP:

1. If it ain't broke, dont' fix it. By upgrading you risk what I have to assume is already a stable DJing enviornment.
2. Vista requires *much* more power (Mostly memory)

If however you have found XP shotty and you have the machine for it, Vista can offer stability, features and performance. I am not upgrading my DJing laptop, but I have upgraded my desktop machine, and my PVR machine to Vista.

And I repeat DRM has not affected *any* of my usability... Of all the places I thought it could affect it, it would have been on my PVR... and honestly it's been a good experience upgrading... the machine has become more stable.

Lawrence

#22 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:45 pm

Part of the reason for my question is my XP home computer has become unstable to the point where even my intense maintenance utility program (System Mechanic) can neither fix it nor uninstall the problematic programs. (Yes, the Uninstall won't work!) The machine is over five years old and wasn't state-of-the art when I got it, so it is due for replacement. I also need a new desktop for work, although I could hold off and use my laptop for work until Vista gets a Service Pack. And because I'd be getting Vista at home and work, and I own a Vista-capable laptop, I figured I might want to go ahead and upgrade it, as well.

So I'm at a different stage than you guys seem to be.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Mr Awesomer

#23 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:10 am

Lawrence wrote:Part of the reason for my question is my XP home computer has become unstable to the point where even my intense maintenance utility program (System Mechanic) can neither fix it nor uninstall the problematic programs.
Have you done a fresh OS install yet? I know it can be a pain in the ass... but it's well worth it.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#24 Post by GemZombie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:29 am

I'd have to agree. You'd be surprised how nice and speedy your old machine will feel after a re-install. If you can afford the new machine, then by all means have fun, but sometimes a clean slate is what the PC doctor ordered.

SoundInMotionDJ

#25 Post by SoundInMotionDJ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 am

I use Acrinos True Image (Norton Ghost is similar), to create an "image backup" of all my system.

After I do a fresh OS installation, and update the service pack to the latest, and get all the software installed, and load all the drivers, and then setup printers, wireless, etc, etc, etc, etc....but BEFORE I do any real work on the system - I create a backup image.

For my DJ laptop, this image is about 6GB worth of stuff. I can restore this image in about 20 minutes. It's as if I was picking up at that point. Over a few years of use, this is a HUGE time saver.

If I get a virus...restore the image.
If I accidentally mess up the wireless settings...restore the image.
If I install new software the messes up the computer....restore the image.
If I delete some critical file...restore the image.
If the system starts running slow...restore the image.
If the hard drive dies and I need to replace it...restore the image.
If the laptop needs service, and the tech puts a fresh OS on it...restore the image.

You get the idea.

--Stan Graves

patrik

#26 Post by patrik » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 am

A Linux laptop could be an alternative, even though I haven't tried it myself.
Or why not try a Mac? A second hand PowerBook G4 shouldn't be to expensive these days.

Lawrence

#27 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Part of the reason for my question is my XP home computer has become unstable to the point where even my intense maintenance utility program (System Mechanic) can neither fix it nor uninstall the problematic programs.
Have you done a fresh OS install yet? I know it can be a pain in the ass... but it's well worth it.
Yeah, I have done it before on other machines and was, indeed, amazed at how fast my old computer really was. But it takes a day of updating, re-installing programs, and re-programming (remembering) all the settings I wanted. I might try it, though, because I will need to re-install programs and re-learn Vista if I replace it.

Indeed, my System Mechanic utility combined with a freeware program called "Window Washer" achieved similar results by purging all the system clutter that slows things down. But the current problems are even preventing those utilities from fixing the problems. (And I doubt it a virus or spyware; I have a firewall and real-time virus protection, and I have swept it many times with SpySweeper and another spyware program and then also with TWO anti-virus programs--if it is a virus, it is a damn sophisticated one.)

With faster desktops going for only $400, it might be worth just getting a new one... provided that Vista doesn't create new problems.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

GemZombie

#28 Post by GemZombie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 pm

try booting in safe mode and running those programs, you might be able to get somewhere. Disable your virus software temporarily, they are memory pigs and processor hogs.