How do you store CD spindles at home?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

How do you store CD spindles at home?

#1 Post by kitkat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:13 am

I've got small living quarters. I have a collection of CD spindles, some of which are backups that I never use, others of which I pull something out of rather regularly. I like to keep like things together, so splitting up the spindles and boxing half would drive me crazy.

Right now my spindles are on a built-in bookshelf in my closet, which works rather well because it's pretty compact and allows them to sit directly next to my DJing CD case and next to the rack-of-jewel-cases I have, but I keep thinking there's got to be somewhere better for them.

A drawer? So wasteful when you have too few spindles to fill it; so limiting as soon as you get a few more.

Buy another bookshelf and swear to myself that it'll go to spindles/CD case/CD storage thingy, not more books?

Some sort of crazy Rubbermaid organizer I've never thought of?

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:27 pm

Are you talking exclusively music CD's or data as well?

One thing I do for backups (data) is use re-writable media, mostly DVD now. I can recycle them from old backups that I no longer need.

If by backup, you mean backup/archive of music CDs, one way to save space might be to burn disc images onto DVD's as data. That would get a 7:1 or better improvement on space.

Drawers or cabinets are probably best for storage since it'll keep them away from light and dust.

Other than that, I don't think there's any better storage format unless you are good at crafting custom stuff from wood/metal/plastic or want to buy something expensive.

OneTrueDabe

Re: How do you store CD spindles at home?

#3 Post by OneTrueDabe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 pm

kitkat wrote:I've got small living quarters. I have a collection of CD spindles, some of which are backups that I never use, others of which I pull something out of rather regularly.
I admit this sounds like a crazy idea, but get some peg-board -- you know, the brown stuff with lots of holes in it for little metal hooks:

and "hook" your spindles onto it. You might want to install it at a slight angle, so the CDs don't slide off.

I just think it'd look rad, having all those cylinders on the wall... :-D

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Another wacky idea; get a length of wooden dowel that will fit through the hub of a CD. Drill a hole (maybe 1/4" diameter or so) through the dowel at each end (perpendicular to axis of the dowel). Put a short (3 or 4", 1/4" diameter dowel through the hole in one end, stack the CD's up, use the hole in the top to hang it from a hook or chain in the ceiling like a hanging plant.

Here's the ASCII art depiction:

Code: Select all

---|---
---|---
---|---
---|---
---|---
 ==|==