Headphones recommendations

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Surreal

#16 Post by Surreal » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:... or don't bring any headphones, just buy the cheap $3 ones for sale on the plane on the way to the gig.
Heck, Air Canada gives them away for free. I keep a pair in my bag in case I ever forget my good ones.

CountBasi

#17 Post by CountBasi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:28 pm

I am very much in the market for a pair of headphones immediately (make that yesterday).

Lawrence, you make great points but don't say which ones you use? I'm wanting to know seeing as your points are so well made.

Seems like the Sony V600 hits the mark for suitability and price, based on reviews in this thread.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

penguin

#18 Post by penguin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:16 am

I use a pair of Sennheiser 515's. Expensive but they are durable as anything. I've had them for more than 4 years now and they still sound like a dream.

I mainly use earbuds when I do the DJ thing though - they're a little bit bulky when you take into account the rest of the gear I carry.

JesseMiner

#19 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:53 am

JesseMiner wrote:
SoundInMotionDJ wrote:Sony V600
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these headphones! I have used them exclusively for the past 8 or 9 years on countless gigs. The are durable and sound amazing. I can't recommend them enough.

Jesse
A follow-up to my glowing review: I have found a minor problem with my current set of Sony V600 headphones. The black outer material has been shedding lately, coming off in small flakes. This never happened with my prior pair or at least not to this extent. Not a major problem though. I have had this pair for over 5 years so I guess I can't really complain. Otherwise...still LOVE 'em!!! :)

Jesse

CountBasi

#20 Post by CountBasi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:13 am

thanks for the latest replies.

Re: Penguin. I read further back in this thread that getting expensive headphones for the sake of high audiophile quality was irrelevant for a Swing DJ's needs, so I wonder what let you down that path?

I found a pair of headphones identical (Sony V600) to yours Jesse for $45, used. Hopefully will get them today or tomorrow if the guy hangs onto them for me and they're not damaged.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

penguin

#21 Post by penguin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:15 am

I actually got these headphones before DJ'ing perked my interest. My opinion is, if you love your music you need a good pair of headphones. Headphones should be portable so they should be able to stand up to a little bit of roughish treatment but if you mistreat them, obviously they ain't going to last as long.

Though, if all you need headphones for is DJ'ing go for something cheap, you don't need bells and whistles (and with the actual music going as well, you don't even need to talk about audio quality).

Surreal

#22 Post by Surreal » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Heck, lately I've been using a set I picked up at the dollar store because I keep forgetting my good ones at home but the cheap ones I just leave in my bag. The sound quality is actually better than some of the old stock ones I have lying around the house, and really, you can't go wrong for $1. I even picked up a few miscellaneous cables and jacks while I was at it.

CountBasi

#23 Post by CountBasi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Well I got the Sony ones on Saturday and loved them the first time I tested them with my laptop. Nice deal.

CafeSavoy

#24 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:06 am

JesseMiner wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:
SoundInMotionDJ wrote:Sony V600
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these headphones! I have used them exclusively for the past 8 or 9 years on countless gigs. The are durable and sound amazing. I can't recommend them enough.

Jesse
A follow-up to my glowing review: I have found a minor problem with my current set of Sony V600 headphones. The black outer material has been shedding lately, coming off in small flakes. This never happened with my prior pair or at least not to this extent. Not a major problem though. I have had this pair for over 5 years so I guess I can't really complain. Otherwise...still LOVE 'em!!! :)

Jesse
I second the Sony V600. I have been trying one of the smaller models V1??, but it's not as good when trying to listen at a gig. The outer material on my V600 have been shredding too, but i have it a long time too.

Cyrano de Maniac

#25 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:21 pm

If you're having problems with shredding material, you might try getting ahold of the parts department for your headphone manufacturer.

I recently replaced the cord and some other innards of a pair of Fostex T40-RP headphones, and the parts were surprisingly affordable. I'm not sure if Sony would be any better or worse, but it's worth a try.

Brent