Woo hoo! It's VISTA time!!

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

Woo hoo! It's VISTA time!!

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:08 am

...or is it?

Just got a new laptop that I think I would be happy with if it weren't for Vista.
Here are the specs:

Processor type AMD Turion 64; 2.0GHz
Bus Speed 1600MHz
Level 2 cache 512KB
Memory/RAM 1GB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200) expandable to 4GB
Hard drive size 120GB
DVD burner
...only $569 after rebates at Circuit City.

I'd be happy with the gig of RAM if it were XP, but with Vista it's kinda slow (well, the video is shared and snatches 256mg).

2 issues:
1). When I started up my nice *new* store-bought computer (straight-from-the-sealed-with-brand-name-labeled-tape box), I got the "window unexpectedly shut down" message. Um, that really shouldn't happen with a new computer, should it?

2). What would make tracks from a *playing* CD 'pop'?
Yes, it sounds like I'm listening to an LP.

I'm thinking it's most likely the speakers. Could it possibly be the operating system???

I've ripped the same CD onto the laptop and it 'pops' as a file too. However, I burned a copy to CD and it doesn't 'pop' as a burned CD. I also ripped it to my desktop and no problems there either.

=================
Another problem was a crash during the installation of the new Vista media center. Now media center doesn't always close.
And some of the trial DJing software I thought I would try doesn't always close either. Or seem to work right.

I think I like the computer (it's hard to tell if the operating system sucks or if there is a hardware problem).

The computer came with a free upgrade to Vista home premium ...does anyone know if that will make a difference?

And the ultimate question:
Does anyone have any experience installing wiping a Vista-ized hard drive and installing XP in it's place?

Thanks for any help!
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:22 am

$569 for a new laptop huh? Well, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#3 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:30 am

That's a good reason I would think it's the speakers ...not that I use speakers on my laptop very often. Maybe I'll go watch a DVD and see what it sounds like...
SwingDJ@gmail.com

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Does anyone have any experience installing wiping a Vista-ized hard drive and installing XP in it's place?
i've never done it on a physical machine, but you should not have a problem. boot from the xp cd, tell it to remove all the existing partitions, create a new ntfs partition, and format it.

Toon Town Dave

#5 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 pm

Like Reuben says, you get what you pay for. My Dell just worked (TM) out of the box. I bought it before they went Vista only, even now, there is a lot of software that our support guys encounter that doesn't play nice with Vista so I'd stick with XP until at least SP1.

As long as you reformat the hard drive before installing XP, you shouldn't have a problem unless the hardware is dodgy.

Greg Avakian

#6 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:28 pm

OK, it's definitely not the speakers, so I'm happy about that.

I saw that someone else had a similar problem and tweaked the performance-appearance ratio in Vista and fixed it. I've tried that and it hasn't helped. I'm going to swap this computer tomorrow and probably go with installing XP.

I read that Dell has decided to offer XP on more of it's computers because of complaints about Vista. :)

Anyone used a DJ program in Vista?
SwingDJ@gmail.com

tornredcarpet

#7 Post by tornredcarpet » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm

I used my friend's laptop during ETB and ran BPM studio off a portable hard drive (the LaCie Rugged, partitioned into two parts, one for executables, the other for actual music)

BPM studio kinda worked in Vista... Vista happened to write protect the drive it was on and the drive which the music was on... making playlists a pain but it worked, I guess... just no saving.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

Swifty

#8 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:55 am

I have had no media center or other audio-related problems with Windows Vista.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 am

I've had no problems with Vista either, though i haven't upgraded my laptop, just my desktop. My laptop wouldn't really be worth it to run Vista.

Greg Avakian

#10 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm

I exchanged that computer for another of the same and it's fine. I still might go with XP, although I'm starting to like Vista's features. I'm mostly worried about software compatability...

Swifty, are you actually DJing with vista? If so, did you have any problems at first? What program are you using?

I'm also curious to know how much RAM people are running with Vista? This laptop came with a gig which I've read/heard is really the minimum...
SwingDJ@gmail.com

Toon Town Dave

#11 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:01 pm

I can't speak to Vista performance on 1GB however our IT support people are recommending new purchases have 2GB minimum to support Vista.

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:32 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:I exchanged that computer for another of the same and it's fine. I still might go with XP, although I'm starting to like Vista's features. I'm mostly worried about software compatability...

Swifty, are you actually DJing with vista? If so, did you have any problems at first? What program are you using?

I'm also curious to know how much RAM people are running with Vista? This laptop came with a gig which I've read/heard is really the minimum...

Microsoft has a Vista Upgrade Adviser that will tell you in advance what compatability problems you may have.

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:21 pm

I also heard that Vista will not run I-Tunes (Apple's fault, not Microsoft's), which is one of my primary uses (I-Pod and Podcasts).

Vista is by far the most beta-tested operating systems Microsoft has put out and it is supposed to be amazing, but there are still problems given how huge the PC world is. I was eager to upgrade, but I think I'll wait for now.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Sounds like a reason to run Vista to me.

(iTunes sucks ;) )

Swifty

#15 Post by Swifty » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:I exchanged that computer for another of the same and it's fine. I still might go with XP, although I'm starting to like Vista's features. I'm mostly worried about software compatability...

Yes, I am DJing with Vista with no problems, even at first. I'm using a double-installation of Winamp, same setup as I had on my previous XP laptop. As for the performance of the machine, it's 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz.

I'm also running iTunes with no problems whatsoever, even though I hate it as an application.

I dislike Vista for about a dozen other reasons, but DJing is not one of them.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."