BPM Counter for Mac OS10

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

main_stem

BPM Counter for Mac OS10

#1 Post by main_stem » Tue May 27, 2003 12:52 pm

For those Mac geeks out there using OS10 and iTunes 4; Blacktree.com has a nifty bpm atachment.

http://www.blacktree.com/apps/
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Zot

#2 Post by Zot » Tue May 27, 2003 9:01 pm

Definitely, main_stem. I heartily endorse it.

Don't miss the discussion of BPM counting over in DJ Skillz:

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... 3&start=15

lowfi

#3 Post by lowfi » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:07 pm

Great Find!!!

Very Usefull.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:05 pm

This little app doesn't seem to work with Panther and/or the latest version of iTunes. Has anyone figured out any work arounds and/or alternatives?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

PhilShapiro

#5 Post by PhilShapiro » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:20 am

Haven't tried it on 10.5, but bpmWidget works OK with 10.4 & latest iTunes. It's a dashboard widget which is a little less convenient.

http://rzepa.net/david/bpmWidget/index.html

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:44 am

PhilShapiro wrote:Haven't tried it on 10.5, but bpmWidget works OK with 10.4 & latest iTunes. It's a dashboard widget which is a little less convenient.

http://rzepa.net/david/bpmWidget/index.html
Thanks. I'll give it a try when I get back to my Mac. Thankfully I'm not bpming tons of music at a time any more, just an album or two every once in a while, so it not being fully integrated shouldn't be to much of a hassle.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

straycat

#7 Post by straycat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:15 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:This little app doesn't seem to work with Panther and/or the latest version of iTunes. Has anyone figured out any work arounds and/or alternatives?
I've been using it for some time, and have had it working (almost) fine with the latest iTunes (including under Leopard). The only problem is that the Plugins menu has vanished from my iTunes now - so I have to launch the app by hand - but apart from that, it still works exactly as it should (I just put a shortcut to it in my Dock, next to my iTunes icon)

Also useful to note is that if you alt-click on the 'tap' button, it starts accepting keypresses - so you can tap keys instead of the mouse button - personally, I find this easier.

Mr Awesomer

#8 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 am

straycat wrote:I've been using it for some time, and have had it working (almost) fine with the latest iTunes (including under Leopard). The only problem is that the Plugins menu has vanished from my iTunes now - so I have to launch the app by hand - but apart from that, it still works exactly as it should (I just put a shortcut to it in my Dock, next to my iTunes icon)

Also useful to note is that if you alt-click on the 'tap' button, it starts accepting keypresses - so you can tap keys instead of the mouse button - personally, I find this easier.
Are you on an Intel based Mac? I've read that may be the incompatibility. I can launch the app just fine. The +, -, and set buttons work just fine, and I can switch between mouse and key taps just fine. However it does not recognize my mouse and key taps at all. It just sits there at reading "60"
Reuben Brown
Southern California

straycat

#9 Post by straycat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:14 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:Are you on an Intel based Mac? I've read that may be the incompatibility. I can launch the app just fine. The +, -, and set buttons work just fine, and I can switch between mouse and key taps just fine. However it does not recognize my mouse and key taps at all. It just sits there at reading "60"
Mmm - no - I'm on an old G5 Mac Pro. I'll try it out on one of our Intel MacBooks, and see what happens.

straycat

#10 Post by straycat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 pm

The light dawns. That problem sounded familiar, and I think it's the issue I had when I first installed it on this machine.

I've done a bit of poking around, and revisited memory lane, and I've got it working on the Intel Macbook, although the first attempt had the same result as yourself.

The problem is that version 1.0.1 on the Blacktree site doesn't work properly with the latest iTunes. The version I just downloaded off Versiontracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/morei ... vid=212280 *does* work fine - Versiontracker marks it as version 1.0.2 - although when you do a Get Info on it, it still claims to be version 1.0.1. The created / modified dates are much later.

Give it a go anyway, and see if it sorts your problem out.

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:03 pm

straycat wrote:Give it a go anyway, and see if it sorts your problem out.
I originally put the .1 on there, and though I had replaced it with the .2 but I may not have properly blown out the old version. I'll give it another try tonight. Thanks!
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:54 pm

Huzzah! After making sure I blew out the .1 version completely and downloading a fresh copy of .2 I'm back in business. Thanks again!
Reuben Brown
Southern California