equalize Mp3 volume levels

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

jesica

equalize Mp3 volume levels

#1 Post by jesica » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:06 am

I have copied many old cassettes to my computer and have split each into separate songs. I selected several songs from different tapes and tried to burn. But when I listened to the CD, I had to continually adjust the volume on player. Some played much louder than other and some I could hardly hear. I sure would like to be able to level out all the sound so they play at the same levels. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other software which will equalize volume levels. Nothing fancy, just the basics.

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:27 pm

what operating system are you using? (yes, i realise that since you don't mention it it's gonna be windows, but, dammit, i'm gonna make people suffer for using windows. state it outright and burn in shame, i say.)

what program are you using to burn? most have settings to burn equalised volume tracks. itunes, for example, calls it "sound check". preferences -> advanced -> burning -> use sound check.

what file format do you have your music in? likely it's wav, but it could be a ton of other things. this matters.

in any case, regardless of your answers to the previous three questions, audacity will do what you want and a ton more. it's absurdly powerful, but it's not that difficult to use.

Toon Town Dave

#3 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Whatever software, the magic term to look for is to "normalize" the levels.

I've seen the option in software for burning and/or ripping and also dealing with a single recording. I'm not sure what might take a collection of audio files and normalize them relative to each other. There's probably someting, I just haven't come across that use case.

tornredcarpet

#4 Post by tornredcarpet » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:38 pm

A really good program I used to use is MP3Gain. Now I normalize everything when I rip it, so I don't need a separate normalizing program anymore.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

Lawrence

#5 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Nero has a normalizing feature.

This problem is not unique to your own recordings of cassettes/LPs. CDs are often recorded at different volumes. The Diane Schur/Count Basie Orch CD is one that is infamous for being recorded at a low level, so if you aren't paying attention the next song can come on blaring like gangbusters if you don't reduce the volume between tracks.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Katie

#6 Post by Katie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:28 am

Can't directly edit the audio CD track, import the audio CD track to PC, then using editing/ converting software like FlexiMusic Wave Editor. Play the audio files in this software, from the menu; select “volume” command where in select the "Simple Compress/ expand option to opt the percentage of the volume for the entire audio file. Suggest that choosing 85% of volume would be optimum for the entire audio file.