Playing with the Pre-amp level in iTunes

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Playing with the Pre-amp level in iTunes

#1 Post by Haydn » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:31 am

I have been playing with the Pre-amp level in iTunes EQ settings. Reducing the level seems to reduce distortion in some tracks. The lost volume can be recovered by choosing a louder EQ setting, or in the Volume Adjustment for that track.

Anyone else played around with the pre-amp level to improve the sound?

Surreal

#2 Post by Surreal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:36 pm

I've had pretty much the same experience. The big pre-arm bar just creates distortion if I turn it up, but I haven't noticed much difference in turning it down. Actually, if I turn it up then take it back to middle, it'll have residual distortion.

Bob the Builder

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Volume is a very odd thing on a lot of computer software.
Most of the programs that you use don't have a Vu meter on them, so it is very difficult to know what is the sound level coming out of our "Out" jack.
Personally, I wouldn't turn any of the software program volume level up about 75%. As you all are aware different records are mastered differently and the amplitude can be very, very different from one to another. If your volume is set to high, it is likely you may very well get Clipping happening.
Use the trim/gain pot on the mixer to boost or cut the signal as it comes into your mixer, before the fader. Very good mixers will have a solo switch which allow you to meter the volume level in the Vu meter before the Fader. Ideally your input signal should peak at 0 dBu. Many DJ mixers won’t have this solo metering option but live sound reinforcement mixers should.
I'm lucky. I use a DJ indigo echo sound card, and it comes with a mixer software that has a Vu meter on it.

Brian :D
Last edited by Bob the Builder on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surreal

#4 Post by Surreal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:44 am

Vu? Bdu?

Haydn

#5 Post by Haydn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:47 am

Bob the Builder wrote: I'm lucky. I use a DJ indigo echo sound card, and it comes with a mixer software that has a Vu meter on it.
They don't work on Macs do they?

Bob the Builder

#6 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Woops, - dBu.
edited above
Sorry.