Getting track info with .flac?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Thain

Getting track info with .flac?

#1 Post by Thain » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:54 pm

I've recently decided to think about switching my library from vbr mp3s to flac files, but I have an odd problem.

I'm using EAC with the .flac external encoder, and I dont seem to be able to access track information after the final encoding is done.

As an example, all my old mp3s obviously show track info and whatnot in their id3 tags, but also can show track, year, etc in windows explorer (I find it easier to organize albums by track for when I am spinning). Is there any way to similiarly have track info encoded by the flac encoder? In the external command line perhaps? Anyone have any experience with this at all?

Otherwise, the EAC->.flac external coding works wonderfully, I just want better organization than alphabetical.

Thanks!
-thain

Cyrano de Maniac

#2 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:20 am

The FLAC code from http://flac.sourceforge.net/ includes the utility "metaflac", which will allow you to add and edit comments/tags. There are binaries available for most popular operating systems, and even some fairly uncommon ones.

Another option, which might be particularly good if you need to do a lot of this after the fact (i.e. after encoding the files, rather than during), is EasyTag, which can be downloaded from
http://easytag.sourceforge.net/ for Windows and other operating systems. It's not always the most intuitive user-interface, but once you get the hang of it it accomplishes the job quite handily.

It would be up to whatever FLAC creation utility you use to automatically import CDDB entries or other such information, and of course the method to enable this will vary from utility to utility. Personally I use the "abcde" package to rip/encode/tag, and it's "just worked" for tagging all my FLAC files. But I don't believe abcde is available for Windows.

Brent