Trim an audio

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

jesica

Trim an audio

#1 Post by jesica » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:18 am

I need a real good piece of software that'll trim an audio track I have and mute some of the background music out of it, any ideas?

Katie

#2 Post by Katie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:24 pm

Any audio editing software program can be of use. Select the audio file or track and then Using "trim" command, the audio file or track can be trimmed. Found this option in FlexiMusic Wave Editor Software. Regarding muting background music can only minimize the background music, but cannot completely mute it off.

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:45 am

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:03 am

wow...I am so retro...can someone define trimming for me? it sounds interesting and useful. Applications?

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:48 am

Trimming Silence
Many songs have a few seconds of silence at either end. Trimming off this silence will make the files smaller and allow for a more continuous flow of music. In most cases, you should leave anywhere from ¼ to ½ second of silence at the end of each song, unless you are making a continuous mix of dance music, in which case you’ll want no silence.

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks.

Confusion - Why did the original poster write - "mute some of the background music out of it"?

No music is really being muted or trimmed, right? How about the aftertones? I always sounds weird when those are clipped off at the very end of a recording....that last fraction of a second.
Last edited by Eyeball on Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CafeSavoy

#7 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Eyeball wrote:Thanks.

Confusion - Why did the original posier write - "mute some of the background music out of it"?

No music is really being muted or trimmed, right? How about the aftertones? I always sounds weird when those are clipped off at the very end of a recording....that last fraction of a second.
That is a different question than trimming the file. And a more difficult task too. Some editors have filters for noise and such, but that is still more complicated than trimming silence.

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:41 pm

Ahhh..ok..thanx.

I misread the original post. She is seeking a device or program that will do both jobs. It was how she wrote the sentence that threw me off.

The only 'file' I have is an analog cassette tape I made of a lot of friends sitting around talking in the lounge of a restaurant and some doofus was blaring a jukebox in the background for 15 minutes.

Is there a device or software that would reduce the volume of the music and/or bring up the voices of the people talking?

I trried ordinary analog filters/equalizers ages ago. Didn't work.