Small speakers for laptop DJing

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

la musette

Small speakers for laptop DJing

#1 Post by la musette » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:11 am

I am loving my brand new MacBook (my first laptop!) and all its fantastic features. You should all get one :) (if you buy before Sept 16th and have an old student ID you can get $179 off any iPod- I'm using that as my preview device since you can't preview in itunes)

Now I want to get some speakers.

I want them to be loud enough to teach a small lesson or DJ a room of say 10 people. Plus, they need to be super portable because I'm going to be on 100% public transport for the next 8 months.

Anyone have some laptop speakers they're crazy about? Something with a case might be nice, I'm thinking.

(and I did see the thread posted a while back about Virgin Boomtubes- I'm thinking about them but apparently the smaller ones are battery-powered ONLY and suck the life out of the batteries rather quick. i'm still interested in the larger size though)

Travis

Virgin VS2100 Boomtube EX

#2 Post by Travis » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:31 am

I bought the Virgin VS2100 Boomtube EX (the larger one powered by batteries or AC adapter) last year to teach with. Based on all the user comments I thought they would fit my needs perfectly. When I got them they were even smaller than I thought they'd be. I loved how ultra-portable they were but I found that they didn't quite crank out enough volume for a room with 30 people (and a squeaky hardwood floor). If you would use these in a quieter room with only 10 people then you might be ok. Mine have sat in my closet for the last 8 months and I was going to put them up for sale on ebay or craigslist but if you (or anyone else) are interested in buying them pm me and we'll talk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AR ... 53?ie=UTF8

LindyChef

#3 Post by LindyChef » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Sonic Impact's Fold Flat Speakers have worked for me:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... lectronics

At Y6A I unfolded them after a dance in a subway station and we had a little impromptu dance then and there.

la musette

#4 Post by la musette » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:47 am

LindyChef wrote:Sonic Impact's Fold Flat Speakers have worked for me:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... lectronics

At Y6A I unfolded them after a dance in a subway station and we had a little impromptu dance then and there.
How flat do they fold? Would they fit in a laptop bag?

LindyChef

#5 Post by LindyChef » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:23 am

They fold to a couple of inches, but they are a bit on the large side ... they need a large backpack (they're 21" x 28").

la musette

#6 Post by la musette » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Thanks for the input, all.

I am actually going to Montpellier, France for a temporary job and I'm starting to feel my budget tightening already, so I'm going to put off this investment for a bit and hopefully bum some old speakers off a friend for the time being.

zzzzoom

#7 Post by zzzzoom » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:02 pm

If you are going to be in Montpellier, Mandy, you won't be lacking for music or dancing! Enjoy!