External Sound Cards for Laptop DJing

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

#31 Post by Haydn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:02 pm

lipi wrote:you know they don't work because you tried one and it didn't work, or you know they don't work because you read the webpage you linked and it listed only windows? unless it's the former, i still call baloney.[/list]
I was going to buy one, but the web page says it only supports Windows. If it works with Macs, I would have thought they would say so.

david

#32 Post by david » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:18 am

lipi wrote:
hear hear... a little research and shopping does indeed reveal wider options for the pc... much wider.
since we're talking laptops here, simply put: baloney. all external soundcards will work just as well on macs as they will on wintel boxes; all the common hardware interfaces are shared. the (usually fairly useless) applications that come with the device may not run on os x, but that's all.

(an internal card for a desktop system is another matter.)
This is probable true for all USB-based boxes, since there is a Audio-over USB standard that everybody seems to use. But there is no such standard for Firewire (IEEE1394), so you are more likely to need vendor-provided drivers for those. Which means that if they don't ship Mac drivers, it won't work on a Mac.

I have a M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB box which I bought to make recordings, since it has good mic inputs with phantom power etc. in addition to balanced and unbalanced line outputs. I haven't tried to DJ with it yet, but I plan to.

Haydn

#33 Post by Haydn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:02 pm

Haydn wrote:
lipi wrote:all external soundcards will work just as well on macs as they will on wintel boxes
The Turtle Beach ones don't work on Macs. I know because I wanted to buy one for my Mac ...
http://www.turtle-beach.com/site/produc ... cthome.asp
http://www.turtle-beach.com/site/produc ... oineed.asp
I decided to order one of these anyway, and it DOES work in my iMac G5. Lipi was right! The software supplied is Windows only, so that's no good, but the USB interface was literally 'plug and play'. (Why don't the manufacturers tell you the hardware works on Mac? - I'm sure they are losing sales as a result). It really boosts the output volume. For sound output, it's much better than the Edirol UA-1EX I had before. And the 'Volume Logic' plug-in seems to work well with it too 8). I was thinking of getting a PC laptop for DJing, but this has made me think about getting a Mac one instead.

lipi

#34 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:10 am

(Why don't the manufacturers tell you the hardware works on Mac? - I'm sure they are losing sales as a result).
probably because of qa and support resources. that is, assuring that this thing will work on another hardware platform or operating system takes time and people and hardware. then, once you say that a certain os is supported, you also have to make sure your support department is trained in using that os, has a machine available at all times to run that os and reproduce customer problems with, etc.

the mac market is too small to merit the extra expense required in qa and support. or, the market is perceived as too small by turtle beach. whether it really is, i cannot say.

kinda sucks, i know. (it took quite a while for the software company i work for to develop a mac product, because the market was perceived as small.)[/quote]

tornredcarpet

Offshoot from the 30's tracks sounding brighter thread

#35 Post by tornredcarpet » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Since the XMod has become its own subject I thought I'd bring it into here...

If I'm reading this right... I can use it as a sound card, right?
And it works for Al Green? :D
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

scowl

#36 Post by scowl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:10 pm

The Numark mixer I've been using for a little over a year has two USB connections so people can plug up to two laptops in and instantly have second 24 bit sound cards for free. I always get crystal clear sound and it's eliminated a lot of problems I've had with ground loops and loose connections. People can continue to use their laptop's built-in sound card for previewing songs. I haven't had any compatibility problems with any laptops so far including new and old Macs, PCs and a couple of Linux machines.

main_stem

Re: External Sound Cards

#37 Post by main_stem » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Lars wrote:Image

This is what I use, an old Creative Soundblaster MP3. The sound has been perfect for every room that I've DJ'd in from large hall to small bar room setting even outdoors at the Calatrava.
Does anypne know if these work with Macs?
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Haydn

#38 Post by Haydn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:02 pm

scowl wrote:The Numark mixer I've been using for a little over a year has two USB connections so people can plug up to two laptops in and instantly have second 24 bit sound cards for free. I always get crystal clear sound and it's eliminated a lot of problems I've had with ground loops and loose connections. People can continue to use their laptop's built-in sound card for previewing songs. I haven't had any compatibility problems with any laptops so far including new and old Macs, PCs and a couple of Linux machines.
Which Numark mixer is it?

Bob the Builder

#39 Post by Bob the Builder » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:42 pm

scowl wrote:The Numark mixer I've been using for a little over a year has two USB connections so people can plug up to two laptops in and instantly have second 24 bit sound cards for free. I always get crystal clear sound and it's eliminated a lot of problems I've had with ground loops and loose connections. People can continue to use their laptop's built-in sound card for previewing songs. I haven't had any compatibility problems with any laptops so far including new and old Macs, PCs and a couple of Linux machines.
Are you very, very sure it totally gets rid of Ground loops? How is it powered and does it have a balanced output.
A Balanced output at the source is the only 100% definate way to ensure you don't get ground loops.

Toon Town Dave

#40 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:23 pm

I'd venture a guess that the internal power supply isolates it from the wall supply and the communication with the computer is USB (digital) so ground loops shouldn't be a problem anywhere.

And to answer Kevin's question about the Soundblaster, I don't know if they work with Mac (I tend to think not) but even if they did, I'd probably recommend something else. I find the controls on the unit itself are next to useless, in particular, the mute button is really easy to activate and it will only un-mute in software. It behaves the same under Windows XP and Linux so I tend to think the hardware is the problem. I'll probably replace mine some time soon when I'm annoyed with it enough to spend some money.

tornredcarpet

#41 Post by tornredcarpet » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:17 pm

I got an Xmod in a Micro Center in Smyrna, GA for $64.

Worked on Jeff Miller's computer (a powermac) fine, worked on PCs as well just as well.

The surround sound thing i'm not too fond of... the crystallizer sound enhancer thing is cool though.. really brings out each instrument.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

scowl

#42 Post by scowl » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:Are you very, very sure it totally gets rid of Ground loops?
The mixer's USB inputs go through isolation transformers. It's not possible to have a ground loop because there is literally no electrical connection between the USB inputs and anything else. There are no common grounds.
How is it powered and does it have a balanced output.
It's powered from the AC and it has balanced outputs (don't all pro mixers have balanced outputs these days?).
A Balanced output at the source is the only 100% definate way to ensure you don't get ground loops.
Isolation transformers are the only way I know to prevent them with digital sources (besides optical connections). They electrically remove the input from everything else. My experience with ground loops is that they occur when there is a voltage difference between the input's ground and the mixer's ground. This is usually a 60hz (in the US) AC voltage.

julius

#43 Post by julius » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:13 am

I just bought an external Live! for $40 (used). I have no idea if I got ripped off or not. The sad part is that I don't even really have a use for it (except maybe to rip old cassette tapes).

Maybe someday I'll even buy a laptop.

Ryan

#44 Post by Ryan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 am

FOR ALL YOU ECHO INDIGO LOVERS....

I called Echo today to see if they were developing an Express Card version of the Indigo DJ. Well, they are... and from what they told me, it should be out by mid October.

Surreal

#45 Post by Surreal » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:02 pm

What's the difference between an express card and pcmcia?