Sound 'cutting out'

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Sound 'cutting out'

#1 Post by Haydn » Wed May 03, 2006 6:01 am

DJing last night with my Numark CD Mix 2, I noticed the sound was cutting out occasionally. The sound kept losing level, possibly in only one of the two channels, as some instruments seemed to disappear.

It was as if there was a problem with the connecting cable to the amp, but I checked that. It was fine on the headphones.

Any other ideas?

Haydn

#2 Post by Haydn » Mon May 15, 2006 9:16 am

** Update **

I've discovered that one of the two RCA outputs from the Numark CD Mix 2 isn't working. I think that was the cause of the sound 'cutting out' that I noticed. The XLR outputs both work, so I'm going use them from now on. Incidentally, it wasn't obvious that one of the outputs wasn't working, because most records are either mono or have little stereo separation. In fact, it was only when I played a modern stereo pop record that I realised one of the stereo channels was missing.

Colin_Farquhar

#3 Post by Colin_Farquhar » Thu May 18, 2006 1:20 am

HI There:
My first response would be to see if this mixer is under warranty, and/or take it back to the place/person you bought it from. That said, most DJ gear isn't the most-well-constructed equipment ever (for a few hundred bucks, can you really complain?), and typically i/p & o/p jacks have bad mechanical anchoring, or none at all. What that means is that the RCA jacks on you mixer may be connected to the mixer by nothing more than the 2 solder connections to the circuit board for each jack, and plugging/unplugging them has weakened/broken one of them (hence the intermittent o/p). If this is the case, and you're forced to repair things yourself, any competent electronics tech won't have much problem at all tracing and fixing this problem. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can probably fix it yourself!