Creative Extigy

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

Creative Extigy

#1 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed May 07, 2003 5:28 am

This seems to be an interesting gadget to own, does anyone else have one of these external sound cards? I guess it works with a few different divices. I have it plugged into my Lap top right now and I'm trying to get the hang of it.
The remote control will take some getting used to, but it seems pretty easy to go through all the music on your lap top from 10 feet away..hahaha
It seems pretty damn cool, the good thing is it opens up my Laptop headphone jack so I can pre-select and listen to tracks.
as soon as I get the hang of it , I'll give an update.

GemZombie

Re: Creative Extigy

#2 Post by GemZombie » Wed May 07, 2003 1:45 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:This seems to be an interesting gadget to own, does anyone else have one of these external sound cards? I guess it works with a few different divices. I have it plugged into my Lap top right now and I'm trying to get the hang of it.
The remote control will take some getting used to, but it seems pretty easy to go through all the music on your lap top from 10 feet away..hahaha
It seems pretty damn cool, the good thing is it opens up my Laptop headphone jack so I can pre-select and listen to tracks.
Yep, I've had one for close to two years now, and use it for DJing exclusively (for the very reason you mentioned, being able to queue/listen to songs). I have no need for the remote control though.

DapperDan

#3 Post by DapperDan » Wed May 07, 2003 5:45 pm

I've got an Onkyo SE-U55. It's the same basic deal as the Creative Extigy, except it natively supports 44KHz audio, rather than the 48KHz of the Extigy. That makes it better for dealing with CD audio.

I've used it for snarfing music from my DirecTV box, directly from the digital audio output jack. I've also used it for digitizing vinyl records. For my PC laptop, I had to install Onkyo's software. For my PowerMac desktop, I just plugged it in and it worked without anything special. Audacity's record button just worked. Amazing.

SirScratchAlot

Re: Creative Extigy

#4 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon May 12, 2003 3:08 am

GemZombie wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:This seems to be an interesting gadget to own, does anyone else have one of these external sound cards? I guess it works with a few different divices. I have it plugged into my Lap top right now and I'm trying to get the hang of it.
Yep, I've had one for close to two years now, and use it for DJing exclusively (for the very reason you mentioned, being able to queue/listen to songs). I have no need for the remote control though.
i'm still trying how to figure it out....it sounds real nice! I'm not sure how much better it sounds then just going stright out of my PC.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Mon May 12, 2003 8:28 am

that would depend on how good your sound card in your PC is.

A lot of internal sound cards have a lot of hiss and bleed. The internal SB Audigy, and most of the true Sound blasters for that matter, do pretty well. Cheap audio cards sound horrid, lots of hiss and electronic noise.

The Extigy is quite clean sounding. Most laptops have pretty poor quality sound coming from their internal card... that was one of the reasons I picked up an extigy, with the primary reason being I wanted a device so that I could queue/listen to songs while I DJ'd... that was the most important piece.

SirScratchAlot

#6 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:51 pm

GemZombie wrote:that would depend on how good your sound card in your PC is.

A lot of internal sound cards have a lot of hiss and bleed. The internal SB Audigy, and most of the true Sound blasters for that matter, do pretty well. Cheap audio cards sound horrid, lots of hiss and electronic noise.

The Extigy is quite clean sounding. Most laptops have pretty poor quality sound coming from their internal card... that was one of the reasons I picked up an extigy, with the primary reason being I wanted a device so that I could queue/listen to songs while I DJ'd... that was the most important piece.
Ok, so depending on your internal sound card you play out the external (extigy) which is better then most internals?

I'm going to try playing a couple tunes tommorrow night straight out of my Lap top and get a sample of the quality....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:22 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote: Ok, so depending on your internal sound card you play out the external (extigy) which is better then most internals?

I'm going to try playing a couple tunes tommorrow night straight out of my Lap top and get a sample of the quality....
Yup. Good luck, and let me know whatcha think

yedancer

#8 Post by yedancer » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:28 pm

It seems like the sound level from the intertnal sound card is very low. Does SB Extigy give you more output? Of course, I haven't tried sending sound out to a DJ system, just a home stereo system. Could that be why it doesn't get very loud?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:10 am

yedancer wrote:It seems like the sound level from the intertnal sound card is very low. Does SB Extigy give you more output? Of course, I haven't tried sending sound out to a DJ system, just a home stereo system. Could that be why it doesn't get very loud?
Actually, you're kind of correct. Most Laptop sound cards have only "Headphone" out jacks. The output from the Extigy is "Line Out" Quality, and does differ slightly. Though, if your internal actually has a line-level output, then it shouldn't be much different.

SirScratchAlot

#10 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:00 am

GemZombie wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote: Ok, so depending on your internal sound card you play out the external (extigy) which is better then most internals?

Yup. Good luck, and let me know whatcha think
OK, so I DJed using both sources (internal as well as extigy) I kinda had to re-ajust eq settings ,volumes and such when going back and forth.

Both sounded nice , My internal was more then Loud enough, and ofcourse the Extigy can over load the hell out of the DJ system.
I had to keep the extigy volume way way down, to keep the DJ board volume at a normal level.