Slimline jewel cases
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 20

Lawrence

Storage Options

#1 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:17 pm

A while ago, Nathan posted a poll in DJ skillzthat references some options for CD storage. Some indicated the above options, but I wanted to get an updated snapshot of what everyone currently does in the proper forum. Jesse, do you still store all your CDs in their original jewel cases on shelves? If so, just how many rooms do you have with the walls lined with CDs? :lol:

Currently, I keep all my originals in CD Binders and have tossed the jewel cases into the recycling bin. Doing so initially cut down quite a bit on the clutter, but it has again gotten too unmanageable: difficult to either update or to use, and frankly unsightly from an aesthetic point of view. I am considering putting everything into individual CD sleeves, and storing them in a drawer unit (dresser or filing cabinet), like many used CD stores do as a theft-deterrent: they display the jewel case and insert materials in the stacks but keep the actual CDs behind the counter in envelopes. Doing so should make the CDs more accessible and make the collection easier to update. I would thereafter only keep one or two binders of compilations to carry with me.

Even if you have gone laptop, what do you do with the original CDs?

Your thoughts/experiences?
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

Re: Storage Options

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:28 pm

This is my plan, I think we discussed it a few months back, the problem is finding a time to put the CDs/inserts in the sleeves (actually I am probably going to use sandwich bags, a cheap way of getting a sleeve large enough to old the back insert as well):
Lawrence wrote:I am considering putting everything into individual CD sleeves, and storing them in a drawer unit (dresser or filing cabinet), like many used CD stores do as a theft-deterrent: they display the jewel case and insert materials in the stacks but keep the actual CDs behind the counter in envelopes.
The only cases I will keep are the box sets are particularly nice custom cases. If it is a generic jewel case, it is going to go.

I just don't have the space. Being that I hardly ever listen to real CDs anymore, what is the point in keeping all the jewel cases.

Bob the Builder

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:45 pm

I keep the CD's in there original cases. I believe they are less likely to be damaged in them than anywhere else.
I then store them in a PVC duel CD stackable drawer storage system. Each drawer takes about 25 CDs and it is very easy to move the CD's around with in the drawers and the drawers themselves. (the other day I moved all my stuff from upstairs to downstairs and I only took me 10 minutes).
It's also very easy to find specific CD's when I want them.
It's a very compact way to store 700 CDs and I would not see why it wouldn't work with 2000 CDs.

Brian

JesseMiner

Re: Storage Options

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:14 am

JesseMiner wrote:I keep all of my original CDs in their jewel cases.

For years they were either in boxes or stacked in piles around my apartment while I agonized over the best method of storage. I had images in my head of those sweet floor-to-ceiling shelving units that radio stations use. Finally I found a great store here in San Francisco called Stumasa that builds quality and reasonably-priced wooden CD shelving. I now have some of their customized shelving bolted in my office (gotta be prepared for earthquakes). It is the perfect solution for me, and I love having the access to my music.

Jesse
Answer is still the same. No plans to change anytime soon. :)

Jesse

julius

#5 Post by julius » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:50 pm

I can't quite figure out how many CDs I own because stupid-ass Windows Media Player won't tell me the numerical figure and I'm too lazy to count, but I'd estimate it at about 800-900 (not all are jazz). I have them sorted into different CD racks in alphabetical order by genre, which makes it super easy to find CDs.

I could not imagine storing CDs in binders. I assume that you leave space in between CDs in case you buy a new CD that slots in between two others in whatever sorting method you use, but eventually don't you get to a point where you need to take out a zillion CDs and re-insert them?

The ideal solution would obviously be to store all your CDs in a jukebox or set of jukeboxes!

Platypus

#6 Post by Platypus » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:13 pm

I store in CD ring binders so I can insert more pages, if needed. I keep everything alphabetized, and updating doesn't present a problem. I have at least 8 binders, tying on little labels (sales tags) on each case sorted by alphabet letter, just like the spine of an encyclopedia. I replace the labels when I add/move my sleeves from binder to binder.

Most of my binders are this brand:

http://www.scosche.com/soundkase/produc ... ckets.aspx

julius

#7 Post by julius » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:40 pm

ahhh, ring binders. now i can't help thinking about keeping all my CDs in Trapper Keepers.

Jerry_Jelinek

#8 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:26 am

I use exclusively the original CD holders. Then the large collection is stored in very nice (but not cheap) metail drawers at home:

http://www.can-am.ca/

Then I take to the radio station every week a 50 CD case logic container and a tote bag for large box sets (Mosaic and Proper).

Because my shows are different every week, I only need maybe 30 or so CDs per week. This solution works best for me. I have the liner notes with me at all times, and I only expose a handful of my collection to potential damage at a time.

kbuxton

#9 Post by kbuxton » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:36 am

My 1300+ cds are all on shelves.. Unfortunatley now they're full and there's not really any room in my apartment for more shelves, so I either need to start weeding or come up with a different solution.

JohnDyer

#10 Post by JohnDyer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:12 am

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:I use exclusively the original CD holders. Then the large collection is stored in very nice (but not cheap) metail drawers at home:

http://www.can-am.ca/

Then I take to the radio station every week a 50 CD case logic container and a tote bag for large box sets (Mosaic and Proper).

Because my shows are different every week, I only need maybe 30 or so CDs per week. This solution works best for me. I have the liner notes with me at all times, and I only expose a handful of my collection to potential damage at a time.
Wow, someone else has the same shelving units as me. I searched and searched and SEARCHED for these. And you're right - they're not cheap - but boy will they ever hold a shi*load of CDs! I have 10 drawers and each drawer is capable of holding 270 CDs. I use them for DVDs and VHS tapes as well, and still have plenty of room for growth. Slap on the formica top, and it almost passes as furniture :)
John Dyer, Denver CO

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:07 pm

julius wrote:I could not imagine storing CDs in binders. I assume that you leave space in between CDs in case you buy a new CD that slots in between two others in whatever sorting method you use, but eventually don't you get to a point where you need to take out a zillion CDs and re-insert them?
Yes, exactly, I put them all in binders with five spaces between each CD so I wouldn't need to reorganize the entire binder.... :roll: 8)

Actually, I have three-ring binders to which I can add new pages when necessary. But it is still too unmanageable. They were far more useful when I had only three binders of Swing music.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com