VHS to 8mm...

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

TacomaTony

VHS to 8mm...

#1 Post by TacomaTony » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:16 am

I have a Sony Handycam 8mm Handheld Camera. I had some very important footage on 8mm that got erased. Luckily it had been dubbed onto a VHS tape. Now I can't get it back onto 8mm.
I need it on 8mm so I can stream it Firewire into my computer. I don't want to buy an 8mm VCR. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Tacoma Tony

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:01 pm

1) what inputs does your camera have?
2) what outputs does your vcr have?

the rest is left as an excercise for the reader.

in other words: we can't help if you don't tell us more. the obvious thing to do is to connect your vcr and camera by rca video cables. your vcr will almost certainly have rca out. your camera will likely have a combined video/audio in. a cable will be less than $10 at radio shack or similar store, and probably came with your camera to begin with.

TacomaTony

#3 Post by TacomaTony » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:41 pm

I have tried RCA to input on the camera. I can watch the incoming video on the cameras screen, but it will not record the signal.

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:48 pm

if the signal makes it to the camera's screen, you should be able to record. i don't have a sony handycam, so i can't help you much, but check the obvious:

. do you have a tape in the camera?
. is the safety tab on the tape set to "record" (not "save")? try to shoot a little footage to make sure the tape is o.k.
. do you have the camera in "vcr" or "playback" mode? you should. you don't want it in record mode, counterintuitively enough.

other than that, check the user manual. i had a hell of a time figuring out how to dub to my canon dv when i'd just gotten it and had left the manual at home. (vcr mode -> pause record -> play on source deck -> pause on camera -- in that order, thankyouverymuch.)