What's your default player app?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

wheresmygravy

What's your default player app?

#1 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:01 pm

I was wondering what you use as a default MP3 player on your computer. When you just want to listen to something real quick while you are looking thru a file folder.

So in Windows, it's what app do you associate with MP3's. I have been using Real Player, because it loads quickly, but it obviously doesn't have to be a full blown music system to play an MP3. But I don't want to have to wait 10 seconds for the program to load (iTunes, Media Monkey, WMP, etc) just so I can see if this is the song I think it is.

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:14 pm

winamp is my default for windows. next would be itunes. i only use realaudio for realaudio streams. Oh, for winamp i use the stripped down version of 5.08 with the classic skin.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:28 pm

WinAmp

funkyfreak

#4 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:39 pm

Ditto, 2.80. Loads extremely fast, easy-reach buttons.

-FF

JohnDyer

#5 Post by JohnDyer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Stripped down winamp. So fast and so easy to use.
John Dyer, Denver CO

LindyChef

#6 Post by LindyChef » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:58 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:winamp is my default for windows. next would be itunes. i only use realaudio for realaudio streams. Oh, for winamp i use the stripped down version of 5.08 with the classic skin.
Ditto except I use Media Player Classic for audio streams ... Hooray for Real Alternative!

wheresmygravy

#7 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:32 pm

Changed to WinAmp, Much better, thanks guys.

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:34 pm

A WinAmp related article that came out today. I have never noticed that AOL owns the company that makes WinAmp.

Gigs & Bytes:
What Were Once Features...
Updated 03:20 PST Tue, Mar 01 2005
Only one week after it was revealed that a feature in Winamp allowed users to save songs served up by Napster's new Napster-To-Go service, a spokeswoman for AOL announced that the module would be removed from upcoming versions of the software music player.
Napster-To-Go allows users to port an unlimited amount of songs from the Napster online music service to personal music players for only $14.99 per month. However, once you cancel the subscription, the songs, which are Windows Media files, cancel themselves by refusing to play.
Napster-To-Go was only a couple of weeks old when word got out that a particular feature in Winamp allowed people to save copies of those songs to their hard drives. However, Napster was quick to point out that the copies are not exact duplicates of the songs. Instead, the saved files are recordings taken from computer sound cards as the songs play. Want to save a three minute song? It will take you three minutes to record it. Just like taping songs off the radio.
But AOL, owners of Nullsoft, which makes Winamp, didn't like being associated with something that even hints at copyright infringement. According to CNET, AOL has already removed the offending, plug-in module and is developing a patch that will be "pushed" to Winamp users as an update.
"Immediately upon discovering this flaw, we worked quickly to address it and to ensure that Winamp can continue to provide secure playback of Windows Media content," AOL spokeswoman Ann Burkart said. "A fix is being implemented today in existing players, and a new player will be posted for users to download."
Note Ms. Burkart's description of the plug-in as a "flaw." Up until a few weeks ago it was considered a "feature."

LindyChef

#9 Post by LindyChef » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:20 pm

Nullsoft's been owned by AOL for years ;)