Laptop DJing

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shanabanana

#211 Post by Shanabanana » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:29 pm

LindyChef wrote:Shana, I use iTunes to preview/search for tracks (since iTunes has great text search capabilities) and I use WinAMP to output my tracks.

Basically, iTunes uses the default sound card (which can be set in your Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio tab area) I typically set that to be the laptop's sound card.

Then in WinAMP I go to the properties (Ctrl + P) and to to the Plugins > Output > Direct Sound Output and select my external sound card (to avoid interference caused by my computer in the internal cound card).

Then when I find a track I want to play, I drop it from iTunes into the WinAMP playlist. Very convienent.
I assume that you're using a windows machine, Martin? That's exactly the solution I'm working on right now, I appreciate your confirmation that I'm not on a wild goose chase.

I tried Mike's solution of multiple users, but it just gets messy on XP. Incidentally, mac users using iTunes to DJ should check out Detour and Soundsource as a way to control what goes to your sound cards. I find it amusing that computer technology has come to the point where a Windows user is frustrated that some cool programs are only available for mac. ;)

wheresmygravy

#212 Post by wheresmygravy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:12 pm

In teaching a workshop last weekend in portland, I found it conveinent to use an Apple Airport connected to the sound system and I used Itunes with my Laptop on the floor so that I did not have to run to the Dj booth everytime I wanted to play a song in class.

That was a nice little feature of Itunes. There were some minor hitches, but it was the first time I had tried to use that setup.

Shanabanana

#213 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:04 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:In teaching a workshop last weekend in portland, I found it conveinent to use an Apple Airport connected to the sound system and I used Itunes with my Laptop on the floor so that I did not have to run to the Dj booth everytime I wanted to play a song in class.
That was pretty slick. Better than having a remote.

Nate Dogg

#214 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:45 am

I saw this article on CNN.com today, reminded me of this thread and Jerry's recent post.

Turning the digital tables
MP3Jing opens the floor to amateurs
By Julie Clothier for CNN
Monday, December 20, 2004 Posted: 11:47 AM EST (1647 GMT)
CNN.com

MP3Jing is becoming increasingly popular with clubbers

SUPERSTAR DJ
Paul Oakenfold: "For me it all started with two turntables and a mixer."

LONDON, England (CNN) -- It looks like any ordinary nightclub.

On the packed dance floor, clubbers are moving to the music, obviously appreciating the DJ's selection.

But look a little closer at this London club and you will notice that, instead of turntables and endless sleeves of vinyl, the music playing out of the speakers is sourced from an iPod.

After three songs, the DJ steps down.

A number projected on the wall indicates it is time for another person to have a go with their MP3 player.

Welcome to No Wax -- the UK's first MP3Jing evenings, where ordinary punters get the chance to publicly show off the music stored inside their MP3 players.

The first No Wax evening -- wax being a colloquial word for vinyl record; and a play on British trip-hop label Mo Wax -- was held in the middle of 2003.

The concept is so popular, the evenings are regularly held throughout Britain, and the trend has spread as far as Tokyo and Hong Kong.

No Wax co-founder Charlie Gower told CNN that he and another friend -- both of whom DJ part-time with vinyl -- came up with the idea after using their Apple iPods to warm up their sets before switching over to vinyl.

"For regular DJs, the concept is too easy. It's a little boring: there's no flicking through records, there's no pulling them out of the packets," he said.

"So we thought if people who didn't normally DJ wanted to have a go, this would be the perfect way for them to do so."

The format of the evening works in a ballot type system. Those who want to have a go, take a ticket with a number on it.

When it is their turn to take control of the music, their number is projected on the wall.

Once in control, they share a set with another MP3 owner, alternating one of their songs with the other person. After three songs, they step down.

"They have no idea what the other person is going to play so they have to think on the spot of something that will work in well to keep the flow going," Gower said.

He said MP3 players were easily plugged into mixers, making the whole process relatively simple.

"It's not too often you find another use for something that it was never intended for," he said.

In the beginning, die-hard vinyl DJs were skeptical, Gower said. But they soon saw that it was a completely different ball game.

Dwayne Lewars, a 29-year-old graphic designer from London, has been turning up to No Wax evenings with his iPod since they started in London 18 months ago.

He has more than 2,000 songs loaded on to his iPod.

"I am not a DJ. I had never done DJing before this. It's quite a novel idea. You get to play exactly what you want to hear," Lewars said.

"With an iPod, there's so much to chose from, so much variety. It's nice to be able to play it in public. Normally I just listen to my iPod on the train or at work."

But he said playing at No Wax evenings had not spurred an interest in DJing with vinyl.

"I'll leave that to the professionals. This is just a bit of fun."

IPod jukebox nights are popular In New York and Washington DC, where clubbers get to play their own seven-minute set from the 3,000-odd songs stored on the club's iPod.

Andy Reid

#215 Post by Andy Reid » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:24 am

Interestingly, the iPod DJ night here in DC is organized by Fritz Hahn who used to DJ swing around here all the time. People bring their own iPods though, they don't have to use the club's... and people get 12 minutes. ;)

RaleighRob

#216 Post by RaleighRob » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:41 am

I bought an iMic last week and configured the Winamp/iTunes setup that Shana mentioned. I tried DJ'ing with it on my new WinXP laptop and had two problems:

1) When I plug in the iMic, the volume defaults to medium. To turn the volume all the way up, I have to change my default sound card to the iMic, turn the volume all the way up, then change the default sound card back to the internal sound card. Is there a way to set this permanently or do I have to set it every time I plug in the iMic?

2) Three times during the night, the iMic reset itself. The first time, I moved the laptop about 2 feet, being really careful to not disconnect the iMic. The other two times, my headphone cords barely nudged the iMic cable. In all three cases, the music stopped mid-song (I assume Winamp lost contact with the iMic so it stopped playing) and I had to reset the iMic volume before I could continue. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Yakov

#217 Post by Yakov » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:31 pm

i think it's kind of insulting to folks who can't afford or don't want an ipod. they should be able to bring CDs

kitkat

#218 Post by kitkat » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:20 pm

I'm still a CD-DJ, and will be for a long time to come (no plans to get a laptop soon). However, I just got a DVD burner, which means I'm now backing things up on discs I can't stick into my MP3-capable car CD reader. I don't like listening to a disc at a time when I'm trying to decide what grabs me and what doesn't--I think too much of one artist on one album makes me deaf to what would've otherwise stood out.

So...I can stick a DVD of MP3 files into my computer & start listening. However, since it's read-only, I can't edit the ID3 tags. I just got Advanced Disk Catalog. It seems this'll work--I can use the "comments" field on it and toggle between Winamp & the ADC window. However, is there any more integrated player/cataglog? Something like ITunes, only where the comments stay on your hard drive even though the music's playing off a CD-ROM or DVD?

Or another idea...I used to be really into taking all my BPM by hand, but I know there are programs some of you have that seem to just measure it from the playing song--are there any catalogs out there that'll just save the BPM to comments as my music plays? Meanwhile, I'm doing my homework instead of using a stopwatch, only writing down comments when the song's really worth it.

Toon Town Dave

#219 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:52 pm

Katie, you may want too look into using DVD-RW or DVD+RW with a "packet" format rather than the usual ISO. Your burning software should have come with something to do this. I believe Roxio calls it "Drag to Disc", I forget what Nero calls it. Basically it allows you to use a CD or DVD RW like a floppy disc. The format is not standard so you need to have the same software installed to read the disc ... not a problem if you always use the discs on the same computer.

I use DVD RWs to store raw DV footage as data files when I'm (constantly) running low on disc space. I can re-use the discs over and over again. RW discs shouldn't cost too much more than non-rewriteable discs if you look around at some of the bulk media sellers.

As for your car, check if it can handle CD-RWs. If it can, you can just burn mixes onto CD and change them up every once in a while when you get tired of them.

GemZombie

#220 Post by GemZombie » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:45 pm

kitkat wrote:I'm still a CD-DJ, and will be for a long time to come (no plans to get a laptop soon). However, I just got a DVD burner, which means I'm now backing things up on discs I can't stick into my MP3-capable car CD reader. I don't like listening to a disc at a time when I'm trying to decide what grabs me and what doesn't--I think too much of one artist on one album makes me deaf to what would've otherwise stood out.

So...I can stick a DVD of MP3 files into my computer & start listening. However, since it's read-only, I can't edit the ID3 tags. I just got Advanced Disk Catalog. It seems this'll work--I can use the "comments" field on it and toggle between Winamp & the ADC window. However, is there any more integrated player/cataglog? Something like ITunes, only where the comments stay on your hard drive even though the music's playing off a CD-ROM or DVD?

Or another idea...I used to be really into taking all my BPM by hand, but I know there are programs some of you have that seem to just measure it from the playing song--are there any catalogs out there that'll just save the BPM to comments as my music plays? Meanwhile, I'm doing my homework instead of using a stopwatch, only writing down comments when the song's really worth it.
Dont suppose you bought a DVD-RAM capable writer did you? (Though the name DVD is a misnomber in DVD-RAM since it's completely different technology, it just looks like a DVD :P). If you did, it's random access rewritable, and you could use that for your id3 tag editing. The downside is that you'd have to have a DVD-RAM capable reader elsewhere... which isn't supported everywhere like DVD-R/+R is.

+RW and -RW could be made to work the way you want with a prodct like Sonic Drive Letter Access... but still kind of a pain. That's why all my digital music is on an external USB harddrive, which pretty much works anywhere I take it. (In dash car cd players don't support DVD-MP3 discs yet, at least that I'm aware of).

Shanabanana

#221 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:39 am

RaleighRob wrote:I bought an iMic last week and configured the Winamp/iTunes setup that Shana mentioned. I tried DJ'ing with it on my new WinXP laptop and had two problems:

1) When I plug in the iMic, the volume defaults to medium. To turn the volume all the way up, I have to change my default sound card to the iMic, turn the volume all the way up, then change the default sound card back to the internal sound card. Is there a way to set this permanently or do I have to set it every time I plug in the iMic?

2) Three times during the night, the iMic reset itself. The first time, I moved the laptop about 2 feet, being really careful to not disconnect the iMic. The other two times, my headphone cords barely nudged the iMic cable. In all three cases, the music stopped mid-song (I assume Winamp lost contact with the iMic so it stopped playing) and I had to reset the iMic volume before I could continue. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Rob, I've been running this setup for a while now, and I haven't had these problems. The settings seem to stick with the imic (the default for the computer and winamp stay, and the volume level stays high), and I haven't had reset problems. Maybe you need to exchange the iMic.

Bob the Builder

#222 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:31 pm

RaleighRob, I'll be really interested in the outcome on your iMic.

Question: If you have set songs on iTunes to start say 30 seconds into the file, does Wimamp recognize that?

Brian

Bob the Builder

#223 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:03 am

Ok I, just tested, and it doesn't work.
How you do set stop and start times for tracks on Winamp?

Brian

Greg Avakian

#224 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:26 am

You know, it's kind of funny that I started this thread with an interest in DJing from my laptop and I have decided to forget it. At all the events I have been to, some laptop DJ has had "something" go wrong. Or they didn't have the right adaptors. Or the volume from their laptop was so low, their set sounded like crap. In a few cases, those DJs had to give up their spots because they literally couldn't "spin".

I've also noticed that a lot of DJs get lazy when they use a laptop. they will often miss changing the next song or simply make a play list and forget about DJing for the crowd.

I've decided to cut down my collection. From a heavy monster CD book with 294 CDs, I'm down to a half-size traveling book of 48 Cds. It fits in any back pack and doesn't need a shoulder strap. I now carry only mixes -and I am much more aware of what I have in my book and what I play. I swap stuff sometimes. I also have another small book with a bunch of other stuff like more vintage music, westie stuff, motown, funk, etc. I mostly only use that for "non-Lindy' gigs where there will be ECSers or free-style dancers.

15 pages later that seemed kind of interesting to me...
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Mr Awesomer

#225 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:52 am

What's interesting to me is that I've been too two events within the last two months that had a couple dances set up where if all you had was CDs you couldn't DJ. (all they had were amps and speakers)
Reuben Brown
Southern California