Music Editing Software

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:05 pm

hep2hop wrote: Can anyone suggest a good but cheap editing software?

Chris
I haven't liked any of the freeware I've downloaded except for the Nero editor. You can use it free (and permanently save what you edit) for something like 2 weeks. It did everything I wanted it to except edit mp3-pro tracks (the pay version will do that).

(From what I've seen) the interfaces are all pretty similar. I think having an equalizer, a compressor, a limitor, and various modes for fading/crossfading are the most important features. I didn't use them all, but I'm pretty sure Nero has these...

Peace,
Greg

PS:
Shouldn't/Couldn't there be a seperate thread about this topic? It's a good one...
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:52 pm

Your wish is my command. ;)

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator

hep2hop

#3 Post by hep2hop » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Thanks for the tip, I will check out Nero. Has anyone ever used Sony Media Screenblast Sound Forge 7? It is a smaller version of Sound Forge, and is about $70. Not sure if bit depth make a difference for just editing...it is not 24 bit.

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/P ... ureID=7492

Chris

Jerry_Jelinek

#4 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:07 pm

I use and have used for the past 5+ years the Sound Forge basic version.

Since Sony bought the rights, the named has changed to Sound Forge Audio Studio:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/P ... sp?PID=945

I originally bought Sound Forge because I got a heck of a good deal when CompUSA was blowing the stock out for $10.

I have upgraded thru Sony to get MP3 support. I use the software probably 4-6 times per week and it does everything I need.

My basic needs are chopping up audio into smaller clips (from radio shows and LP sides). Then saving the audio to MP3 files for storage on hard drives and CDRs.

The Sound Forge Audio Studio does well at this and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But it doesn't have any really powerful noise reduction (click and pop) removal.

FYI,

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:58 am

I've used Audacity before, it isn't terrible and it's freeware.

hep2hop

#6 Post by hep2hop » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks! I am going to do some tests with Audacity, and see how they turn out. Otherwise, the Sound Forge Audio Studio sound like a pretty reasonable solution.

Chris

swing-o-logy

WAVElab

#7 Post by swing-o-logy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi there,

we are do some tries with WAVElab and cutmaster.pro but are not satisfied to this point, although they seem to be very high skilled programs (if not used by lesser skilled persons!!!).

Does anybody have some experiences with that Steinberger Cutmaster??? - Our aim is to save the tracks of old 78's, removing cracks and hisses and other noise!

Maja & Sven
www.swingology.de

Bob the Builder

#8 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:22 pm

I've just been looking into some sound noise professional software plugins.
Here is the link
Link

Bias SoundSoap Pro Restoration Plug-In (Macintosh and Windows)
&

Waves Native Restoration Bundle (Macintosh and Windows)

The are Plugin to general software editing programs like Sound Forge.

Brian

Skippy

#9 Post by Skippy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:18 pm

bob, have you digitised much vinyl in the past and cleaned it successfully enough to dj with?
http://www.swinggear.com.au

now selling authorised WWII posters and featuring a newly refined black t-shirt printing method. Now even greater quality than before.

The Peanut Vendor

#10 Post by The Peanut Vendor » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:14 am

Swifty wrote:I've used Audacity before, it isn't terrible and it's freeware.
Audacity is pretty good; I've used it a few times. Plus there are plug-ins you can add to do more functions than what is default.
..you can change the tempo without changing the pitch. I thought that was a pretty neat feature of audacity.
---
The Sugar Swing Dance club

Bob the Builder

#11 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Skippy wrote:bob, have you digitised much vinyl in the past and cleaned it successfully enough to dj with?
The short answer is no.
There has been a few things to stop me getting the quality result I wanted, but I'm in the process of changing that.

I've decided to get my self an Echo Indigo PCMCIA sound card with an in line, i.e. the sister card of the Indigo DJ Card. With that, I'll be happy that my recording will have no noise from the Laptop anyway.
I've also been looking around at some cheaper cleaning up software and I am quite happy with this: Polderbits.
I really like the way the user can switch on and off the different settings in real time. It's not very good on removing pops, but I couldn't believe how much hiss I could remove with out any apparent sound quality loss.
I think when I get this set up properly I will be transferring vinyl a lot more.

Brian

Skippy

#12 Post by Skippy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:38 pm

we (SDB) now use the Audigy 2 NX and we've been totally impressed with not only the sound quality increase but the nifty features it has on both the hardware and software side of things. Is has an audio cleaner specific for vinyl recording which is going to be handy. The only down side is I won't have any of my huge vinyl collection digitised for Lismore this year.

link

but that's a little off topic. I love using the Sony Mediasoftware products and can't recommend them highly enough. But I guess it comes down to budget. I've also used the free program AUDACITY. and for simple cutting and pasting and basic tweaks its pretty darn good.[/url]
http://www.swinggear.com.au

now selling authorised WWII posters and featuring a newly refined black t-shirt printing method. Now even greater quality than before.

Yakov

#13 Post by Yakov » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:20 am

one more vote for Audacity

Katie

#14 Post by Katie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:46 am

Can anyone suggest a good but cheap editing software?
If you need an economic software for audio editing purpose check this out FlexiMusic Wave Editor.

http://www.fleximusic.com/waveditor/overview.htm

Ron

#15 Post by Ron » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:43 pm

OK folks, I haven't posted for a while, but I'm in the market for a music editing program for the PC. And I thought the Swing DJs forum was a good place to ask. I was very happy with my Cool Edit Pro but it went away with my old PC. Its replacement, Adobe Audition, is $300+ and the new version of it apparently sucks.

My needs aren't fancy, so maybe Audacity will work for me, or one of the other ones mentioned in this thread. I'm not looking to do home studio recording, cleaning up vinyl songs, or such things. I just want to do minor edits to songs. I like good, clean user interfaces. Any current advice?