Music Editing Software

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

#16 Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:39 pm

Audacity is great for those minor edits. Zero crossings, fades, and a whole lot more for other purposes. I find it very easy to use. I did some editing with it tonight, in fact.

Ron

#17 Post by Ron » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:36 pm

I'm very happy with Audacity, thanks, all.

wspeid

#18 Post by wspeid » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:44 pm

I dropped about $30 for Blaze Media Pro's MP3 editor and its worked out very well for me. Definitely a lot more to it than I need.

The only real problem I have is the application automatically turns the output volume up to maximum levels when the application launches. Just about deafened me and gave me a heart attack at the same time the first few times I used it.

Bill

JohnDyer

#19 Post by JohnDyer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:01 am

So a little late to the game but I'm finally checking out Audacity. My question is, if I already have my files LAME encoded the way I like into MP3s, then want to do some simple clipping of intros/outtros, how do I do that without changing the quality of the MP3 file - it looks like Audacity re-exports as MP3 using LAME, but with just a simple bitrate control instead of say "alt-preset-standard" or "-v V1 vbr-new"
John Dyer, Denver CO

straycat

#20 Post by straycat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 am

JohnDyer wrote:So a little late to the game but I'm finally checking out Audacity. My question is, if I already have my files LAME encoded the way I like into MP3s, then want to do some simple clipping of intros/outtros, how do I do that without changing the quality of the MP3 file - it looks like Audacity re-exports as MP3 using LAME, but with just a simple bitrate control instead of say "alt-preset-standard" or "-v V1 vbr-new"
Which version are you using? I've just started playing with the latest beta (1.3.4?) - if you're in 1.2.6 (latest release version), iirc you can change mp3 export settings somewhere in the main application settings. If you're using the beta, you can change 'em using 'options' in the export dialog. I don't think you get an enormous amount of control over the options though.

(think so, anyway - I'm not in a position to check this at this moment, as I'm away from my Mac...)

Surreal

#21 Post by Surreal » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:32 pm

For simple cutting, I've been experimenting a little bit with this: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/

It doesn't decode anything (so it claims), so you shouldn't lose any audio quality.

straycat

#22 Post by straycat » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I can't find a mention of it on the forum.

I've started investigating a program called ClickRepair (Java-based, so for Mac & PC), and have been impressed enough to buy it. It's a little bit of a pain if you're chiefly MP3-based, as you need to convert to a non-compressed format to run it, but the results seem to be worth it.

A very telling test I tried was to give it a track with a lot of crackle, choose the 'decrackle' option - you can then choose, which it's working, to flip between listening to the input sound, the output sound, or the damage that's being removed. Very impressive results. I'll try their 'deNoise' one next, and see how that goes.

Haydn

#23 Post by Haydn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:07 pm

straycat wrote:I've started investigating a program called ClickRepair (Java-based, so for Mac & PC), and have been impressed enough to buy it. It's a little bit of a pain if you're chiefly MP3-based, as you need to convert to a non-compressed format to run it, but the results seem to be worth it.

A very telling test I tried was to give it a track with a lot of crackle, choose the 'decrackle' option - you can then choose, which it's working, to flip between listening to the input sound, the output sound, or the damage that's being removed. Very impressive results. I'll try their 'deNoise' one next, and see how that goes.
DeNoise looks very good. The manual and the 'before' and 'after' samples are impressive. As you say, it doesn't support the MP3 format, so would need a bit of thought and experimentating if that's your starting point.

wspeid

Audacity "Voice Logo"

#24 Post by wspeid » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:00 am

I just downloaded the AVS Audio editor off the Audacity site (audacity 1.2.6 installer) and am getting a message saying that I need to pay $59 to activate the software or it will add a "Voice Logo" to my edited files.

Am I looking at the right program? I'd heard this was free-ware

lipi

#25 Post by lipi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:31 pm

is this where you got it?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

audacity is freeware.

avs audio editor is a different tool that i've never used. i don't know where you got it, but not from the official audacity website, i think.