Monday Nights In LA: A Lindy Hop Revival

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Petitetonya

Monday Nights In LA: A Lindy Hop Revival

#1 Post by Petitetonya » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:38 am

A lindy hop & charleston venue is coming to LA...

Sugarfoot Stomp
Monday Nights
Starting October 4th

Located in the Pasadena area...

1927 venue with great hardwood floors
Full bar with cheap drinks (and a bartender named Turbo)
ALL AGES
House dj's: Reuben & Tonya
Air conditioning and fans
Free parking
and most important...SWING music

Brought to you by Sean, Tonya, Reuben and Audra

Enjoy

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:12 am

Sweet deal. With drinks? Even better.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Matthew

#3 Post by Matthew » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:44 pm

I'm very interested in hearing how this goes. Best of luck. Please give us updates.

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:18 pm

great name! Congrats on getting something new started down in LA, I'll have to check it out --- it sounds like a blast.

Matthew

#5 Post by Matthew » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:29 pm

How were the first couple weeks? Details, please!

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:48 pm

They were awesome. There was quite the demand for a place that featured original era music. The site is updated with pictures from the first night, though I'll be adding some more tonight as well as updating the schedule.

Jojo Jackson will be our guest DJ next week (something else I need to update on the site): http://www.sugarfootstomp.com
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:31 pm

Freakin' awesome.

Petitetonya

#8 Post by Petitetonya » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:34 pm

hey fellow dj's,

sorry I have been so late on replying...I have been so busy it isn't even funny.

The venue is so great...we have had so much support from the community and great feedback. The grand opening had a huge turnout and the numbers have been really good and consistent ever since (even with the rain storm we had this Monday).

JoJo did a great job djing this week and it is refreshing to hear how many people come up to me thanking us for bringing swing era music back to the LA scene. It is really fun. And it is great to also host a venue that plays ALL tempos of music, not just Medium/Slow and not just Fast.

Justin Zillman is going to be our next guest dj on Nov 1st and we are going to have an Election Dance that night where everyone dresses up in red/white and/or blue. It should be a lot of fun!

If any of our fellow dj's decide to come out, please send us feedback at heyyouguys@sugarfootstomp.com

Shorty Dave

#9 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:07 am

Hey, congrats on starting a new dance!
Petitetonya wrote:The grand opening had a huge turnout and the numbers have been really good and consistent ever since (even with the rain storm we had this Monday).
There's been a lot of talk in NYC lately about new dances, and (my admittedly limited) perception of LA is that it's not too different from NYC in that there's one big weekly dance (Frim Fram / LindyGroove) that everyone goes to, plus a handful of other smaller dances that don't get nearly the same turnout. Just curious, what would you estimate your numbers were? I have no clue what "huge turnout" means for LA. Also, have you noticed a decrease in attendance at LindyGroove, or has LindyGroove been the same *and* dancers are also dancing at Sugarfoot Stomp?

mousethief

#10 Post by mousethief » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:13 am

I would say they're starting to pull from Lindygroove, if my one time there was any indication. It seemed a lot of more traditional dancers were there because they had no where else to go.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:10 am

There were roughly 120 people on opening night. That's a "huge turnout" considering 1. our format of mostly older music 2. we weren't expecting those numbers 3. we only need about 50 people for the place to feel jumpin' and 4. it's Monday night.

I don't really think we're pulling away from LindyGroove as much as were pulling out dancers who weren't going out as much since LindyGroove, for a while, was the only dance around. The "traditional" dancers who also go to LindyGroove are your dance whores, "dance anywhere to anything." In other words, while they may prefer the music we play, they're still going to go to LindyGroove cause they just plain wanna dance.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mousethief

#12 Post by mousethief » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:45 am

120 people is a kickass number. I'm glad to see it working out.

What's with the HALO tourney?

Kalman

Mr Awesomer

#13 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:04 am

mousethief wrote:What's with the HALO tourney?
It's a secret ploy to get more leads for the ladies.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Shorty Dave

#14 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:37 am

120? That's freakin awesome! Congrats. Has it sustained at that number since it started? Getting bigger?

That's great to hear you're appealing to a crowd that wasn't going out dancing at all (or very little) 'cuz of specific music preferences.

Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I think it's really cool that LA will have a LindyGroove and a Sugarfoot Stomp. I wish NYC could sustain two weekly dances with over 100 people each week.

mousethief

#15 Post by mousethief » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:00 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
mousethief wrote:What's with the HALO tourney?
It's a secret ploy to get more leads for the ladies.
It's a shame that that might work.

Kalman