The Y6A Lineup Announced!

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#61 Post by djstarr » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:36 pm

Rueben, you aren't going either? What are we going to do without our three moderators? Good thing we will be too busy dancing and having fun to be on-line!

Shorty Dave

#62 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:34 am

This isn't just a discussion panel anymore, but yet another *historical* moment for the Basie Centennial Ball weekend. Just like the Great Day in Lindy photo before it and the ball itself after it, the panel discussion Remembering Basie is now something very special...something for the ages.

Joining the panel are two very important people to Count Basie: Albert Murray, the person who knows more about Mr. Basie than anyone else alive, and Aaron Woodward, the person who was probably closer to Mr. Basie than anyone else alive

Albert Murray wrote Basie's autobiography, Good Morning Blues. He's also written numerous jazz and African American issues books, including Stomping the Blues, one of the most popular books about jazz/blues music. Aaron Woodward is Mr. Basie's adopted son. And he's currently the CEO of Count Basie Enterprises, which runs the Basie Orchestra.

Joining them in this all-star panel line-up are Benny Powell, Frank Foster, Clark Terry (three musicians who played with the Count), Phil Schaap (radio DJ, historian), and Frankie Manning. We are very fortunate - and priveleged - to have all these panelists share their memories and join us in celebrating Mr. Basie.

Remembering Basie is FREE for everyone, and will take place on 10/9 at 6:30pm in Alfred Lerner Hall, immediately before the Basie Centennial Ball. See you all there!

For more information about the panel and the entire weekend, visit www.Basie100.com

main_stem

#63 Post by main_stem » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:52 am

Dave,

This event just keeps getting better and better. To bad I can't make it.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

(geek)

#64 Post by (geek) » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:18 am

indeed, i will be there!

it just won't be the same scrounging the bargain bins without Rayned and Jesse, though. =(

LindyChef

#65 Post by LindyChef » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:42 am

Perhaps we could make a video of the discussion for the people that won't be there?

mousethief

#66 Post by mousethief » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:04 am

Best event in modern history.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

wheato

#67 Post by wheato » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:02 pm

Add me to the mix. Flying in Saturday afternoon, out Monday evening. Look forward to meeting many of you.

Shorty Dave

#68 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:08 pm

We're up to 30 now!!!

1. Shorty Dave
2. Wexie
3. Tomo
4. Alligator
5. Spuds
6. Greg Avakian
7. Roy
8. Mousethief
9. DJStarr
10. NateDogg
11. Serg
12. Swifty
13. ShanaBanana
14. Gatorgal
15. Larry
16. Stan
17. Ryan
18. Abdel
19. LindyChef
20. Szarka
21. BigCash
22. RaleighRob
23. Zev
24. Mike
25. Poke Alex
26. kbuxton
27. Falty411
28. 12bars
29. (geek)
30. wheato

mark0tz

#69 Post by mark0tz » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:57 pm

i r going. Looking forward to DJing the blues party Sunday night, too.
Mike Marcotte

djstarr

#70 Post by djstarr » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:53 pm

mark0tz wrote:i r going. Looking forward to DJing the blues party Sunday night, too.
cool - I heard you were going to dj the blues party. I really enjoyed what you played in the blues room at the DC exchange - looking forward to it!

And rumour has it Julius will be at the event also, although since he's gone fairly quiet on here I don't know if we get to list him still ;-)

JesseMiner

#71 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:29 pm

Patrick Poon is working with the organizers of the Basie Centenial to offer an embossed CD holder to commemorate the event. He wants the DJs to get first shot at this offer before it is advertised publically (in Pat's words "because there is such a limited quantity and I believe that the DJ’s do a lot of good stuff for the community that often goes un-noticed"):

With the Basie Cententially happening this year, there is going to be an *EXTREMELY* limited run of special CD holders featuring the Basie Centennial Logo. There is going to be less than 20 available for sale. This is a 48 CD holder made with simulated leather (this was picked rather than real leather especially for the Vegans/Vegetarians). It will have the Basie logo embossed (pressed) into the front of the CD case. The price for the CD holder is $25.

If you are interested and would like to reserve one before they are made available to the public, please have them send Pat Poon an email at pcpoon@hotmail.com. You can pay for it and pick it up in NY at the Tshirt booth. For those that will not be traveling to NY, a CD holder can be held and shipped for a minimal fee.

Logo:

Case:

Drop Pat a line and order one of these right away if you want one. I'm sure they will go fast.

Jesse

mousethief

#72 Post by mousethief » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:34 am

*snag*

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#73 Post by mousethief » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:35 am

One...day...

Kalman

Shorty Dave

#74 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:50 pm

In one week, I spent four hours at Albert Murray's home listening to Basie records, had a three hour dinner with Frank Foster, and spoke with Basie's son Aaron, Clark Terry, Benny Powell, Junior Mance, George Wein, and Nat Hentoff.

I can die now.

See you all soon!!!

mark0tz

#75 Post by mark0tz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:49 pm

You'll have to write something up about it... publish it on Yehoodi or something. *jealous*
Mike Marcotte