The Y6A Lineup Announced!

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#16 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:07 pm

Man, it's either this or NYLHO. Congrats Dave, me and Jen are a-coming for this one.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Shorty Dave

#17 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri May 14, 2004 10:07 am

Kalman, if you're definitely coming, save $14 per ticket and take advantage of our special "Early Bird Discount"

And everyone check out the site, www.basie100.com; It's quite impressive...yay Manu!

Shorty Dave

#18 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:42 pm

For those who haven't heard yet, Jelly Roll Productions will be hosting a special Fri night dance the night before The Basie Centennial Ball featuring, you guessed it, Harlem Renaissance Orchestra!

Also, you all will probably dig this: there's going to be a panel discussion called "Remembering Basie" immediately before the Sat night ball featuring Frank Foster, Benny Powell, Phil Schaap and a couple others we'll announce later. Jazz historian Robert O'Meally is the "host", and Paul Overton will be the moderator.

More announcements (and there will be more) as they trickle in :)

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:35 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Kalman, if you're definitely coming, save $14 per ticket and take advantage of our special "Early Bird Discount"

And everyone check out the site, www.basie100.com; It's quite impressive...yay Manu!
Gotta cover those up-front costs, eh? I'll do it after I get back from LA and can re-check my travel schedule.

And it's an $18.00 savings - even better.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Shorty Dave

#20 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:36 pm

Just wanted to update you all on what's going on with the big Basie weekend!

I'm still sticking to my guns that this could be the greatest night - and greatest weekend - of dancing to live music for dancers of our generation. And for anyone who likes Basie, his spirit will be everywhere all weekend long. This weekend is first and foremost a celebration of The Count.

It seems like many people are realizing this might be their only opportunity ever to dance to some of these legends, like Clark Terry, who's almost completely blind, and Irene Reid, who, bless her heart, has had 3 heart attacks. For this reason, it seems like not only will we get more attendees than any previous Yehoodi Anniversary party (obviously), but that many fellow jazz geeks will especially be on hand. How exciting it's going to be to celebrate someone we all love with other people who love him to :)

And I don't know how much this stuff means to you, but tons of other jazz cats will be in attendance just to hang out and celebrate Basie with us, as well as a bunch of old time Savoy dancers and Harvest Moon Ball competitors, historian Phil Schaap, historian Robert O'Meally, Eddie Durham's daughter, WC Handy's grandaughter, Roy Eldrige's Daughter, and many other members of the larger jazz community here in NYC. Through Basie, we really are re-uniting the music with the dance just like it was "back in the day".

There's still *more* up our sleeves, but for the moment:

-Fri Night: Live Music: Harlem Renaissance Orchestra
-Fri Afterhours: DJed Music
-Sat 6:30: Special Panel Discussion "Remembering Basie" with Basie alumni and other jazz and dance experts
-Sat Night: Live Music: The Basie Centennial Ball (Frank Foster's big band plus all those other Basie band alumni and other jazz cats)
-Sun afternoon: Live Music: J Walter Hawkes Trio
-Sun night: Live Music: Special tribute to Basie by tons of local NY swing band musicians
-Sun late night: Because Mon is a holiday, the local jazz church, St. Peter's has their annual all night long jazz jam until 5am in the morning, so for those who didn't get enough jazz can head there after the Sun night dance (no dancing...at least I don't think so...)

Of course, www.Basie100.com has all the info. Also, for a more detailed description of the Fri and Sun bands, which you guys might be interested in, check out www.jellyrollproductions.org

Hope to see you all soon!!! :)

djstarr

#21 Post by djstarr » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:16 pm

oh yeah, I'm there. Just found airfare RT on Continental for $216.70 - can't beat that from Seattle.

Serg

#22 Post by Serg » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:05 pm

Dave, Izzy and I will be there and we might bring Sugar Sullivan along. For those who don't know her: Sugar won the Harverst Moon Ball in the early 50's. She can be seem at the "Spirit Moves" dancing Blues and Lindy. She was the last partner of Al Minns. She is still kicking ass, dancing and teaching (with Peter Loggins) at age 75! NYC Lindy Legend now leaving in South Florida. A nice lady and a friend.

Rock on Basie...

Serg

Nate Dogg

#23 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:47 pm

I will be there, bought my plane ticket a month or so ago.

gatorgal

#24 Post by gatorgal » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:56 am

Count me in as well!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Roy

#25 Post by Roy » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:41 pm

I am in also. Yippee.

Roy

#26 Post by Roy » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:42 pm

I saw this group last night at the Chicago Jazz festival:

“Celebrating Count Basie's 100th Birthday” with the New Kansas City 7 featuring: Clark Terry, Frank Wess, Buddy DeFranco, Frank Foster, Benny Powell, Harold Jones, Buddy Catlett and George Caldwell

They are all Count Basie alums. These guys kicked butt. Is Buddy Defranco playing at Y6A also? he sounded great playing swing style with his clarient. He's normally a be-bop artist.

Irene Reid who is also sceduled for Y6A also played at the Chicago Jazz festival. She brings it, One of the best singers I have ever heard live. I look more forward to hearing here then Barara Morrison.
Last edited by Roy on Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zot

#27 Post by Zot » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:06 pm

Unbelievable. You guys are so lucky to have this talent still around and in your own country. Wish I could go to Y6A too.
"Take the worst of neo-swing and put it together with Glen Miller. The man thinks the Count is someone from a horror flick. Take pity on him and let him play two or three tunes. But be sure you have some errands to run." -- Bill Borgida

djstarr

#28 Post by djstarr » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:46 pm

Roy wrote:I saw this group last night at the Chicago Jazz festival:

“Celebrating Count Basie's 100th Birthday” with the New Kansas City 7 featuring: Clark Terry, Frank Wess, Buddy DeFranco, Frank Foster, Benny Powell, Harold Jones, Buddy Catlett and George Caldwell
guess that explains where Buddy's (Catlett) been - we missed him last week at his regular gig in Seattle.

Looking forward to meeting everybody in NYC.

Serg

#29 Post by Serg » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Any plans for a SwingDjs members meeting in NY? CD shopping spree anyone?

Serg

Nate Dogg

#30 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:48 pm

Yeah Dave, so many of us will be there, there ought to be something.