Hide the sheep, I'm coming to Texas!

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

#16 Post by julius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:47 pm

mousethief wrote: Not true, you big fibber. They hired a WWOZ DJ for Sunday night.

Kalman
was that music? i thought it was a windshield wiper.

heh heh heh. actually i had a lot of fun dancing to it. i discovered i can take a whole evening of R&B/jump blues if i anesthetized myself with 48 solid hours of jazz and blues...

:)

julius

#17 Post by julius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:52 pm

I kind of see Reuben's point myself. Even if the forum is meant for DJs, and the assumed targets of every post is DJs, I think clearly that is not true. What does an incredible upcoming big band in New York have to do with DJing? What about Lindy Gras?

I think this forum really is for people who LOVE MUSIC, primarily swing. Certainly I wasn't a DJ before I began reading and posting.

So "Upcoming Events" should really, in my opinion, be about things involving awesome music.

julius

#18 Post by julius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:54 pm

Maybe "DJ Skillz" should be where DJs bump heads, whether in person or online, since swordfighting is certainly a skill to hone. heh heh heh.

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:01 pm

I can fence a little bit. Been thinking about going to Houston to learn cut-and-thrust technique.

heh heh heh

Kalman

Nate Dogg

#20 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:20 pm

julius wrote:I kind of see Reuben's point myself. Even if the forum is meant for DJs, and the assumed targets of every post is DJs, I think clearly that is not true. What does an incredible upcoming big band in New York have to do with DJing? What about Lindy Gras?

I think this forum really is for people who LOVE MUSIC, primarily swing. Certainly I wasn't a DJ before I began reading and posting.

So "Upcoming Events" should really, in my opinion, be about things involving awesome music.
How do define awesome music? Just about any event with a DJ on this Board will have some sort of awesome music?

I think another category would be fine. A Roaming DJ Folder or something. Greg coming to Austin next week does not constitute an upcoming event in the sense that Exchanges, workshops, and major dances are. But, as the site continues to add members, more DJs will need a place to facilitate meetings with each other.

I found Greg's post useful and I found a lot of the Lindy Gras discussion to be interesting. In general, when other DJs talk about music, events, their experiences at events, it interests me, even if I disagree. I also don't mind people hyping their upcoming events. In fact, I think that doing so is awesome. No crime in promoting stuff.

Actually, I think things are going pretty well on this forum. Increasing the censorship levels may do more harm then good. Very few posters are on this board are noise free all the time. Maybe a certain level of noise keeps the forum fun and active. That does not mean we have to be Yehoodi, but a little bit of noise is natural and not necessarily bad.

The noise in Greg’s post was the sheep commentary and the joke responses that followed. Shortly thereafter, this thread veered off on a tangent. But, we are still having a meaningful discussion that is relevant to the overall group. One our moderators had an issue, some agreed with him, others of us did not.

Nathan

gatorgal

#21 Post by gatorgal » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:32 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Jesus people, I'm making some simple suggestions and you're acting like I just called your mothers whores. Touchie touchie!
Please don't call my mother a whore. That's what I'm here for.

Very bad joke, but I couldn't resist.

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#22 Post by gatorgal » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:41 pm

julius wrote:I kind of see Reuben's point myself. Even if the forum is meant for DJs, and the assumed targets of every post is DJs, I think clearly that is not true. What does an incredible upcoming big band in New York have to do with DJing? What about Lindy Gras?

And to continue the serious conversation...

Julius makes a good point... it's nice to see the other DJs promote their own events, whether it features live music or DJs. In some cases, I've actually been exposed to events I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for the postings.

So I hope it doesn't go away, but if you must, you must. You guys actually do a good job of moderating anyway... no complaints here.

Tina 8)

yedancer

#23 Post by yedancer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:17 pm

What I personally don't like is to see advertisements for exchanges and other events here. There are other places for that. This board is theoretically a private discussion, since non-swing-DJs are not supposed to be members. At least, that's what I remember the user agreement saying. The only reason I see why people should promote big events here would be if they were asking for DJs to "work" at said event.

However, I do think it would be appropriate for DJs her to let other DJs know when they are traveling to other areas.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

funkyfreak

#24 Post by funkyfreak » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:07 pm

yedancer wrote:What I personally don't like is to see advertisements for exchanges and other events here. There are other places for that. This board is theoretically a private discussion, since non-swing-DJs are not supposed to be members. At least, that's what I remember the user agreement saying. The only reason I see why people should promote big events here would be if they were asking for DJs to "work" at said event.

However, I do think it would be appropriate for DJs her to let other DJs know when they are traveling to other areas.
I never really thought about it until your post -- I also rarely read this part of the forums, and it's because it's just advertisements for events I can get on any other forum.

For what it's worth I'd put in a vote for letting this section discuss events music or whatever-have-you, visiting Djs, yadda yadda; but not general event announcements like we get everywhere else.

Then again, I don't really care, I don't have to read it *shrug*

-FF

Nate Dogg

#25 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:09 am

funkyfreak wrote:
Then again, I don't really care, I don't have to read it *shrug*

-FF
Exactly, if upcoming events is not an interest to a particular member, they don't have to read the thread.

Besides, the description in the forum for Upcoming Events states the following:
"What's happening?"
That is pretty broad. It does not say anything more.

I have worked in Marketing for years. I just don't have the "it is not cool to promote stuff" mindset that some folks to. I think it is awesome when people let me know about upcoming cool events via this forum. I see a lot of good that comes from it.

How many people want to go to Lindy Gras 2005 as a result of all the comments about last week's Exchange on this board? Plenty of you do.

Nathan

yedancer

#26 Post by yedancer » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:53 am

I don't get mad, I just think it's dumb. Everyone on this board is pretty well connected to the national lindy scene, and it just seems like a waste of time to promote here. I mean, if you have to hear about big exchanges HERE, then you must be really out of touch. Of course, I could be wrong about this. Which begs the question:

Does anyone here actually get news about events from this board?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

mousethief

#27 Post by mousethief » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:30 am

Yeah, kinda. Having to sift through reams of sex-crazed Yehoodi posts to get set lists, DJ comments or organizational feedback is not what I want.

I like being able to read about the ALX bands or after-hours sets without calling around the country to take a census.

So Greg posted he was going to Austin. Big whoop. It's not like he posts all the time or is some kind of BBS abuser.

Kalman

gatorgal

#28 Post by gatorgal » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:37 am

yedancer wrote:Which begs the question:

Does anyone here actually get news about events from this board?
I didn't really phrase myself well, but it's not like I'm hearing of certain events for the first time (but in same cases I am) but you definitely get more info on bands, music and DJs that you would on Yehoodi or any area board.

That's why I think it would be nice to keep it around.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

wheresmygravy

#29 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:37 am

yedancer wrote: Does anyone here actually get news about events from this board?
Yeah I hear a rumor there is gonna be some amazingly awesome band at Y6A. :roll:

Shorty Dave

#30 Post by Shorty Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:13 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
yedancer wrote: Does anyone here actually get news about events from this board?
Yeah I hear a rumor there is gonna be some amazingly awesome band at Y6A. :roll:
It's funny...I was actually more excited to announce Ray Bryant Trio here than on Yehoodi. Same with Y6A when we do officially spill all the beans. 'Cuz you guys would especially appreciate the musicians (come on, how many regular dancers actually know who Ray Bryant is?). I think this is a great forum to discuss *any* kind of event that's related to music. Hell, doesn't even have to be a swing dance. As a swing DJ, I would still be very happy if someone else posted info about, say, a great jazz fest (even if there was no dancing there).