Great Southwest Lindyfest

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Drew

#16 Post by Drew » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:17 am

I submitted a query, I'd like to spin a little. Looks like since I am working back in my field and on a Southwest hub I am going to be able to bankroll this one.

Platypus

#17 Post by Platypus » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:35 am

I spoke with Leah (TackieAnnie) last night. The organizing committee is still working on the possibility of live music, which will affect how many time slots are available......ergo how many additional DJs can be added to the roster.

As of last night, there were three TX DJs confirmed:
George White (sonofvu)
Leah Ekstrom (tackieannie)
Kristina Arscott (Platypus)

falty411

#18 Post by falty411 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:25 pm

Ill happily give up any amount of DJ slots if it is replaced by good live music!!! I hope it works out!!!
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:05 pm

falty411 wrote:I know its not my event or yours, but wouldnt it be better to drop the pop, lock and breakin couple so you could have live music?

I guess im slow and somethings dont make sense to me.
Naw, people love them. They're the best draw in their performances.

Besides, the band H-town had for their exchange was bloody awful. Sometimes that happens, but you don't hire the band twice.

Kalman

CafeSavoy

#20 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:22 pm

falty411 wrote:I know its not my event or yours, but wouldnt it be better to drop the pop, lock and breakin couple so you could have live music?

I guess im slow and somethings dont make sense to me.
are you planning on going to the event? is that why you are so concerned about the line-up? Or is this just some ideological position? The pop and lock couple were also one of the highlights at the Harlem Jazz Festival.

falty411

#21 Post by falty411 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:58 pm

Did you not notice my name on the DJ list Rayned?

Thats all fine and dandy that Kwikstep and Rockfella were a highlight blah blah blah. Im sorry that I feel live music is more important to lindy hop than a lock, pop couple. I guess I misunderstood when it is called Great Southwest Lindyfest.

Are you saying live music isnt important when it comes to Lindy Hop?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swifty

#22 Post by Swifty » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:32 pm

You know Mike, sometimes I wonder when you ever find time to dance.

Do you ever get down from that soapbox?

In light of your observations I propose that they change the name of their event to the Great Southwest Yet-another-chance-to-bunch-Mike's-panties-fest.
Last edited by Swifty on Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Swifty

#23 Post by Swifty » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:36 pm

PS: Yes, people from Austin, I see the possible irony in the fact that I'm making the above post.

Lawrence

#24 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:54 pm

Swifty wrote:PS: Yes, people from Austin, I see the possible irony in the fact that I'm making the above post.
I don't see any irony in the fact that you're in the middle between two extremes and are turned off by the dogmatism on either extreme.

And, yes... I, too, see the "possible irony" in my making that acknowledgment. :wink:
Last edited by Lawrence on Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#25 Post by falty411 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:54 pm

im sure i dance more often than most people who post on this or any other forum.

and are you poping in to disagree with me? would you care to actually share your personal opinion (something of actual substance) or are you only limited to posting quips now?
-mikey faltesek

falty411

#26 Post by falty411 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:56 pm

Lawrence wrote:I don't see any irony in the fact that you're in the middle between two extremes and are turned off by the dogmatism on either extreme.
i fail to see how thinking live music would be cooler at a lindy event than having a hip hop couple is an extreme view?
-mikey faltesek

CafeSavoy

#27 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:00 pm

falty411 wrote:Did you not notice my name on the DJ list Rayned?
nope. i didn't. pardon.
falty411 wrote: Thats all fine and dandy that Kwikstep and Rockfella were a highlight blah blah blah. Im sorry that I feel live music is more important to lindy hop than a lock, pop couple. I guess I misunderstood when it is called Great Southwest Lindyfest.
If the hip hop couples weren't on the roster, would you offer up another couple to axe in order to get live music?
falty411 wrote: Are you saying live music isnt important when it comes to Lindy Hop?
live music is an important component, just as is competent instruction.
one can argue whether a narrow view of instruction is better than a
broader view, but i don't think anyone can argue definitively for either
perspective. lindy hop has always borrowed from the vernacular dances
of the time, and hip hop is certainly that. one could argue that a jazz
instructor like chester whitmore might be a better choice, but others might
argue that just like in sports cross training has its benefits too.

also, houston has regularly gone out of its way to have live music
including getting talent from other cities. if they feel they want to
experiment with different configurations of options it is certainly their
right. if you feel so strongly about their choice, you can always exercise
the choice not to attend.

falty411

#28 Post by falty411 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:06 pm

No one is questioning K&R as good instructors and great performers. And if the organizers want to "try" something different (its the same thing as last year) by having a hip hop couple instead of live music, thats their decision and I by no means think its a damning one.

I just feel that the students and dancers in the scene would learn more about lindy hop by social dancing to a good live swing band than by taking pop/lock lessons. Thats my opinion.

I am going to the event because I have been invited and because I really like the people in Houston (Leah, Tina, Danielle, Steph, Austin, Alex).

I have offered up my slots to be replaced by live music if its needed.
Last edited by falty411 on Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-mikey faltesek

Mr Awesomer

#29 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:07 pm

Let's ask the question in another way.

What is more important to the Lindy Hop scene?

a) Hip Hop Instructors
b) Live Jazz

Including either in a Lindy Hop event is not an "extreme" stand point by any means, but, again, what is more important to Lindy Hop?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#30 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:24 pm

Mikey:

It was never stated by any of the organizers that there was a K&R (or any other teacher for the matter) versus live music decision. It is somewhat silly to keep debating it.

K&R are coming back, most people either favor it or don't seem to mind them teaching again.

There are a lot of reasons financial and logisitical issues dealing with the live music. I won't go into them here, it is not my place since I am not on the Committee. Lindyfest and HSDS has brought in national recording acts in the past (George Gee, David Fathead Newman) at great expense.

For all the expenses and risks they are taking, it bothers me that one of the event DJs continues to second guess the organizers in a public forum. You could have emailed any number of your friends and had your questions answered privately. But, you did not go that route.