I'm just gonna hafta hurt you. :)

Tina 8)

mousethief

#77 Post by mousethief » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:12 am

I edited you out of the original quote.

See?

Now gimme a cookie.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

TexasToast

#78 Post by TexasToast » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:30 pm

Just in case you wanted to know...

Just in...
schedule is posted:

http://lindyfest.hsds.org/schedule.php

Also, you should register before the early registration deadline of Feb. 21st! Save yourself some money!

There is housing available for workshop registrants and the hotel DOES have rooms. Just called today and got another block!!!

Tena

Platypus

#79 Post by Platypus » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:46 pm

If any of y'all are coming early to lindyfest, I have some DJ slots available at our monthly Tuesday night swing dance at Numbers Night Club (March 16th). PM me if interested.

This is a volunteer gig, so "payment" will be a free dinner and a locally-made swing t-shirt.

Thanks,
Kristina

mousethief

#80 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:55 pm

I AM SO THERE.

Not the DJ gig, though. I'll be there on Friday.

Kalman

sonofvu

#81 Post by sonofvu » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:45 pm

Platypus wrote:If any of y'all are coming early to lindyfest, I have some DJ slots available at our monthly Tuesday night swing dance at Numbers Night Club (March 16th). PM me if interested.

This is a volunteer gig, so "payment" will be a free dinner and a locally-made swing t-shirt.

Thanks,
Kristina
By "locally made" do you mean a white t-shirt and black magic marker?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Platypus

#82 Post by Platypus » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:44 pm

I might make up one of those especially for you. :twisted:

I guess you and I never did talk about how my secret identity. When the mood strikes, I silk-screen shirts on my dining room table. Did you ever wonder where the "All Gal Bal" shirts came from? Or the limited-edition Jesse Miner DJ tour t-shirts?

SirScratchAlot

RECOVERY...LOL

#83 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:03 pm

WOW, what an incredible weekend. I cant remember the last time so much stuff happened over an event !!! instruction,dance,contest,performances,2 presentations,movie clips,in 2 rooms with lots of good people.

The Music kicked butt, as did the Dancing!!!

and personally, I think Kwik and Rok should do alot more "Lindy Hop" camps, if not for physcal aspects of dance to learn about the mental. Amazing....

Its an amazing event, i was happy to be a tiny part, organization is not easy on something this elaborate and this size yet it seemd flawless.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Nate Dogg

#84 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:04 am

For all the whining about the lack of live bands earlier in this thread, Houston did manage to round up Huey Long for yet another GSWLF appearance. I guess if you can't have live music, bringing in one of the few remaining players from the era as a VIP is the next best thing.

He was a member of the Ink Spots in the 40s who also played with Fletcher Henderson, Johnny Long', Earl Hines, Billy Eckstine, Sarah Vaughan, Charlie Parker, and Dizzy Gillespie.

http://www.inkspots.ca/HUEY-LONG-PROCTOR.htm

He is going to have his 100th birthday party in downtown Houston in about a month.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mousethief

Re: RECOVERY...LOL

#85 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:33 am

SirScratchAlot wrote: and personally, I think Kwik and Rok should do alot more "Lindy Hop" camps, if not for physcal aspects of dance to learn about the mental. Amazing....
Word. Kwik talking about competition drilled right into me. We're going to rev up the competitions back in Dallas.
Its an amazing event, i was happy to be a tiny part, organization is not easy on something this elaborate and this size yet it seemd flawless.
Hell, you taught my favorite class and you taught it in a way that made me take another look at how we teach locally.

Thanks again.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#86 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:00 am

GuruReuben wrote:Let's ask the question in another way.

What is more important to the Lindy Hop scene?

a) Hip Hop Instructors
b) Live Jazz

Including either in a Lindy Hop event is not an "extreme" stand point by any means, but, again, what is more important to Lindy Hop?
Kwik and Rok had, by far, the most energizing performances of the event. Even more importantly, they are attuned to aspects of Lindy culture that many swing dancers have forgotten. In many ways, I got more of a sense of Lindy Hop from Kwik and Rok than I did from the swing instructors.

Kalman

mousethief

#87 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:01 am

Other than Frankie, of course.

Kalman

Mr Awesomer

#88 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:34 am

mousethief wrote:In many ways, I got more of a sense of Lindy Hop from Kwik and Rok than I did from the swing instructors.
ouch
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#89 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:36 am

Let's not forget the Saturday night soul room. Unlike last year, where it was underpopulated most of the time, it pretty much was the dominant room for a few hours on Saturday night. Djed by Peter Strom.

All in all, there was a lot of non-traditional stuff out there. You could focus on the classic and traditional 100% most of the time if that was your inclination. Or, if you wanted something different, there was always an alternative.

mousethief

#90 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:00 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
mousethief wrote:In many ways, I got more of a sense of Lindy Hop from Kwik and Rok than I did from the swing instructors.
ouch
That's not a dig on the swing instructors - Peter Loggins taught my favorite class - but Kwik and Rok talked more about competition and the necessity of it. We've talked a lot on various boards about losing the energy of Lindy and how musicality does not translate into creativity. In fact, we've talked so much about it that it has become old hat and it took an outsider (but a descendant) to show me how vital these things are.

So, I'm going to do something about it. Frankie has kept me dancing for 6 years, Steven has helped me progress and Ryan has pushed me to help revitalize my scene. And I have. But Kwik made me realize that I share a culture and I have a responsibility to that culture. So I'm going bring back some degree of competition to Dallas. It's been missing for years.

Kwik and Rok are out to keep something alive and if they're taking inspiration from us, I can take inspiration from them.

Kalman