Great Southwest Lindyfest

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Platypus

#121 Post by Platypus » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:06 pm

And, honestly, if people were not happy with the competition music I chose at GSWLF, please encourage them to contact me privately, not just on the forum. The goal is to become a better DJ.

kbuxton

#122 Post by kbuxton » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:27 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:I think they should make everyone dance to the same song, and it should be off of Steven Mitchell's CD, and it should be his Jitterbug Stroll song.
Would you then judge them based on who best displayed their pain?

Swifty

#123 Post by Swifty » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Platypus wrote:Given the time lapse, I might not be able to fully recreate the songs I chose, but I know I included Basie, Ellington, Andy Kirk, Erskine Hawkins, JImmie Lunceford, Artie Shaw, and the like
I suspected I'd be told as much. I don't know why, but for some reason I got the impression that this poster was equating bad music with music that wasn't his/her personal preference.

mousethief

#124 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:49 am

KevinSchaper wrote:I heard one competitor whining about his song, and I thought he oughta blame himself for not having the range to work with it rather than blaming the song (and dj by extension)..

I think they should make everyone dance to the same song, and it should be off of Steven Mitchell's CD, and it should be his Jitterbug Stroll song.
I hesitate to bring this up but the "competitor" was not the only person who mentioned the music. Some people were very vocal and one of them was not exactly a newcomer to performance dancing. I think ALHC should be more precise in what is acceptable for regionals and not leave DJs floundering for lack of information. There should be more structure.

I didn't really take note of the music as much as others, so I can't even remember what was played. That's something I do pay more attention to know.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."