New Orleans Jazz Fest (Lindy Gras Thread renamed)

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Message
Author
BigCash
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

New Orleans Jazz Fest (Lindy Gras Thread renamed)

#1 Post by BigCash » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:39 am

Just noticed there was no post re: Lindy Gras in New Orleans.

The DJing will be limited due to the fact we'll have 5 bands this year.
:)

www.LindyGras.com
February 5-8, 2004
New Orleans, LA
Last edited by BigCash on Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

User avatar
Mr Awesomer
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:21 pm
Location: Altadena, CA
Contact:

Re: Lindy Gras

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:58 am

BigCash wrote: The DJing will be limited due to the fact we'll have 5 bands this year.
:)
Excellent. In a perfect world, you would need no DJs for an exchange... just band after band after band. New Orleans is probably as close as you can get to said perfect world.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

User avatar
mark0tz
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Contact:

#3 Post by mark0tz » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:56 am

No shit reuben. "New Orleans is probably as close as you can get to said perfect world." The music there blew me away. The talent, the energy... so far above my high expectations. Thursday night, 2nd stop of the pub crawl for my friends, and there was a 4 piece band w/ a guy playing stride piano making it look easy upwards of 300bpm, a guy playing drums that kept everything in check and cooking, a clarient player blistering through solos and call and response with this guy playing cornet who filled the whole place up when he wanted to. My pals and I kept looking at each other every fifteen minutes or so as we entered a new level of being blown away. And this place was just a block away from Preservation Hall... don't even get me started about them.

Fact is, most happy hours, most nights out of week at most times of the day or night you can find live music that is on a whole 'nother plane than what's available to 99% of the country.

Oh, and the Music Factory there... uhh, $200 poorer. Some great stuff. I'll post it to last 10. Guys there knew their shit, too.
Last edited by mark0tz on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Marcotte

User avatar
falty411
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:22 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Lindy Gras

#4 Post by falty411 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:26 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
BigCash wrote: The DJing will be limited due to the fact we'll have 5 bands this year.
:)
Excellent. In a perfect world, you would need no DJs for an exchange... just band after band after band. New Orleans is probably as close as you can get to said perfect world.
Dont let most of the DJs on this list here you say that! They will feel threatened.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: dfw - a wretched hive of scum & villainy

#5 Post by mousethief » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:47 am

Hell, I DJed New Orleans.

Rawk on, best event ever.

Kalman

mousethief
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: dfw - a wretched hive of scum & villainy

#6 Post by mousethief » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:21 am

And before someone points it out, the only reason I didn't play any true classic swing at afterhours is because we couldn't preview, which left out some of the Bechet and Armstrong pieces I was gunning for.

Still, Red Hot Pepper at 0400 was fun. Hats off to Matt "Moo Cow" Jones for his set, yo.

Kalman

User avatar
Lawrence
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:08 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

#7 Post by Lawrence » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:02 pm

mousethief wrote:And before someone points it out, the only reason I didn't play any true classic swing at afterhours is because we couldn't preview, which left out some of the Bechet and Armstrong pieces I was gunning for.

Kalman
Yeah, right, we all know the REAL reason is just that I wasn't able to make it there, so you didn't feel the urge to prove me wrong. :-)

I really wish I could have made it. Sounds like I missed out. :cry:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

julius
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:30 am
Location: los angeles

#8 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:03 pm

stunning music. literally. i was paralyzed at times except for my tapping foot. it was like a blow to the head. i wish every swing DJ in the nation could have attended this event to see what they are a pale imitation of. and that's not casting aspersions on DJs, that's just indicative of how forceful the live jazz/blues is.

julius
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:30 am
Location: los angeles

#9 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:07 pm

walking around the french quarter i asked casey "so what's your scene like?" she said "well, we don't have many dancers, but we usually figure out a joint to hit and then we go dance." i said "you don't have a weekly DJed venue?" and she said "not really. there isn't a need" or something like that.

*sobs*

User avatar
mark0tz
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Contact:

#10 Post by mark0tz » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:49 pm

julius why are you echoing my every thought about this exchange on every board i see you post. i keep saying "the music!" to my friends back here, and they just stare blankly back at me like, "ok i heard you the first time." They just don't and won't get it... until they go themselves.
Mike Marcotte

julius
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:30 am
Location: los angeles

#11 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:58 pm

we were zapped with mind control lasers. now we must obey the great jazz god of new orleans.

User avatar
Travis
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:38 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

#12 Post by Travis » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:07 am

You're all bastards.

Anyone know what it's like there on a non-event weekend?

mousethief
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: dfw - a wretched hive of scum & villainy

#13 Post by mousethief » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:24 am

It's still pretty fun. You can always go to Rock and Bowl, Preservation Hall or anywhere that a local band is playing.

There's never a shortage of food, booze or music.

Kalman

User avatar
mark0tz
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Contact:

#14 Post by mark0tz » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:29 am

oh, dude, it's awesome on a non-event weekend. Some of the best music I heard was at non-exchange events during the pub crawl Thursday night... The four piece hot combo at Fritzels, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, some Bluesey/jazzy band at the Spotted Cat. And I only heard great things about Sunday night at Fritzels, Donna's, and elsewhere. The only problem is that dance space is limited in those places, and the local lindy scene is a little sparse (from what I've been told). If you're travelling with friends, though... you could go to two or three venues a night and never get bored.
Mike Marcotte

User avatar
main_stem
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

#15 Post by main_stem » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:34 am

julius wrote:walking around the french quarter i asked casey "so what's your scene like?" she said "well, we don't have many dancers, but we usually figure out a joint to hit and then we go dance." i said "you don't have a weekly DJed venue?" and she said "not really. there isn't a need" or something like that.

*sobs*
Gawd I would love to become obsolete if there was live music all the time.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Locked