Austin Exchange - the Theme WAS trumped by Music

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JohnDyer

#76 Post by JohnDyer » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:51 am

Anyone else hear Matt Jones' version of Summertime by Angelique Kidjo(sp?)? That song blew my mind. He spun it in the blues room Saturday late night I believe. Any other songs by her that people are spinning?

Matt's band break set on Saturday night was especially inspiring to me. The band Sunday night played quite a few uptempo numbers but they were so good, I never really noticed, I was too busy dancing. They were SO tight.

Kudos to all of the DJs there that kept me on the floor for the majority of all events, and for those I kept bugging for song names, thanks for your patience :)
John Dyer, Denver CO

gatorgal

#77 Post by gatorgal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:14 am

JohnDyer wrote:Anyone else hear Matt Jones' version of Summertime by Angelique Kidjo(sp?)? That song blew my mind. He spun it in the blues room Saturday late night I believe. Any other songs by her that people are spinning?
I was there (but unfortunately not dancing, no extra leads in the room) and you're right, that song was absolutely amazing. I plan on hitting him up for it the next time I see him.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Nate Dogg

#78 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:38 am

Unlike some of Matt's songs, this one is not too hard to find.

You can get it on Keep On Moving: The Best Of... or
Kidjo, Angelique Gershwin/G/H Amazing Grace [Polygram] [97]
Kidjo, Angelique Gershwin/G/H Jazz a Saint Germain [98]
Kidjo, Angelique Gershwin/G/H Keep on Moving: The Best of Angelique Kidjo [01]
Kidjo, Angelique Gershwin/G/H Natural Blues, Vol. 2 [02]
Kidjo, Angelique Gershwin/G/H Spirits of the World [00]
Kidjo, Angélique Gershwin/G/H/H San Carlo: Chill Out in Paris [02]

Of those, the cheapest way to get the song is the "Spirits of the World" compilation. Several are available for less than $2 on Half.com, I just picked up one.

gatorgal

#79 Post by gatorgal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:49 am

Thanks, Nate!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#80 Post by mousethief » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:55 am

Serg wrote:Thanks again to Nate for hooking me up with one his Lindy Essentials CDs.
which one? i have volume 19 & 20, i think.

kalman

GirlieGirl

#81 Post by GirlieGirl » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:42 am

Am I the only one that didn't like the bands? I mean they were *okay* for listening, but nothing that they played made me want to get out on the floor and dance. In fact, I avoided the main room at the Fed because of the bands. The only time I went in to dance was when Matt Jones played Traffic Jam and Diga Diga Doo. I could have cried I was so happy to hear some music that I wanted to dance to!!!!

And late night music... seemed that it was just one three hour long song. Where was the variety in tempo? And what the heck was with the blues room playing faster music than the main room?

Thank goodness I had good friends there to keep me entertained. Otherwise I would be really unhappy at what I experienced in Austin.

(*waiting to be flamed*)

Nate Dogg

#82 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:04 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:Am I the only one that didn't like the bands? I mean they were *okay* for listening, but nothing that they played made me want to get out on the floor and dance. In fact, I avoided the main room at the Fed because of the bands. The only time I went in to dance was when Matt Jones played Traffic Jam and Diga Diga Doo. I could have cried I was so happy to hear some music that I wanted to dance to!!!!

And late night music... seemed that it was just one three hour long song. Where was the variety in tempo? And what the heck was with the blues room playing faster music than the main room?

Thank goodness I had good friends there to keep me entertained. Otherwise I would be really unhappy at what I experienced in Austin.

(*waiting to be flamed*)
I don't know if you are going to be flamed, but, this thread pretty much told you exactly what to expect. I don't consider this post to be a flame. :wink:

Austin does not have a reputation for playing fast music.

Sunday after hours did have a bit more of what you were looking for I guess, one of the DJs from Seattle was DJing that portion.

I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of dancers who came to ALX had their expectations met or exceeded.

Austin is what it is. Sorry you were unhappy. But, you could have asked George or your other friends, they could have told you. Not much a surprise how things went down.

You can't please everybody. The music sounded like a typical Austin Lindy Exchange.

Maybe the Austin scene will change over time, who knows.

Nathan

GirlieGirl

#83 Post by GirlieGirl » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:46 pm

All of the music always sounds all alike? Eesh.

Nate Dogg

#84 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:03 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:All of the music always sounds all alike? Eesh.
For somebody who does not want to get flamed, you are throwing the bait out there.

I did not feel that all the music sounded alike. That was not a very common viewpoint in the feedback we have recieved thus far.

For an Exchange with 16 DJs and multiple rooms at most of the venues, I felt we had a lot variety.

GirlieGirl

#85 Post by GirlieGirl » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:05 pm

I guess that's all in perspective, isn't it?

KevinSchaper

#86 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:08 pm

I thought it was much more diverse than 2 years ago, when the grand total of swing era songs was something like 7.

The odd thing, as I see it, with that reputation is that it was really clear to me when I was DJing (even on thursday night when it was mostly locals) that nobody in austin has any trouble dancing to older or faster music..

The friday night band just didn't sound inspired or happy, saturday was better, but I think it's silly to take all the barn burners and play 'em at 170.. to me it felt like training wheels.

In terms of the room break up, I wish I'd figured out earlier that the thing to do is pick the room based on the DJ more than the label - and in fact, if I were planning, I would simply put the DJ names on the room and not give them a theme.

Lawrence

#87 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:08 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:Am I the only one that didn't like the bands? I mean they were *okay* for listening, but nothing that they played made me want to get out on the floor and dance. In fact, I avoided the main room at the Fed because of the bands.
From what I have heard, even from people with an incentive to criticize, yes, you do seem to be the only one.

I find it surprising that you have an opinion of anything more than a handful of songs played by the bands if you "avoided the main room." The variety might just have occurred when you were out of the room.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

GirlieGirl

#88 Post by GirlieGirl » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:18 pm

Just because I wasn't *in* the room didn't mean I didn't hear what was going on in there. The sound was loud, and it carried.

KevinSchaper

#89 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:21 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:Just because I wasn't *in* the room didn't mean I didn't hear what was going on in there. The sound was loud, and it carried.
hehehe, at one point I as in the blues room dancing to a slow ellington tune and summit ridge drive, sort of at the same time..

Mr Awesomer

#90 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:29 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:Am I the only one that didn't like the bands? I mean they were *okay* for listening, but nothing that they played made me want to get out on the floor and dance. In fact, I avoided the main room at the Fed because of the bands.
Lawrence wrote:From what I have heard, even from people with an incentive to criticize, yes, you do seem to be the only one.
KevinSchaper wrote:The friday night band just didn't sound inspired or happy, saturday was better, but I think it's silly to take all the barn burners and play 'em at 170.. to me it felt like training wheels.
I have nothing to add, just enjoying the show.
Reuben Brown
Southern California