Austin Exchange - the Theme WAS trumped by Music

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#61 Post by Lawrence » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:01 pm

(Edited out--The Fed dance got moved at the last minute)
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Platypus

#62 Post by Platypus » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:33 am

Loved the CD shopping/lunch trip. Great idea!

Looking forward to next year!

Nate Dogg

#63 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:01 pm

Platypus wrote:Loved the CD shopping/lunch trip. Great idea!

Looking forward to next year!
I enjoyed it. Thanks to all the DJs who helped out with the Exchange, including Kevin Schaper, Kevin Tamura, Sergio, Scott Angelis, JC, Jeremy Lewis, Kristina, Bill Borgida, Patty, Jerry Warwick, Kalman, George White, Matt Jones, Jeramie Anderson, Mary Grabhorn, Colin Wise, Westen, and Lawrence

I also would like to thank some of the non-working DJs for spending the weekend with us, these include Shorty Dave, Tina, and Big Cash (Keith from New Orleans).

It was great to be able to meet some of you first the first time.

Nathan

Moonmist

#64 Post by Moonmist » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:11 pm

No, no, thank you guys for letting us play around. Funny how you tummy is filled with junk food & cola and still can dance and lose weight at the same time! :wink:

Sorry I had to miss the CD shopping, but I am looking forward to next year already!

Lawrence

#65 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:04 pm

FYI... somewhat thanks to the grumblings of the outspoken few--many of whom, ironically enough, decided to not come to Austin because of all the promotional theme banter--the music DID trump the theme. There was VERY little theme banter, mostly because we soundly rejected the proposed pledge-skits and other theme-oriented distractions.

Moreover, the bands and DJs were great enough to make the theme somewhat superfluous.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

gatorgal

#66 Post by gatorgal » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:37 am

Just wanted to send out a quick thanks and kudos to Nate and Lawrence for the great work they and the folks of Austin did this weekend. I had a blast at the exchange, loved every minute of the music (live and DJ) and especially enjoyed meeting all the DJs and finally putting some of the faces to the names.

Special thanks to...

Nate for schlepping me around Austin, buying me lunch, and almost offering me his car when I thought I was stranded at LBJ.

Kristina for the war stories and girl talk at the shopping trip and an awesome blues set.

Lawrence for saving me from a certain dancer from California and taking care of my friend on Sunday night when I couldn't do it myself (me of course trying to be the solver of all problems and ultimate control freak!)

Great work all... and I hope to return to Austin very soon.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Mr Awesomer

#67 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:17 am

gatorgal wrote:saving me from a certain dancer from California
JC? :lol:
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Shorty Dave

#68 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:48 pm

Lawrence wrote:the music DID trump the theme.
Here here! Even JC played a great set of swingin' music as oppossed to the normal westie stuff! LOL!

This was definitely one of the best exchanges I've been to in awhile in terms of quantity *and* quality of dancing. The amount of dancers still remaining when after hours ended at 6am both nights (and it was still going strong when I left at 5:30am Sun night / Mon morning) was larger than the amount of people at peak time for after hours at other exchanges / weekend competitions

Also, kudos to ALX for not pretending to be something their not. We may hate to admit it, and there *definitely* are people who fall into multiple categories, but just as the LA Binge or ULHS caters to one type of swing dancer, ALX catered to another. It was definitely not monotonous (just ask Kevin and Kevin from Sun afterhours, or BillBee). And for myself and many others I spoke with, the music (both live and DJed) was some of the best music at any swing event. Especially great job with that Sat night big band...except, of course, for that goofy looking "bandleader" who couldn't stop talking between songs ;) lol

PLUS, ALX knows how to go the distance in terms of that Southern hospitality. Tons of free food and drinks, limo shuttle, free Mr Sinus (can't wait for next year's movie!), DJ shopping trip, etc, etc.

This was the first exchange in over two years that I've payed full price to be a "regular" (non-DJ) attendee, and it was totally worth it.

Lawrence

#69 Post by Lawrence » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:07 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:And for myself and many others I spoke with, the music (both live and DJed) was some of the best music at any swing event. Especially great job with that Sat night big band...except, of course, for that goofy looking "bandleader" who couldn't stop talking between songs ;) lol

PLUS, ALX knows how to go the distance in terms of that Southern hospitality. Tons of free food and drinks, limo shuttle, free Mr Sinus (can't wait for next year's movie!), DJ shopping trip, etc, etc.

This was the first exchange in over two years that I've payed full price to be a "regular" (non-DJ) attendee, and it was totally worth it.
Thanks, Dave. As for that goofy-looking "bandleader" :wink: , that was not my idea: it was the band's idea to help fill the dead space between songs as the band got oriented and got their charts ready. But I'm really glad that you came and that you liked the music.

BTW, that is a Cub's jacket I was wearing in my avatar. :-) I wasn;t kidding when I said that I'd been waiting for this year since I was four or five.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

mousethief

#70 Post by mousethief » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:05 am

GuruReuben wrote:
No, I had to be saved from JC. I'm betting a certain City by the Bay boy.

Kalman

gatorgal

#71 Post by gatorgal » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:48 am

GuruReuben wrote:
Not even... :)

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#72 Post by gatorgal » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:54 am

Shorty Dave wrote: Especially great job with that Sat night big band...except, of course, for that goofy looking "bandleader" who couldn't stop talking between songs ;) lol
I didn't think he looked "goofy"... I thought more along the lines of dorky :lol:.

Tina 8)

Nate Dogg

#73 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:37 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:" who couldn't stop talking between songs ;) lol

Dave:

Check out www.mrsinus.com, they have a list of all the available movies. For some reason, I thought Flashdance was on the list. But, I was wrong, maybe it is on their "planning to do" list.

In any case, let me know what you think. They are all good, but we used up to the two most obvious films in their arsenal (Dirty Dancing and Footloose).

Nathan

Serg

#74 Post by Serg » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:25 pm

Once more ALX made quite an impresson on me. Congratulations to all organizers. Big thanks to Lawrence and Nate for securing two sets. Thanks again to Nate for hooking me up with one his Lindy Essentials CDs. Two awesome songs that I did not have:

Darktown Strutter's Ball by Alberta Hunter
and
Shufflin' and Rollin' by Buddy Johnson

Serg

BillBee

#75 Post by BillBee » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:32 pm

Thanks to all the organizers for throwing a great party. And especially to all the DJs and musicians who played their hearts out.
I especially enjoyed the music on Sunday night.
I found it to be the best band to dance to, and the best night of spinning --
JC's swingin' set kept the dance floor energy high, and Kevin and Kevin spun one great tune after another! (Thanks for all the new tunes guys)

see you all at the next party (ALHC)
"To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak"