hooloovoo

ILHC -- Aug. 28-30, 2009 -- Washington, DC

#1 Post by hooloovoo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 pm

THE INTERNATIONAL LINDY HOP CHAMPIONSHIPS

IS BACK FOR ITS SECOND YEAR!

August 28-30, 2009
Washington, DC
http://www.ilhc.com

Don't miss out on one of the most exciting new events in Lindy Hop. Our first year was a smashing success with the finest dancers from all around the globe competing and dancing for three nights to the hot music of the Boilermaker Jazz Band and our line up of incredible DJ's.

ILHC is coming back with more great music by the Boilermakers in the same awesome location. The hotel is right next to National Airport and above one of DC's easy to navigate Metro subway stops. At $109 per night the hotel is a steal for all of its convenience!

This year we're going to bring you more awesome by adding even more social dance time and balancing the competition and workshop schedule to make it easier for everyone to participate with less stress

Check out our highlight video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76S-gZ4WBs

RSVP to our Facebook event page at
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=48324526987

The first 50 people pay only $119! After that its $129 until March 31st!
Registration open now at www.ILHC.com!

http://www.ilhc.com/

hooloovoo

#2 Post by hooloovoo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am

A FEW VERY IMPORTANT POINTS ABOUT ILHC

1. Aside from Frankie's 95th Birthday and The Jefferson County Montana 3rd Grade Spelling Expo, it is the only other event of the year YOU WILL BE TERRIBLY SAD IF YOU MISS.

2. International level contests in Lindy Showcase, Lindy Classic, Team, Pro-Am, Solo Charleston, Cabaret, Strictly Open, Champions Strictly, Jack and Jill, Open jack and Jill, Advanced Jack and Jill, Champions Jack and Jill, Strictly Balboa, Balboa Jack and Jill.

3. Incredible workshops with great instructors such as Nick Williams, Carla Heiny, Andy Reid, Naomi Uyama, Max Pitruzella, Annie Trudeau, Ramona Staffeld, Skye Humphries, and Frida Segerdahl.

4. All the incredible sights and sounds of our nations capital, Washington D.C., as well as tons of monuments named after people you only vaguely rememebr about from history class.

5. World-renown swing judges such as Sylvia Sykes, Steven Mitchell, Valerie Salstrom, Kenneth and Helena, and many more!

6. Incredible music by The Boilermaker Jazz Band and some of the country's greatest DJs.

7. On May 1st, the price goes from $139 to $149! Register now! www.ilhc.com.

hooloovoo

#3 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Starting August 1, the price for ILHC admission will rise to $159. However, you can still get admission at the incredibly low price of $149.

Here are only a few of the many reasons to sign up for ILHC
1. The trophies can be used effectively on burglars.
2. Contests in International level contests in Lindy Showcase, Lindy Classic, Team, Pro-Am, Solo Charleston, Cabaret, Strictly Open, Champ ions Strictly, Jack and Jill, Open jack and Jill, Advanced Jack and Jill, Champions Jack and Jill, Strictly Balboa, Balboa Jack and Jill.
3. With the number of contests, you have a twenty percent chance of winning one by sheer odds alone.
4. Four nights of incredible dancing, and all in a hotel, so your room is at most a hundred foot crawl away.
5. Classes taught by such incredible instructors as Nick and Carla, Max and Annie, Skye and Frida, Naomi Uyama, Ramona Staffeld, and Andy Reid.
6. Now’s your chance to see some of those so-called “historical monuments” you don’t remember visiting in 6th grade.
7. An Incredibly low price for a dance weekend, with over $12,000 in prizes!

hooloovoo

#4 Post by hooloovoo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:22 pm

We apologize for the last ILHC announcement; the pricing listed in the email was incorrect; the price is currently $159 and goes up to $169 August 1st. for a regular weekend pass. The International and student rate, however, is currently $144.

We also want to assure you that Gimpy, the Fact Checking Chimp, will be fired immediately.

hooloovoo

#5 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 am

[1940s radio voice]
ILHC is proud to present this serial drama in 5 parts. If you choose a competition weekend this year to go to, choose ILHC. "It's Good!" Now, with more iodine. Visit www.ILHC.com.
[/1940s radio voice]

PRIDE AND PRETZEL-TURNS

A novella in 5 volumes. By the author of "Sense and Swingability.."

Chapter 1: Lonliness and Lindy

IT IS A TRUTH UNIVERSALLY ACKNOWLEDGED, that a single leader in possession of great Lindy Hop skills must be in want of a partner.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood dance, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding young follows, that he is mentally considered as the rightful property of some, if not, all of them.

"My dear sisters," said Lydia, the youngest of the Furrough sisters of Virginia Tech. "I hear there are two professionals from DC at the dance here tonight. Ann Bingle’s older brother, Jeffy, and his mysterious friend. Someone said his name was Remington Darcy Bassington Stone the 73rd or something. He’s tall, dark, and has this floppy curly hair that he flings around when he dances. I think he’s oh-so-handsome. Especially when I found out that he’s just got back from teaching at Herrang. And can you believe it? And neither of them have a partner! I bet you by the end of the night I will have one of them begging to dance with me in the ILHC strictly."

Jane, the eldest, checked her sister. "Now, now, don’t get your hopes up. If they are professionals, why would they concern themselves with us? They could dance with some of the greatest followers in the world."

"Don’t underestimate your abilities, Jane" said Victoria, the second-to-eldest, and a young woman praised for her dry wit and classic complexion. "They’d be charlatans indeed if they weren’t impressed with you."

It soon came about that Mr. Bingle and Mr. Stone were in town using the school’s facilities to practice a Charleston dance number for ILHC. Mr. Bingle, though rather quick to discuss The Smiths at length, was immediately considered a genial fellow and his dancing was well-praised by all. By the end of the night, the only criticism people could hold against him was that he had danced nearly every other song with Jane, leaving many of the other followers wanting. His friend however, had sat out the entire night, refusing to dance. Whispers circulated around the room, and the general consensus was that, though he brooded a great deal and had dark floppy curls, he was simply another DC rock star who was too good to dance with students and too cliquish to make new friends.

Victoria Furroughs had been obliged to sit out for a song due to her dislike of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and had been near enough to Mr. Stone to overhear a conversation he had with Mr. Bingle.

"Come now, Remmy," Mr. Bingle said, wiping the sweat from his horn-rimmed glasses. “You must dance. I have never seen so many pretty girls at once."

"You have been dancing with the only handsome girl in the room," Mr. Stone said, motioning to Jane Furroughs.

"She is beautiful, isn’t she?" he said. "I think perhaps she is the best follow I have ever danced with. And there is her sister sitting down behind you, who looks to be a great dancer from what I have seen."</p><p> "Which do you mean," and turning around, he looked for a moment at Vicky, until catching her eye. He turned away and said, coldly “She is tolerable, but I’m sure not a good enough follow to get me on the dance floor tonight. Especially since they haven't played one song from 1933 to 1937. Go back to your partner, you are wasting your time on me."

Mr. Bingle followed his advice, Mr. Stone went back to playing Boggle on his iPhone, and Victoria remained with no very cordial feelings for Mr. Stone.

Next week: Chapter 2: Jadedness and Jams.

www.ilhc.com

written by Bobby White

hooloovoo

#6 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm

ILHC presents part 2 of this dramatic serial, “Pride and Pretzel-Turns.”
But first, did you know…July is the final time to get the incredible ILHC discount of $159 before the costs goes up? And that competition slots are filling up fast in Strictly, Jack and Jills, Classic, Showcase, Balboa, Team, and Cabaret!

Pride and Pretzel-Turns

A novella in 5 volumes. By the author of "Pride and Pretzel-turns."

Chapter 2: Jams and Jadedness

At the next week’s dance, Mr. Bingle once again danced most of the night with Jane, this time even venturing to do the Nasty Blues with her, though he was known for not liking Blues dancing. Mr. Stone sat in a corner and did not dance, claiming he had pulled something in his and Mr. Bingles earlier practice. It was of little concern to the follows of Virginia Tech, however; aside from their chilled feelings toward Mr. Stone, a group of advanced leads that was touring dance events around the country had come to town and there was hardly a follow not attended to.
Among these was the dashing figure of Mr. Wickaughby, [A note to Americans: Pronounced “WICK-a-bee”] who had a plumage of bandana scarf about his neck, despite the 90 degree weather, and jeans so tight that if he stood in place for too long his legs would fall asleep. Upon seeing his exuberant and flashy style, followers around the room began anxiously awaiting his offer to dance and have his sweat flung upon them.
Enjoying making things awkward for Mr. Stone, Victoria had positioned herself near his person, and had spent the entire night dancing with her partners in front of him. At one point in the evening, Mr. Stone rose and approached Victoria as if to ask her to dance, however, Mr. Wickaughby at that very moment approached her from behind and asked.
After a speedy acceptance, Victoria noted a shocked look on Mr. Stone’s face upon meeting eyes with Mr. Wickaughy. Mr. Wickaughby himself was also stunned at beholding the sight of Mr. Stone. Any further awkwardness was avoided, however, when Mr. Stone quickly turned and left the ballroom.
"You know Mr. Stone?" Mr. Wickaughby asked, as they entered side-by-side Charleston.
Yes I know him,” she replied, and he seemed squeamish and missed a lead. "I know him--to be a priggish, supercilious, and, I daresay, a bit of a D-bag," she added.
"Oh, yes, well, I didn’t know if you had heard the story of what he had done to me." He said.
Victoria, who was usually not one for talking while dancing, now began keeping herself in closed position simply to hear him better. "Why, I dare say, what has he done to you?"
"Well, you know, I was meant to be a swing dance teacher. We learned to dance in the same city, Mr. Stone and I; and I even began partnering with his sister. Soon we were teaching local classes, and putting on dances. I think he grew jealous, though. He demanded that she stop partnering with me, you see, and he took over our classes. We were well matched, and I think we might have done very well in the competitions that year. I hate telling you all of this now, but I feel you deserve an explanation as to why I drove him away from you just now."
"No apology necessary," Victoria said. "In fact, if his character is as you say, I should be thanking you for driving him away. And please, call me Vicky."
After their first dance, which both parties found highly agreeable, Mr. Wickoughby made it a point to dance with Victoria as much as possible, stopping only to dance with her younger sister, Lydia. Lydia herself had made the rounds that night, attempting her charms on every man possible, hoping to find an ILHC partner. Vicky, not usually susceptible to such thoughts, could not help leaving the dance thinking that it would be a very good thing indeed to compete with Mr. Wickoughby, and help him become the teacher he was destined to be.
Later that night, while waiting for her sisters, Victoria sat on a couch outside of the ballroom reading a book, with Mr. Stone awkwardly playing a game of Whist on his iPhone nearby. She was soon joined by a group of the college’s drunken Sigma Pi pledges who had come to the dance to pick up freshmen and carry them back to their dorms.
"What are you reading?" asked one of them.
"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies."
"Oh, I heard it was really good," said one of the guys, who was wearing a sweaty wife-beater. "I hear that its humorous twist helps modern readers appreciate the greatness of Jane Austen’s writing."
"The original text did a far better job of that," she said. She denied herself the pleasure of adding that the only reason she was reading it was that a book full of drooling brain-dead creatures was far better company than their own.
Upon hearing her reply, a pleased smile grew across Mr. Stone’s face that did not escape Victoria’s attention. Her sisters soon joined her and they left together. The next week, Mr. Wickoughby wrote on her Facebook wall no less than five times.

Next week: Chapter 3: Tenacity and Tuck-Turns

Written by Bobby White

hooloovoo

#7 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Important ILHC information!
Before we get to our next exciting episode of "ILHC's Pride and Pretzel-Turns," there is some important information about ILHC.

There are only 3 DAYS LEFT before the final Early-bird deadline and you won't be able to get tickets for $159 anymore! In case you forgot, here is briefly why you will want to sign up for ILHC.

1. Four days of great dancing and competitions--whether your watching or entering, it will be an incredible weekend, and a chance for you to cheer in twenty different languages.

2. Classes from some of the greatest competitors and social dancers in the world, including America's Nick and Carla, Max and Annie, Skye and Frida, and more.

3. A judging panel that is unmatched in competitions across the world including Sylvia Sykes and Steven Mitchell.

4. You will be a part of one of the largest competition weekends in the world, with world-renown DJs and the incredible Boilermaker Jazz Band!

5. There are contest for almost every dance and level imaginable, so everyone has a chance to show off. And trophies can be used in cannons to sink pirates.

6. Special rates for international travelers!

So, pack your bags, arrange your carpool, make a mix CD, and make way for DC. After registering at www.ILHC.com, of course.

Pride and Pretzel-Turns
A novella in 5 volumes. By the author of "Sense and Swingability"
Chapter 3: Tenacity and Tuck-Turns

Two weeks before ILHC, Virgina Tech once again had a dance (They hold a lot of dances over the summer, for a college swing club, don’t they?). Mr. Wickoughby, however, would not be able to make it, much to Vicky’s annoyance, as she was almost sure he was planning to ask her to compete at ILHC and she wanted to practice.
After an hour of spiritless dances, she gathered her things to leave, when suddenly Mr. Stone appeared at her side and held out a hand.
"It will not do, my feelings cannot be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I would like to dance with you and possibly take you to a movie sometime. I hear ‘Up’ is quite good."
Victoria's astonishment was beyond expression, which seemed sufficient encouragement for Mr. Stone to continue.
"Of course, I cannot deny that this is not the greatest match I could hope for. You come in too quickly on swing-outs and have an affinity for music made after 1939 that cannot easily be tolerated. But, against my taste, and my judgment, I’d like for us to train together and compete at ILHC."
Victoria finally found her voice.
"I believe it is the established mode to graciously thank one of such rank as yourself and accept, however, I do not feel happiness. Especially in light of your predilection for destroying dance careers and your insulting way of asking me to dance with you."
Mr. Stones complexion became pale with anger.
"Do you expect me to rejoice in your situation? To congratulate myself on getting you as a partner? You didn’t dance to 'King Porter Stomp' tonight, but you did dance to 'Ding Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line.' You followed a pretzel un-ironically. You probably don’t even own a real pair of Keds. But I know the spirit of Lindy Hop when I see it, and I refuse to let it be hidden under a bushel. And as to this other matter-- what dancer’s career have I supposedly destroyed?"
"You know it is Mr. Wickoughby whom you have treated most foully."
"Mr. Wickoughby? Mr. Wichoughby? You seem to take a great deal of interest in Mr. Wickoughby."
Victoria guessed his thoughts.
"He has nothing to do with me refusing your proposal, Mr. Stone. You alone have done that fully and completely. From the very first moment of my acquaintance with you, your manners have impressed me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, conceit, and selfish disdain for the feelings of others, especially beginning students. You can rest assured, if I felt any regret in the first place, your method of proposal has spared me the concern which I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner."
At these words, Mr. Stone himself lost all coulour in his face. "I fully comprehend your feelings. I apologize for taking up so much of your time."
Mr. Stone retreated to the couches outside the Ballroom to brood, and Victoria, not desiring another confrontation, danced for another half an hour. When she finally had decided to leave, Mr. Stone approached her again, this time his hand typing something into his iPhone.
"I have just written you an email. Please do me the honor of reading it." He hit send on his screen, and the iPhone buried in her dance bag blinged. He gave a small bow and hastily left the dance. Vicky had only made it to the couches outside the ballroom before curiosity tore her attention to the email.
"Do not be alarmed that this email contains any further reiteration of the sentiments I mentioned tonight that were so repelling to you. I write only out of duty, to set aright the two accusations you have delivered upon me. The first is that I showed great arrogance to the beginner dancers of your school, presumably by not dancing with them, and perhaps by my natural tendency to sit in corners and brood. I obviously cannot deny that I did not dance with them. However, when first we had met, I had come from teaching a week in Herrang, where I spent every night dancing with beginner students, a lot of which to music I did not find particularly inspiring. When I was finally home, dancing for enjoyment, and tired from a long day of practicing, I desired nothing but the ability to enjoy an evening with no dancing obligations. If any of the beginner dancers had asked me to dance, I would gladly have accepted. I fear though that my introverted nature and my exhausted demeanor came across as snobbish. But I do not regret my actions, they were just and natural."
"Now to the matter of Mr. Alabaster Pinkerton Wickoughby. He was correct only in saying that we had learned to dance together in DC. As to the other aspects of his story, I will lay the facts before you. Mr. Wickoughby came to the scene after college. He was enthusiastic about teaching, but was new to dancing himself, and I discerned from his conversation that he only wanted to be thought of as an authority, was only in dancing for the glory, and would never be willing to consider himself a student, which I believe is the most important aspect of teaching. I do not deny that I tried to keep him from teaching, as I thought it poisonous to the beginners of the scene to be taught by such a one as him. The fatal blow came when he began partnering with, and soon after dating, my fifteen-year-old sister. I demanded she stop spending time with him, and, being of a good spirit at heart, she saw the tribulations she was heading for if she stayed with him. My father threatened to call the police, which was when he left town. I took over his classes and started a weekly dance. For proof of all this, you need only ask Mr. Bingle, who was present as all of these events occurred. Though, not when Mr. Bingle and my sister made-out, to my knowledge. All the best."
--Remington FitzHerbert Darcy-Bassington Stone, XII, Esq.
Sent from my iPhone."
That night, on the car ride home, Victoria revealed the night’s events in detail to her eldest sister Jane.
"At first, I was incensed that Mr. Stone had such terrible excuses for his action. But, upon second thought, I began to understand, at least partially, where he was coming from with the beginner dancer’s thing. As for the Mr. Wickoughby part, I denied that Mr. Stone’s side of the story could be true at all. But then I began thinking: Mr. Wickoughby himself never dances with anyone but me and Lydia, and he was only willing to tell me all about how Mr. Stone destroyed his life after only knowing me for a moment, and only after he found out I disliked Mr. Stone. There is something strange in that."
"Mr. Stone does say Mr. Bingle can testify to the events, and we have never known him to lie."
"True, true. Tis sad, Jane. It appears that, though Wickoughby has all the charm, it is Mr. Stone who has all the facts. It’s a pitty they can’t be combined."
Next week: Chapter 4: Flips and Floppy-Hairness.

written by Bobby White