July 4th – Lindy Summit DJ Stew: Rules of Engagement

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

#16 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:26 am

[quote="GuruReuben"
1. Pulling the curtains to taken any "popularity" advantage away. The audience will vote on light "A" or light "B," which will be lit according to the DJ who's playing.
[/quote]

oooh, that's nice.... they need to be able to see though too... you should get some horrible old paintings and cut the eyes out, so they can watch the floor scooby do style.

Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:32 am

Good call. We'll figure something out to make sure DJs can still watch the dance floor flow. So you wanna play next year Kevin? hee hee
Reuben Brown
Southern California

KevinSchaper

#18 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:44 am

GuruReuben wrote:Good call. We'll figure something out to make sure DJs can still watch the dance floor flow. So you wanna play next year Kevin? hee hee
I dunno, I'd probably choke and player Fever five times in a row.

I love the anonymity though - that you'd have to earn the applause even from your best friends..

ooh, you could have a side prize for whoever could guess who all the DJs were based on their music..

GemZombie

#19 Post by GemZombie » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:42 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Good call. We'll figure something out to make sure DJs can still watch the dance floor flow. So you wanna play next year Kevin? hee hee
I like the ideas for the changes.

I want to play next year. I really enjoyed it this time around, and the music played was consistantly good!

julius

#20 Post by julius » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:49 pm

make sure the applause meter is suspended over the crowd, otherwise i could like lean into it and SCREAM into it and my yell would be about 10,000 times louder than anybody else in the room because of the inverse square law.

SirScratchAlot

#21 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:47 pm

julius wrote:make sure the applause meter is suspended over the crowd, otherwise i could like lean into it and SCREAM into it and my yell would be about 10,000 times louder than anybody else in the room because of the inverse square law.
It was pretty and pretty even down the line, everybody screamed for eveyone.

I think Tanya had the loudest cheers...SHE is a always a FAVORITE where ever she DJ's, AND SHE GOT DECLINED to DJ at Lindygroove...LOL
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Petitetonya

#22 Post by Petitetonya » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:25 pm

Wow, this is a great resource...I just found out about this in detail during the Lindy Summit.

Thanks Peter, I am glad you like my djing! That means a lot coming from a swing/jazz music coniseur like yourself.

I thought the dj battle was such a great concept...it was really fun and I loved the format. Great job Reuben; aside from a couple of gliches which you are changing for next year, I thought it was really successful.

It is funny you mention the Lindy Groove thang...yeah, I sent a cd comp into them a year or two ago and they didn't like my mix. They really loved my mix the other night and ironically enough, have asked to fly me out to dj there. I am not sure what the difference is, I am guessing they have become more lenient on their swing/groove mix they like at the club? I did mention to them that although I mix it up, I play a lot of vintage music and I wouldn't be willing to play all groove music if I dj'd there and they were okay with that. It will be interesting to see what the response is when I dj at a Lindy Groove night. I tend to play a mix...I won't just NOT play something because it isn't vintage. My heart is in vintage music, so I tend to play about 75% vintage and 25% all other (blues, groove, fun stuff, etc.) just to mix it up a bit. If I am at a venue that has all vintage music freaks like myself, I have a lot of fun just spinning the old school tunes all night. However, when I am hired to dj, I really watch the dancers carefully. If I am clearing the floor with a song or style of song, I change it up right away. In Seattle, I am pretty fortunate...we really love vintage music here. Depending on the night though, my set sounds different since the crowds are different and want to hear different things. Tip wants me to start djing at the SwingPit on a regular basis once I move there...that will be lots of fun since he and Mike always know how to put on a fun night. I am really excited to move down to LA...woohoo!

SirScratchAlot

#23 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:42 am

Yeah man! We can't wait for you to get down here! The more You DJ the better! I seriously hope Seattle doesn;t go to shit...but I'm sure you left it in good hands.

You at the groove? LOL!!!! Just play 1930's groove.....HAHAHA
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Petitetonya

#24 Post by Petitetonya » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:08 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:Yeah man! We can't wait for you to get down here! The more You DJ the better! I seriously hope Seattle doesn;t go to shit...but I'm sure you left it in good hands.

Seattle should be in good hands...we have some strong dj's like Travis, Joon and Kevin T that represent with the old stuff. Also, I am getting Leigh into the mix and he plays really good stuff.

You at the groove? LOL!!!! Just play 1930's groove.....HAHAHA
Ha ha, actually, that is my plan, I was just talking to Sean about that the other night...I have some good *old* music that grooves...

main_stem

#25 Post by main_stem » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:55 am

SirScratchAlot wrote: I seriously hope Seattle doesn;t go to shit...
Gee thanks Peter :P [yes I am dripping sarcasm]
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Petitetonya

#26 Post by Petitetonya » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:14 am

we have a handful of great dj's in Seattle...Kevin being one of them. There are some new dj's in Seattle now that are just learning...if they are steered in the right direction, then Seattle will continue to be bad ass. Kevin and I talked about getting together with the upcoming dj's to talk to them about music, etc. so they can improve their djing.

I was pleasantly surprised with Brenda's set last night. The first time I heard Brenda dj, there wasn't any lindy hop music being played and I was really disappointed. She totally played a mix last night with a lot of awesome vintage music...I was so excited and relieved. I heard that she played a good set at One Oclock Jump the other weekend as well. When I asked her about it, she mentioned that she has been taking a lot of tips from this forum and the more she is buying and listening to music, the more she prefers the old stuff. Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool...it makes me so happy to have another good dj spinning in Seattle. Keep it up Brenda and continue in the direction you are going.

djstarr

#27 Post by djstarr » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:40 pm

Thanks Tonya! I got a lot of compliments on what I played last night, I was really pleased.

It is quite a struggle to figure out what and when to play; this forum really helps especially when people post set lists; I learned so much from going to Harlem and listening, then coming back and reading the set lists and getting the CDs.

I know I really appreciate Kevin T's set list posts on Seattle Delphi - btw, Kevin, you blew my mind at VLE - I liked everything you DJ'ed and I think you keep getting better and better.

I'd be totally open to some DJ listening sessions with you guys - that would be very cool (we could even invite Peter ;-) ).

There are also some other DJ's (such as Alex) who have great collections, but aren't quite ready to make the leap to do venues such as the Century.

Petitetonya

#28 Post by Petitetonya » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:04 pm

I am definately going to attempt to organize something for the newbie dj's in town...maybe even a list of favorite artists, etc. to reference and tips. Especially since there are so many new dj's wanting to get up in the booth right now. Leigh is going to be djing the Century this month...I recommended him to Hallie, I think he will potentially be a very good dj...I have loved hearing him dj the times he has spun tunes around town.

lindyholic

#29 Post by lindyholic » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:43 pm

One thing I enjoy as a DJ is getting feedback from other DJs. Kevin T.'s been really good about helping me along with things (Kevin, check out the last 10 thread, you'll see 3 new cds I got thanks to that CD you made me). I always appreciate people's criticism/compliments. I want to be a really good DJ because I love this music so much. Everyone's willing to help out too....Mike's been giving me a lot of CD's to buy that he thinks is really good. I think it's great that everyone's willing to help each other out. So whenever I DJ from now on, I always ask people what they thought and ask them to be 100% honest about what they thought about my set.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#30 Post by djstarr » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:08 am

Harrison - I also had fun listening to Lunceford and Blues in Orbit on the drive down to Seattle with you --- that's what we need to do more of - DJ road trips!