July 4th – Lindy Summit DJ Stew: Rules of Engagement

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

#1 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:06 pm

Best part of this is that I haven't even told those participating in this yet, but here's how it's going to go down at Lindy Summit's DJ Stew coming up on July 4th.

The night begins at 8:00 pm with the Slow Swing prelim. Directly following this, all battling DJs must be in attendance. Those DJs not in attendance at this time will be removed from participation.

At this time, DJs will draw numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Pure luck of the draw decides your position; change your strategy accordingly.

DJs 1 and 2 will battle first. Back to back battle will commence for 20 minutes time, starting with DJ 1. Yes, that means you’ll have only 3 songs (4 if you’re lucky) to prove your ass should stay on stage. Last song to be started within that 20-minute block will end the battle.

At this time the audience will QUICKLY decide who stays and who goes. And when I say quickly, I mean it. DJ voted out gets the rest of the night off.

DJ 3 will then step up to battle the remaining DJ. Challenging DJ will always start the battle. What will it take to get the incumbent DJ voted off? Do your best to do so. Again, after only 20 minutes the audience will decide who continues… and who gets kicked off stage.

The battle will continue using the pattern above. The DJ who remains at the end of this rotation will have the room in their hands for the remainder of the evening. Who will have been on stage the longest? Who will remain at the end? What will the audience be in the mood for that night, and whom will best fill their appetites? Will DJ 1 have to fight all night to get the “glory,” or will DJ 8 steal it away at the very end? That’s all part of the fun, and again all in the luck of the draw. Good luck.

Notes:
·There will be a break in the battle about ½ way through the night for the Slow Swing finals. Who moves on following the contest will be decided before said break takes place, so that the DJs are fresh in mind.

·There will be 2 DJing awards at the end of the evening. Award 1 will be for the DJ who held the stage for the longest period of time. Award 2 will be for the DJ who held the stage at the end of the rotation. Award yet to be determined, but we’ll cook something up.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

KevinSchaper

#2 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:02 pm

Cool format - but how are you gonna keep the audience aware of who is playing what?

people lose track really easily, seems like you'd need to almost use a mic and announce at the end of a song who played it.

haha, or have a PA on each side of the room..

Mr Awesomer

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:27 pm

Can you say big red flashy lights?

...or something simular in nature, but I'll make sure it can be easily determined who's playing what. It'll just be up to the dancers to actually pay attention to said ques, but hey if they want to vote blindly that'll be their choice to do so. The night will be completely guided by the dancers.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

yedancer

#4 Post by yedancer » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:54 am

COOL!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:00 am

Of course, the only problem I see is that the crowd is a lot more likely to vote for the rockstar DJs like Justin and Jenn than for a podunk DJ like me. Ah, the pressure will be on.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:27 am

I thought of that too... which is why I actually want to HIDE the DJs... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull that off in time.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#7 Post by djstarr » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:14 pm

so Joel from Vancouver told me he was competing - who else is in the lineup? Sounds like a lot of fun.......

SirScratchAlot

#8 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:49 am

I guarantee the DJ's that Play SLOW Groovie music will get their ASSES booed right fuck out of there...LOL

That is the best warning and advise I can give anyone reading this board and coming to DJ....

"This is the real LA..... not the fuckin Lindy Groove"
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

WeOwnYou

#9 Post by WeOwnYou » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:55 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:I guarantee the DJ's that Play SLOW Groovie music will get their ASSES booed right fuck out of there...LOL

That is the best warning and advise I can give anyone reading this board and coming to DJ....

My friend, one day groove music will be boo'd everywhere. onde day....
-------------------

SirScratchAlot

#10 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:41 am

WeOwnYou wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:I guarantee the DJ's that Play SLOW Groovie music will get their ASSES booed right fuck out of there...LOL

atleast by those who enjoy Lindy Hopping in peace....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

#11 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:40 am

KevinSchaper wrote:Cool format - but how are you gonna keep the audience aware of who is playing what?

people lose track really easily, seems like you'd need to almost use a mic and announce at the end of a song who played it.

haha, or have a PA on each side of the room..
It was acually pretty obvious who plays what, Reuben for the most part used the way we have alwasy done, except he just used Lamps instead or the fancy name board we used to use.

The bummer was He didn;t take it to heart as to who acually won(which is perhaps for the better?) . I don;t think Reuben wanted to spend any time on figuring out who was louder for who, or play Favs.

IF anyone ever does this either use an Applause meter or get some Judges to decide.....

all the DJ's kicked ass.....but as to crowd response and the selcetion to continue DJing A couple got dissed...

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:35 pm

I always asked the DJs afterwards to make sure they felt my call was fair (on the close calls) and not a one said they thought it was bad call or said they felt dissed. You're right though, I didn't want it to take to long to call who continues, so I had to make the best call I could from what I could hear and do it as fast as possible. The only thing that really sucked is we ran out of time at the end so the last face off wasn't a full 20 minutes. Next year we'll make sure we have more time... and we'll pull the curtains.

Anyway, here's how it went down:

1. Kyle Smith
2. Tonya Surface

2. Tonya Surface
3. JC

2. Tony Surface
4. Jenn Salvadori

4. Jenn Salvadori
5. Giselle Angizola

5. Giselle Angizola
6. Justin Zillman

6. Justin Zillman
7. Jeremy Barwick

6. Justin Zillman
8. Joel from Vancouver

6. Justin Zillman
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:01 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:
WeOwnYou wrote:

atleast by those who enjoy Lindy Hopping in peace....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:o :o :o ("yawn")
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:09 am

Lawrence wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:o :o :o ("yawn")
Don't want to practice what you preach I see. haha.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:18 am

Okay, so after some behind the scenes discussion we'll definitely have a few tweak if we do this again next year. Conceptually everything worked awesomely, but with two small changes we'll have a perfect format:

1. Pulling the curtains to taken any "popularity" advantage away. The audience will vote on light "A" or light "B," which will be lit according to the DJ who's playing.
2. Electronic "applause-o-meter" to call the close calls. The more responsibility that's taken away from me the better... I'll just be able to say "screw you guys, talk to the 'applause-o-meter,' it told me so." haha
Reuben Brown
Southern California